Iconic Mean Green Football Moments

3XNTGRAD

22 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

Beating the MUTS in 01' when they rolled in to town as the big dog of the conference and their Hicks 4 Heisman campaign.  We were coming off a conference opening loss at ULM where RV supposedly attempted to fire Dickey but was overruled by the BOR.  We beat the MUTS, Dwone Hicks, their prized running back got tired of getting hammered by our D and was diagnosed with "Loser's Limp" in the second half and we won starting the long conference winning streak.

Wasn’t there a punt late in the game that traveled about 90 yards?  

1 hour ago, UNTLifer said:

Beating the MUTS in 01' when they rolled in to town as the big dog of the conference and their Hicks 4 Heisman campaign.  We were coming off a conference opening loss at ULM where RV supposedly attempted to fire Dickey but was overruled by the BOR.  We beat the MUTS, Dwone Hicks, their prized running back got tired of getting hammered by our D and was diagnosed with "Loser's Limp" in the second half and we won starting the long conference winning streak.

This was my freshman year.  We were 0-5, and they were 5-0.  The students stormed the field, tore down the posts, and carried them to Riprocks?  I was hooked.  MGFFL!

The Scott Davis vs Billy Joe Tolliver NT vs Texas Tech game.  I “willed” the Tolliver fumble late in the game.  Tech fans had pelted us with tortillas all night.  When we came back and won, we threw them back and the tortilla toss became a NT tradition for a few years. 

Win this Saturday.

GO MEAN GREEN

• Upvote 3

The first time we played Western Kentucky at Fouts.  It was raining with temps at 33 degrees.  The band very well may have outnumbered the fans in the stands.  The win was followed by a bench-clearing brawl at mid field.   I remember Vizza hurling a game ball during the fight that clanked off of a WKU player’s noggin.

2 hours ago, FirefightnRick said:

Among many listed above....beating Tech in Fouts-West out in Lubbuttocks and Crushing Rice in Houston, both SWC schools while we were an FCS program at the time.

Rick

I wish I could have been to one of the Tech games, but never could. 

I did get to see the Rice win back then. That was also a great win given the conference situation at the time.

• Upvote 1

1976 Florida State "Snow Bowl" A fun game pelting the Seminoles with Snow balls

The 28-0 Thrashing of Univ of Houston at Texas Stadium, in 1975  was another good one as well

Beating smuT in 1977 was sweet

Beating Oklahoma State was special as well and I believe it was in Texas stadium as were the U of H and smuT games.

Plus all the above recent games the Rice standoff and utSA games stick out

WIN GAMES

BEAT liberty!!!!

GO MEAN GREEN!!!!

3 hours ago, UNT 90 Grad said:

The first time we played Western Kentucky at Fouts.  It was raining with temps at 33 degrees.  The band very well may have outnumbered the fans in the stands.  The win was followed by a bench-clearing brawl at mid field.   I remember Vizza hurling a game ball during the fight that clanked off of a WKU player’s noggin.

That game still ranks as #1 for me as the most miserable i have ever been at a football game.  

On a side note, that is the day i first meet Johnny Jones as we shared a drink or two on the "Deck" trying to warm ourselves up a little.

26 minutes ago, GreenN'walinsVet said:

That game still ranks as #1 for me as the most miserable i have ever been at a football game.  

On a side note, that is the day i first meet Johnny Jones as we shared a drink or two on the "Deck" trying to warm ourselves up a little.

Indeed it was MISERABLE! I was huddled under cover on the Deck also. (Raises right hand, left hand on Bible) - I swear that this is the ONE AND ONLY TIME in my life that I have left a football game at halftime. I further swear that this is the ONLY time that I have ever left a North Texas game before the singing of the Alma Mater...win or lose. EVER.

On 9/19/2018 at 3:46 PM, 3XNTGRAD said:

I was fortunate enough to be in the stands at Arkansas to watch Peter Pan fly, which got me thinking about the iconic moments in Mean Green Football that I also got to see in person. My list is below (approximate reverse chronological order). What is on yours?

- "The Return" or Peter Pan flies at Arkansas 
- The Drive versus UTSA
- The Heart of Dallas win over UNLV
- The Stand versus Rice
- The NCAA record scoring game (at the time) loss against Navy 
- The seven overtimes win against FIU
- The New Orleans Bowl victory over Cincinnati
- The amazing home game against New Mexico State to clinch our 2nd N.O. Bowl
- The Brawl at the end of the first half against SMU in 1990 and the subsequent win

The New Orleans Bowl win over Cincinnati in 2002

The Navy loss at Fouts in 2007 - one of the most highest scoring games in college football history 

Was at your first 4 listed. The latter part of the list was before my UNT fandom. 

I think the 2017 Army game has to be added. I know it's very what have you done for me lately thing to say, but the game was a classic. I also think it showed the grit and character of this team/program more so than anything I have seen. It wasn't a particular drive or moment, but entire game of grittiness. And I loved it. 

Edited by NorthTexasWeLove

5 hours ago, EagleMBA said:

Indeed it was MISERABLE! I was huddled under cover on the Deck also. (Raises right hand, left hand on Bible) - I swear that this is the ONE AND ONLY TIME in my life that I have left a football game at halftime. I further swear that this is the ONLY time that I have ever left a North Texas game before the singing of the Alma Mater...win or lose. EVER.

We watched most of that game on the video screen from under our tailgate tent with two fire pits going, wearing coats, wrapped in blankets, and with ponchos over the top. Still froze our asses off. 

Pretty sure we ran into the stadium and on the field when we won. 

10399272_524182292574_2636_n.jpg

10399272_524182302554_3287_n.jpg

• Haha 1
  • Ray 1