DMN: UNT Colleges Footballs Sleeping Giant Becoming Nationally Relevant

TheReal_jayD

It was pretty positive. Pointed out the replays of The Return are everywhere and Brewer's been interviewed by everyone. Baker is quoted as, ""I told our marketing people this morning that they were brilliant," UNT athletic director Wren Baker said. "I can't think of a strategy or a dollar figure that would have brought the same attention to this university."

Pointed some things a few will consider negative like we did have "modest" facilities and have not had a coach hired away since Hayden. (He forgot Jerry Moore but face it, a lot of people forget about him.) Also points out the facilities are improving and we're breaking ground on the IPF. 

He points out we actually are becoming relevant nationally. 

Tidbit I personally didn't know - Litrell does the USA Today crossword every day to help clear his mind. 

It's a very positive article!

• Upvote 1

My goodness this is a great article. Peter Pan deal, like our our AD Mr. Baker said is buying UNT more positive press than I've ever seen in my life. I was really too young to know about mean Joe being at UNT. Since I was only about 8 to 10 years old. I certainly knew who he was when he was with the Steelers. I couldn't believe all the national programs that the fake Peter Pan punt return for 6, was showing on. From a marketing standpoint this is worth millions. Priceless!!!

Truly great things happening at UNT. The sleeping giant is waking up. Just imagine where will be when SL gets the giant fully awake, and Performing to its true potential.

• Upvote 2
  • Lovely Take 1

41 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

I seem to remember getting more attention than this when we had 2 National Rushing Champions returning on the same team.

But yeah, this is great.

I think there's more publicity this time. I don't remember nearly the national coverage then. Plus two returning stars Is a "potential" article and this time we've actually done something. Everyone writes we humbled an SEC team and that warrants notice. 

12 minutes ago, VideoEagle said:

I think there's more publicity this time. I don't remember nearly the national coverage then. Plus two returning stars Is a "potential" article and this time we've actually done something. Everyone writes we humbled an SEC team and that warrants notice. 

The return is really what got us National coverage.  Beating Arkansas was great because they include that in the story/highlight --- but if no "Peter Pan" we don't get one tenth of this press.  It would have been like us beating Texas Tech back in the day.  Fun memories for us, but a blip on the radar for most everyone else.

It's so great the return happened in a game we won versus a school most people associate with success.

Edited by CMJ
  • Upvote 3
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, VideoEagle said:

I suppose looking forward in any aspect is a "potential" article, including a "waking", not "awoken", "Sleeping Giant".
The back-to-back national rushing titles were accomplishments worth covering.  I remember Pat & Jamario standing back-to-back on the cover of USAToday (back when it was much more relevant... media has changed quite a bit over the past 2 decades).

• Upvote 1

40 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

I suppose looking forward in any aspect is a "potential" article, including a "waking", not "awoken", "Sleeping Giant".
The back-to-back national rushing titles were accomplishments worth covering.  I remember Pat & Jamario standing back-to-back on the cover of USAToday (back when it was much more relevant... media has changed quite a bit over the past 2 decades).

The whole media approach seems different and better now. I don't think we're putting the anus on the USA Todays of the world to pick up the phone and call us anymore, which is nice. Players available for next day interviews about events...a coordinated strategy...saturation in almost every outlet possible... this is just one more thing that is very new and highly enjoyable. 

• Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 2
  • Haha 2
  • Downvote 1

3 minutes ago, Quoner said:

The whole media approach seems different and better now. I don't think we're putting the anus on the USA Todays of the world to pick up the phone and call us anymore, which is nice. Players available for next day interviews about events...a coordinated strategy...saturation in almost every outlet possible... this is just one more thing that is very new and highly enjoyable. 

Yes.  The internal changes have helped as well.
An AD who's been on staff at P5 programs, and knows how the game works, getting the coverage he wants is, indeed, highly enjoyable.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Quoner said:

Hee hee 

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 2

If this season becomes really special, 12-0 and we win the conference championship, get into the top 25 (if we win this week and next we're there for sure) watch out! Dream season would be to play USC in the Cotton bowl!!! Belly up and donate money to the mean green scholarship foundation, any amount can help to sustain this success. BTW, I gave an extra $15,000. on Monday, do your part now!

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, UNT78 said:

If this season becomes really special, 12-0 and we win the conference championship, get into the top 25 (if we win this week and next we're there for sure) watch out! Dream season would be to play USC in the Cotton bowl!!! Belly up and donate money to the mean green scholarship foundation, any amount can help to sustain this success. BTW, I gave an extra $15,000. on Monday, do your part now!

Not going to the cotton bowl this year (that is a Playoff Semifinal Game), which means if we make a NY6 bowl you are talking a 25% chance at the Rose, Sugar, Orange, or Fiesta (most likely)

9 hours ago, oldguystudent said:

Paywall article.  Go to private browsing to read it. 

How do you go to Private browsing to read it? Tried add block because DMN won't let me read without subscription. However when I hit Add Block for the pop up window requesting payment, the screen is now blank.

Someone just posted stat of the week. Which is incredible. So, of the above teams that we have to beat. I'm worried about FAU only because they trounced us twice last year. Many of our players looked like small high school players compared to their team. Which looked like big beefy SEC guys. We just whipped an an SEC team that didn't look small at all. Now Arkansas may not be Alabama, but Arkansas is still in the SEC.

So I'm seriously supposed to be worried about LA Tech. With our offense and defense? I would be much more confident than I am now if we had a better running game. 12-0 or 13 -O is very possible.

Gomeangreen.

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, Danish43 said:

How do you go to Private browsing to read it? Tried add block because DMN won't let me read without subscription. However when I hit Add Block for the pop up window requesting payment, the screen is now blank.

On Chrome, it's ctrl-shift-N. Then copy and paste the title of the article into the search bar and click on the result. 

I have a harder time getting into these things on mobile even though phones have private browsing too.  Mobile just doesn't seem to work as well. 

• Thanks 1