An intriguing thought – Mason Fine as a Heisman Trophy finalist

Coach Andy Mac

College football needs compelling storylines. Here’s an intriguing possibility, and it’s not ridiculous: As a Heisman Trophy finalist, North Texas junior quarterback Mason Fine travels to New York in December.

“That would be the most surreal moment,” Fine said during a Tuesday telephone connection. “I’ve never really even thought about that.”

In 1987, Holy Cross’ Gordie Lockbaum was a halfback, a defensive back and kickoff returner. He finished third in the Heisman Trophy voting.

A former Locust Grove superstar and the most prolific passer in the history of Oklahoma high school football, Fine could be a Lockbaum or Doug Flutie type of figure in this year’s Heisman process.

read more: https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.tulsaworld.com/sportsextra/bill-haisten-an-intriguing-thought-mason-fine-as-a-heisman/article_b68aa2fc-6ca2-5e4b-b2a6-580ca01de5fd.amp.html

• Thanks 3

Without going into melodramatic overdrive, Mason is quite the American story some of us thought he’d be if we only signed him.  Too short to play & now showing all how tall he actually plays. (We less than 6 foot tall guys are especially pulling for him).😌

Also, the fact that he’s just a darn good kid really stands tall to so many of us.  I’ve been following the Mason/Jason story since they were at Locust Grove as I’m sure some of you have. 

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 5

Something I think all these reporters have left out that is very important is that Mason had yet to play more than 3 quarters in a game this season and is still putting up these huge numbers. Not because he was injured, etc but because we have thoroughly crushed our opponents. Imagine his numbers of these were closer games and he had that extra quarter to pad his stats.

• Lovely Take 1

9 hours ago, Censored by Laurie said:

If his arc continues on this trajectory, there are already plans in place to LT2000 him all over town next season

I mean that's nice and all, but couldn't they at least get a nice convertible to take him around town in? 

vkXcolO.jpg

ETA: Does this mean Frenchy is sponsoring at a higher level now?

Edited by Cerebus

6 minutes ago, Cerebus said:

I mean that's nice and all, but couldn't they at least get a nice convertible to take him around town in? 

ETA: Does this mean Frenchy is sponsoring at a higher level now?

I fully expect to see a handful of Frenchys trucks driving around Denton with #Fine4Heisman messages for the remainder of the season.

1 hour ago, Matt from A700 said:

The Arkansas win got us a lot of attention, which helps a lot. If the Green keep trending upwards, I wouldn't be surprised to hear about a nomination by his senior year?

I agree.  If he's able to garner any attention for this award, it'll be a 2 year long campaign.  He'll have to keep these numbers up for this year and next.

• Upvote 1

56 minutes ago, Got5onIt said:

Ask Chad Morris who he would want  to play QB for him:

6’7” Cole Kelly 

or 

5’10” Mason Fine

Every FBS Coach will have the same exact answer. 

Maybe a serious Heisman campaign for his Senior year?

Unfortunately for the Masons of the world, it won't mean they will change their approach to recruiting.

Clearly the talk of Heisman while fun is a bit premature, and even if the hype grows, I don't see how anyone will be mentioned more than the Bama QB. The media has pretty much already claimed he is the best college QB of all time. 

I will say though, this ride so far has been Glorious!!!!

Edited by stUNTman_2four
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, stUNTman_2four said:

Looks like McKenzie Milton finished 8th last year in the Heisman vote on a 13-0 UCF team.  He garnered a total of 54 votes w/ 4 of those being 1st place votes.

2017 Stats:

Passing

265/395 for 4037yds and 37TD 9Int

Rushing

106 Attempts for 613yds and 8TD

So, even on a great team, in a halfway respected conference, the best the QB could get was 8th. Mason could maybe get higher than that considering he may put up a billion yards this year, but we'll have to wait and see how everything plays out.

• Lovely Take 1