UNT is all the rage of college football right now. But how did the Mean Green get here?

TheColonyEagle

http://amp.star-telegram.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/mac-engel/article218537150.html?__twitter_impression=true

All of these great moments currently being collected at North Texas exist because the school narrowly did not choose a coach who would be pushed out at TCU and is now at Kansas.

In the fall of 2015, the North Texas coaching position was vacant, again, and the preference of the athletic director to fill the job was then-TCU co-offensive coordinator Doug Meacham. The UNT President wanted Seth Littrell of North Carolina.

Edited by TheColonyEagle
  • Upvote 2
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Thanks 4

14 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

The old argument that RV wanted Mecham & Smatresk wanted Littrell, with Smatresk trumping RV, is hearsay and not true.

Uhhh, from the article. Both RV and Smatresk thought both candidates were good, but looks like RV's boss made the final decision.

“I’m not going to throw (former UNT athletic director Rick Villarreal) under the bus on this because he wasn’t opposed to it,” UNT President Neil Smatresk said in a phone interview. “TCU was on fire then, and still is. I don’t think that would have been a bad decision, but I do think this was a better decision. This was a decision that arose after a conversation and a consensus pick. Did I push it? Yes. I did.”

• Upvote 5

All of these great moments currently being collected at North Texas exist because the school narrowly did not choose a coach who would be pushed out at TCU and is now at Kansas.

In the fall of 2015, the North Texas coaching position was vacant, again, and the preference of the athletic director to fill the job was then-TCU co-offensive coordinator Doug Meacham. The UNT President wanted Seth Littrell of North Carolina.

“I’m not going to throw (former UNT athletic director Rick Villarreal) under the bus on this because he wasn’t opposed to it,” UNT President Neil Smatresk said in a phone interview. “TCU was on fire then, and still is. I don’t think that would have been a bad decision, but I do think this was a better decision. This was a decision that arose after a conversation and a consensus pick. Did I push it? Yes. I did.”

We are in mid September 2018, and college football’s It Boy is UNT’s Seth Littrell. We are in mid September and the only undefeated major college football team in Texas is not Texas but North Texas.

We all saw this coming.

read more:  https://www.star-telegram.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/mac-engel/article218537150.html

.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/mac-engel/article218537150.html#storylink=cpy

9 minutes ago, GRN-WHT said:

Did you read the article??

Of course.
History always written by the victors I suppose.  (although there does appear to be some verbal tap-dancing done by Smatresk in that article to make it sound one way).
I know that claim has been made countless times on here, and I know many here loathe RV, so the story sounds good.  It's just not true.

• Downvote 1

1 minute ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Of course.
History always written by the victors I suppose.  (although there does appear to be some verbal tap-dancing done by Smatresk in that article to make it sound one way).
I know that claim has been made countless times on here, and I know many here loathe RV, so the story sounds good.  It's just not true.

Fact of the matter is if it was solely RV’s decision I 100% believe Meacham would have been the guy.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Unless someone comes up with audiotapes I'm not sure it's ever going to be settled.  I've had a talk with what I would consider super plugged in mega donors who swear it is true, and also with ones who swear it is not.  

Just now, Cerebus said:

Unless someone comes up with audiotapes I'm not sure it's ever going to be settled.  I've had a talk with what I would consider super plugged in mega donors who swear it is true, and also with ones who swear it is not.  

Correct.   I've had those same conversations I suppose.

If anything, from what I've heard, it took more "convincing" (by both Smatresk & RV) to get certain donors on board with Littrell over not just Meachem, but others as well.

4 minutes ago, Cerebus said:

If this was a court case, what in RV’s history makes any of us believe he’s capable of making the right hire in that situation? It was probably already known he was on his way out, so his input was likely greatly diminished. 

• Upvote 4
  • Lovely Take 1

5 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Correct.   I've had those same conversations I suppose.

If anything, from what I've heard, it took more "convincing" (by both Smatresk & RV) to get certain donors on board with Littrell over not just Meachem, but others as well.

Even if this is true, you don’t think that was after Smatty convinced RV that SL was the guy? 

27 minutes ago, golfingomez said:

Well... I heard that originally, Smatresk wanted to bring back Dickey, and RV though Dodge should come back on a 1 year contract, renewable pending a winning season, throughout all this, some MAJOR donors thought that we should consider bringing Shane Falco, who once led the Washington Sentinels through an incredible four game stretch to make the playoffs, onboard.

From what I've gathered, in a heated debate before they made their decision, Seth Littrell (sporting a full beard and no shirt) kicked down the door with a solid front kick. He then took a knife and ran across his chest, where he LITERALLY produced green blood (a la Billy, in Predator). There was silence in the room for a solid 45 seconds before he spoke...

"If ANY of you b****** think that any of these other dopes you are considering can fix a program as well as I can, then you haven't seen me bring STD to a college campus yet."

He then proceeded to walk around the room, push everyone against the wall and look them directly in the eye until they cried from existential moment they had just experienced looking into Littrell's eyes.

At this moment, Littrell walked back to the center of the room and said "Men, the decision is yours. I want this job." Before anyone could speak, he was gone, and no one was sure if he had ever been in the room at all.

A short 5 minutes later, Smatresk and RV were hugging and crying, the decision had been made, Seth Littrell was the new head coach at the University of North Texas

You must have different sources than me.   

But with the extreme detail in which you described these events, I feel certain mine are wrong, and you are correct.

Long live Seth Littrell & his tenure as Mean Green Football Coach!