DRC: Report -- NCAA could move to change fair catch rule in wake of UNT return

Brett Vito

This would be the most one-sided, NCAA is a shit organization, can't help but appease stupid fans rules that they've ever put in the books. If this happened in, say, and LSU-Auburn game, it'd get the same amount of attention, but there's no way the NCAA would take a second look at this. This is why the NCAA is a crack-pot organization that does nothing but extend it's bias towards "established" schools. For the love of everything holy, why not just kick the G5 to a completely separate division level, and never let anyone improve their team?

People don't watch sports to keep track of rules violations, and a rule like this would only perpetuate this problem. I want to watch a damn good football team dominate another team "that they shouldn't." That's what makes college sports great. You've got kids playing their hearts out and now the NCAA wants to kowtow to schools with a larger fanbase whose feelings got hurt. Give me a %*#)(@# break!!!

• Upvote 2

56 minutes ago, Jason Howeth said:

If this happened in, say, and LSU-Auburn game, it'd get the same amount of attention, but there's no way the NCAA would take a second look at this. This is why the NCAA is a crack-pot organization that does nothing but extend it's bias towards "established" schools.

Exactly this. They can't have uppity G5 teams showing up the almighty masters of college football. Bad for the brand. I'd bet my car that if Arkansas pulled this same play against us, you wouldn't hear a peep from the NCAA. 

58 minutes ago, Jason Howeth said:

For the love of everything holy, why not just kick the G5 to a completely separate division level, and never let anyone improve their team?

Give it a couple of years, its coming.

15 hours ago, UNTexas said:

I was on UNT's punt team for 4 years and knowing punt coverage pretty well I'd say he should have been annihilated. He never got close to a fair catch signal. Not even close. They don't need a rule change, Arkansas needs a better Special Teams Coach. It must have been pretty obvious on film that they were lazy in their coverage or our coaches wouldn't have made such a risky decision. It took nerves of steel to sell it, but 11 players on that field didn't do their jobs and they were massively embarrassed for it. I'd hate to be a player in their meeting room this week. 

A 6th grader knows the play is not over until the whistle blows  Arkansas stopped playing and walked off the field with the ball still in play.  That is indicative of poor coaching and lack of discipline. These are SEC football players not Godebow Middle school.

Norm Hitzges said on the ticket this morning that Ryan Switzer tried this twice when he was at UNC. I don't remember any furor overer his attempts.

It was a C-USA referee crew... you can bet your ass they are catching hell for allowing it.  They gave the okay to do it in their pre-game coaches meeting. That is why UNC Switzer got the Inadvertent Whistle. The refs didn't know about it and to be on the look out for it. 

Refs will tell coaches when approached with such schemes that it has to be perfect, black and white and no kinda- sorta or they will nail them.  

9 minutes ago, Cerebus said:

What... I had just finally made up my mind and was gonna call it the UNT-Arkansas rule! I feel cheated! The NCAA is just failing to run away with this rule change, after throwing up their hand and saying they wanted their ball at the 25.

So disappointed I tells ya.

Edited by outoftown

1 hour ago, madmaxx7 said:

A 6th grader knows the play is not over until the whistle blows  Arkansas stopped playing and walked off the field with the ball still in play.  That is indicative of poor coaching and lack of discipline. These are SEC football players not Godebow Middle school.

Norm Hitzges said on the ticket this morning that Ryan Switzer tried this twice when he was at UNC. I don't remember any furor overer his attempts.

No one got mad because they failed, ours was a massive success that embarrassed a member of ESPN's Marquee Conference. Had Arkansas done it to us, they'd be praised for their great coaching and superior athleticism of their players versus a CUSA team.