DRC: Report -- NCAA could move to change fair catch rule in wake of UNT return

Brett Vito

1 hour ago, meangreenlax said:

So much of the argument against this play is focused on player safety. Well, if you tackle like you're supposed to, there will be no targeting, no head to head contact. If the coverage team had pulled its head out of its ass and wrapped him up, this would be a non story. Or, don't assume shit and stand in front of the returner until the play is for sure dead if you want to be a pansy about it. So dumb.

Yeah, a lot of this comes from letting the little things go by w/o anything being done.  There is a CLEAR signal that is to be performed if a fair catch is to be done, but players have been allowed to slowly get away with half-a## signals for a long time (much worse in NFL) and often waiting until the last second to do it.  The new rule simply needs to be "we're going to stress that players actively signal for a fair catch."

• Upvote 1

If the roles were reversed and Arkansas had ran the punt return trickery play, I would never think of complaining about their use of that play.   

Those Arkansas complaining fans are just displaying their dismay of getting totally dominated by what they consider an inferior opponent.   It gives them something to concentrate on other then getting beat in all three phases of a football game.   It's more fun to talk about than 6 interceptions by a dominating defense or why they could not stop a NT offense.    

• Upvote 6

Well, whatever! :(.......but if so we still got our 1 million dollars worth of publicity out of it.

I was at my Hudson Oaks Walmart today wearing my Mean Green shirt so the pharmacist looks at me & asks:  "Did you see your school run "THAT" punt return play?"  Of course I said yes & happened to have my IPhone with me so I pull up the video and put it against the pharmacy window & the one who asked me said...'Yall come over here you have to see this!"  About 2 guys & 3 women in the pharmacy run up to the window & watched it from  my IPhone.  They were all laughing once they saw what had happened.

Never would we have believed the gold North Texas would strike in the Ozarks with that play which immediately went viral on the internet.  Amazing!

GMG!

Beat Liberty!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 3

Funny, I don't recall the NCAA looking into a rule change when UNC tried it TWICE in the past 3 years. Granted neither were successful, getting tackled after taking off on one and the refs called back the other even though there was no signal. Only now that a G5 embarrassed a P5 do they look into it.

Edited by RBTX
  • Upvote 4
  • Thanks 1

The "player safety" concerns are really going over board these days.  If the punt team just plays by the rules there's no issue.  It's that simple.   If Brewer had been tackled it wouldn't be any different than if everyone knew he didn't call a fair catch.  

Edited by NorthTexan95

I agree with everyone on this board. They are only looking into changing the rules because North Texas dominated Arkansas (of the big, bad SEC). If Arkansas would have done that to us, no one would be wanting to change the rules. They would have just talked about how we got tricked. The fact is we dominated their A$$ in all three phases of the game and like UNT alumni  Stone Cold Steve Austin says "And that's the bottom line, cause Stone Cold said so."

I read their message board. I read reactions from unsportsmanlike, unsafe, unethical, and better be illegal soon. The most intelligent response was if they did it to Auburn this week then their coach is a brilliant hero.  

UNT has been on the other end of well publicized embarrassing plays or even worse, towel capers. All you can do is grin and bear it. The players will learn and move on. It happened. They'll laugh about it later after the pain subsides. 

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, RBTX said:

Funny, I don't recall the NCAA looking into a rule change when UNC tried it TWICE in the past 3 years. Granted neither were successful, getting tackled after taking off on one and the refs called back the other even though there was no signal. Only now that a G5 embarrassed a P5 do they look into it.

Wow....a P5 did it up big in two games....one blowing out an FCS team. Both at home. 

No consideration for changing the rule

What a freaking joke

• Ray 1

10 hours ago, UNTexas said:

I was on UNT's punt team for 4 years and knowing punt coverage pretty well I'd say he should have been annihilated. He never got close to a fair catch signal. Not even close. They don't need a rule change, Arkansas needs a better Special Teams Coach. It must have been pretty obvious on film that they were lazy in their coverage or our coaches wouldn't have made such a risky decision. It took nerves of steel to sell it, but 11 players on that field didn't do their jobs and they were massively embarrassed for it. I'd hate to be a player in their meeting room this week. 

they don't have a dedicated special teams coach

28 minutes ago, TheColonyEagle said:

Wow....a P5 did it up big in two games....one blowing out an FCS team. Both at home. 

No consideration for changing the rule

What a freaking joke

I think there is a major difference with what UNC (Switzer) did and UNT.

1) (UNT’s) worked, this making major news outlets across the country, putting more of a spotlight on it.

2) it doesn’t appear that UNC’s was a coordinated team effort. More just Switzer acting on his own

3) times are changing on safety, many things overlooked even 3-4 years ago are now illegal or frowned apon  

lets not turn this into a NCAA knocking down UNT thing, he’ll it should be a badge of honor that we so far outthought everyone that they have to close the loophole so it can’t be done again, plus Let’s be honest, there is no way we would be able to get away with it again so who cares if they close it.   

Yeah... Totally fine with this. This rule would affect every fbs team except us, because UNT wouldn't be able to run this for the next five years anyways...

This would be like if someone had instituted a rule saying the statue of liberty play was illegal after Boise St beat Oklahoma

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, meangreenlax said:

So much of the argument against this play is focused on player safety. Well, if you tackle like you're supposed to, there will be no targeting, no head to head contact. If the coverage team had pulled its head out of its ass and wrapped him up, this would be a non story. Or, don't assume shit and stand in front of the returner until the play is for sure dead if you want to be a pansy about it. So dumb.

And, if  you are taught to play to the whistle this would not happen.  This play sits squarely in the lap of the Arkansas coaches because Biagi noticed they didn't play to the whistle on punt coverage.  If they covered kicks properly, we would have never run that play.  Reinstitute the halo rule, as someone mentioned earlier, and that will cure players getting killed.  Well, at least when  you aren't playing the MUTS.

Edited by UNTLifer