Final Thoughts on UA Game from PokeyPig

PokeyPig

22 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

SMU did that twice & Incarnate Word did it too.  Be ready for it to happen some more this weekend as well.

Our 3rd stringers apparently cannot play with other teams' starters.  Shocking!   
But these provide experiences for them to learn to trust the scheme and not try to come up and make a play when it's not there.

Yes, it's happened all 3 games. Not saying they shouldn't be playing because they should be. 46-0 and 44-10 just sounds better on paper. Because those are the reality for people paying attention. 

Like you Pokey.  I can really sympathize with U of A, as we have gone through about 30 years of athletic department/administration incompetence that has resulted in our having to literally crawl back to some respectability.  Good luck the rest of the year.

• Thanks 4

Just now, NorthTexasWeLove said:

It's your tongue in cheek approach. "Yeah, you guys are good. But we are worse than your good and that's what really unfolded Saturday." 

It's like ending a relationship with the old cliche of, 'It's not you, it's me.' 

Well I'm truly sorry if that's how it's being taken, that's not what I mean.  I said in my very first post on here how impressed i've was with your team.  You guys look great, I'd say I'd rank ya'll around 15 - 20 nationally, my big concern would be your depth.  

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, PokeyPig said:

Well I'm truly sorry if that's how it's being taken, that's not what I mean.  I said in my very first post on here how impressed i've was with your team.  You guys look great, I'd say I'd rank ya'll around 15 - 20 nationally, my big concern would be your depth.  

I'm assuming you're talking about trenches depth and if so, we have it. Your starting RB went 9 car for 12 yds for a long of 7. So he went 8 car for 5 yds. Total run game went 32 for 126. Popped a 68 yarder on our 3's with less than a minute to go. Take that garbage run away, the run game went 31 car for 58 yds at 1.8 yds per. Chad Morris even stated in his post game presser that they wanted to come out in 12 personnel and push us around but they couldn't get snything going. It takes DL depth to put up these kind of defensive statistics. It doesn't nust happen because of 1 or 2 'studs'. 

My concern is still the D and what they can do vs a balanced well executed offense. 

And we are not top 15-20. Not in my opinion. We are right where we need to be, just on the outside looking in. We need to keep proving we can put people away and leave no doubt. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

2 minutes ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

I'm assuming you're talking about trenches depth and if so, we have it. Your starting RB went 9 car for 12 yds for a long of 7. So he went 8 car for 5 yds. Total run game went 32 for 126. Popped a 68 yarder on our 3's with less than a minute to go. Take that garbage run away, the run game went 31 car for 58 yds at 1.8 yds per. Chad Morris even stated in his post game presser that they wanted to come out in 12 personnel and push us around but they couldn't get snything going. It takes DL depth to put up these kind of defensive statistics. It doesn't nust happen because of 1 or 2 'studs'. 

My concern is still the D and what they can do vs a balanced well executed offense. 

And we are not top 15-20. Not in my opinion. We are right where we need to be, just on the outside looking in. We need to keep proving we can put people away and leave no doubt. 

That's good to hear about the depth in the trenches.  As far as beating teams ranked 15-25, I think ya'll could take UCF, Oregon, Boston College, Mich State and BYU... TCU would be a toss up IMO.

• Thanks 1
  • Downvote 1

52 minutes ago, PokeyPig said:

Not exactly sure where I was making excuses, I've been blatant for two weeks now how ya'll are better than us.  No excuses have been given for that.  Not sure how else I can put it.  My only point was we're not a good team right now.

Excuses for losing usually involve complaints about officiating, or saying we weren't focused and looking past you, or even we just messed up and dropped the ball too much, etc. etc.  I've shouted from the hilltops how you're better than us  - since when is saying you're better than us making an excuse for a loss??

As has been mentioned already your first post is dripping with excuses and pandering for sympathy.  You won’t get any from me.

But before I suggest you take it elsewhere let me say...  

You know what North Texas did the last time we witnessed our most embarrassing loss at home...WE FIRED OUR COACH THAT NIGHT and found a better one.

Want to cry about this loss to someone go cry to your leadership who hired Morris,.......who did nothing at SMU to warrant a head coaching job in the SEC. You had to hire someone from a school that’s had 5 cents worth  of name recognition the past 30 years and nothing else.  

Instead....you should have hired a Neal Brown from Troy.  But that would have meant Arkansas and it’s snooty Jones family stooping down to Arkansas State’s level in the Sun Belt to get the best available,....and you can’t have that, right?????

Sadly, your post of tears is watering down all the great comments we received as we left Fayettville from real Arkansas fans who were actually there in person on Saturday,...who basically said....”Congrats,...y’all kicked our asses.  Good luck the rest of the way.  See you next time”.  That’s all that needs to be said, period!

Oh....and thanks for the $2 Million.

$1 Million for the game.

$1 Million for the advertising and recognition we’ve received ever since.

Now take it somewhere else.

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick
  • Upvote 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2
  • Downvote 14

---I was surprised that UA scored that last TD .... We were in easy field field goal range at the end and just took as knee instead of running a play or kicking the FG. .... and the game was hopeless at that point.....  Since it was hopeless and basically over, I expected them to  do near nothing and run the clock out ... .. They didn't and scored against a group that had not expected a big effort. --- I guess we should have kicked the FG or tried to score and run  the score up. --- Maybe should remember that if we play them ( or that SMU ex-coach)  again... 

Edited by SCREAMING EAGLE-66
  • Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Cerebus said:

Folks, no reason to take shots at Pokey.  He hasn't been a jerk to us.   Yeah, it's kinda hard to here a fan from an SEC school talk about having it tough, but he's been complimentary to us.  

Not taking shots...just not giving in  to sympathy and pandering from a fan of a school that wants for NOTHING!!!!

Rick

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 6

5 minutes ago, Cerebus said:

Folks, no reason to take shots at Pokey.  He hasn't been a jerk to us.   Yeah, it's kinda hard to here a fan from an SEC school talk about having it tough, but he's been complimentary to us.  

This, think about those trolling people like CougarQueen and those KFC fans than come on here to put us down. @PokeyPig has been a stand up guy and has been a good sport about the loss. 

Pokey, just want to say that I appreciate you coming to our games this year. Buy yourself a UNT shirt, we want to color the stands Kelly Green sir!

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 2

---- I really am glad that trick play was done against Arkansas and that is not being personal to them.  I saw it on the Sunday Night NFL game  (halftime) and also CBS this morning...and  on ESPN yesterday and local TV and somewhere else..... It was done and worked against a name team and got us a lot of a good attention and free publicity... 

--- I make will an exception for insulting SMU... We have put up with them for years [ 52 years since my graduation ] and they largely were responsible for us not getting into the SWC years ago...  They still refer to us as a community college or worse... they have earned it . Also glad it was an ex-SMU coach that we defeated. They have no respect for us and deserve none from us. 

Good luck Hogs. .... I remember them playing us in the 60's (we had Joe Green et. al) when seemly no other SWC team would. (we were integrated,   supposedly that was the reason, they were not). --Correction- Baylor played us one game in basketball. 

Edited by SCREAMING EAGLE-66
  • Thanks 1

Poor, poor SEC fans. "Worst team I've ever seen."

I finally saw my first in-person UNT win in my FOURTH season of watching games. 

I weep for the tragic situation of any SEC team that doesn't go 15-0 every year as they have been so anointed by the football gods of ESPN. 

I am one who took a poorly thought out, bourbon influenced shot at some random interweb dude on the Arkansas message board and was soundly put in my place by UNT fans who made the trip to Arkansas and overwhelmingly said how well they were treated up there. 

That punt return brought attention to this game.  This is the first time in my life that I've gone to work on Monday and had all the P5 fans in the office come up and tell me how great that game was and they wanted to know who our quarterback was, and the Tech guy said that Littrell is absolutely #1 on their coaching wish list. I've never experienced anything like that, and I gotta admit -- it felt damn good. 

• Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 2
  • Thanks 2

@PokeyPig  thanks for taking the time to speak your peace. Being North Texas fans has been more than difficult over the past, well... forever. Shit-tier coaching, used car salesmen ADs, dropping down to D1-AA, getting shafted by schools in the area, you name it, we've gone through it. So I, and many others, can certainly sympathize with what you're going through. But, you'll be hard pressed to find anyone across the G5 that will really feel too bad for even the worst SEC team. This is just a byproduct of the modern political economy of FBS football. The Have Nots rarely pity the Haves when they're down. With that said, don't let some of the negative responses sour you on coming out to Apogee for a game or two this year. 

I do, however, have a little issue with your characterization of the now infamous punt return. If you watch enough football you will see returners field and advance punts with similar amounts of time/space. It happens all the time. There was no half-arm wave or fake signaling so I fail to see how NT was using safety rules as a cover. If the coverage team had its head up and was playing correctly it would be a non issue and it would have been a big hit. There is a difference between a big hit, and an illegal hit.

Edited by meangreenlax
Words
  • Ray 1