#NewDenton

emmitt01

i think the long time MG fans were conditioned to always feel beaten down.   Didnt help when we had a past coach said we are going to get beat but we are just playing for the money or getting crushed by PS at home.  It is a great time to be a MG fan and yes we should enjoy the moment and worry about next year when this season is over.

• Upvote 2
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Thanks 1

This hits a point I saw from others yesterday... the ‘tap the brakes’ comments.  We are fans, we can and should get excited about possible undefeated seasons. We should relish and enjoy the team we identify with and our school.  We are fans, not the players. Who cares if we overlook teams or already chalk it up as a victory... 

i will let the coaches keep the players in check, have them deal with good prep work, and maintain the proper attitudes and approach necessary to play the next game.  But for us fans... that is a whole different story. No brake tapping from me!

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, emmitt01 said:

Do yourself a favor and enjoy every moment of this season folks.  If you can make it to a game, make it.  If you can listen to a podcast, interview or press conference, listen.  Live in the moment because it is sweet.  

If I had told you on the day after national signing day last season that we would get a commit from a 3* kid that had offers from 10 other FBS schools you might have said “jewel of the class.”  Well, that kid committed last night: https://247sports.com/Recruitment/DeShawn-Gaddie-110932/RecruitInterests/

Now if I told you he would be among 20 3* recruits, and that our class was ranked #1 in CUSA you might have asked me “how many ranking services did you have to check to cobble together those star ratings?”  But it’s true, and the class might actually have looked even better had so many spots not been taken BEFORE we showed how great we can be.  

If I told you on the day Mason Fine was recruited, “that 5’11 kid is about to own every passing record and will throw deep balls to a LOADED receiving corps” you would have laughed and said I was talking him up based on my green tinted glasses.  The best to sling it in our school’s history might just be that 5’11 kid.  (Oh, and he and his entire receiving corps have a season to play after this one)

If I told you after last season “don’t worry, we’re gonna curb stomp SMU and embarrass Arkansas so bad that 90% of their fans won’t be around for the final whistle” you would ask me to check into drug rehab.  But it’s true.  

If I told you three years ago that we would be breaking  ground on an indoor practice facility (and unveiling an Mean Joe Greene statue) right before the 3rd home game of the season you would have peed yourself because of the potential to take off as a program.  That we are doing these things DURING a season where we are starting to take off is unreal.  

These are uncharted waters for this program.  When all three of my kids attend North Texas (and they WILL) I will likely tell them one of two stories.  Either, 2018 was the season the “sleeping giant” finally woke up, or 2018 was the most magical ride of my Mean Green life.  Either way, I will soak this season in.  

It truly is great to be alive in this moment.  

tenor (1).gif

Edited by Rudy
  • Haha 2

11 hours ago, emmitt01 said:

These are uncharted waters for this program.  When all three of my kids attend North Texas (and they WILL) I will likely tell them one of two stories.  Either, 2018 was the season the “sleeping giant” finally woke up, or 2018 was the most magical ride of my Mean Green life.  Either way, I will soak this season in.  

These ARE "the good old days".

• Upvote 2

14 hours ago, emmitt01 said:

Do yourself a favor and enjoy every moment of this season folks.  If you can make it to a game, make it.  If you can listen to a podcast, interview or press conference, listen.  Live in the moment because it is sweet.  

If I had told you on the day after national signing day last season that we would get a commit from a 3* kid that had offers from 10 other FBS schools you might have said “jewel of the class.”  Well, that kid committed last night: https://247sports.com/Recruitment/DeShawn-Gaddie-110932/RecruitInterests/

Now if I told you he would be among 20 3* recruits, and that our class was ranked #1 in CUSA you might have asked me “how many ranking services did you have to check to cobble together those star ratings?”  But it’s true, and the class might actually have looked even better had so many spots not been taken BEFORE we showed how great we can be.  

If I told you on the day Mason Fine was recruited, “that 5’11 kid is about to own every passing record and will throw deep balls to a LOADED receiving corps” you would have laughed and said I was talking him up based on my green tinted glasses.  The best to sling it in our school’s history might just be that 5’11 kid.  (Oh, and he and his entire receiving corps have a season to play after this one)

If I told you after last season “don’t worry, we’re gonna curb stomp SMU and embarrass Arkansas so bad that 90% of their fans won’t be around for the final whistle” you would ask me to check into drug rehab.  But it’s true.  

If I told you three years ago that we would be breaking  ground on an indoor practice facility (and unveiling an Mean Joe Greene statue) right before the 3rd home game of the season you would have peed yourself because of the potential to take off as a program.  That we are doing these things DURING a season where we are starting to take off is unreal.  

All this is happening because an old guy had moderate success at Iowa state and a big ass ring from Florida- making it easier to recruit right? Or was it the new slab of cement called a stadium? Impossible to recruit/win here, right? 

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

The night we beat Cincinnati in the NOB, I told my wife then, that we may never see a better football team at North Texas. Ever. However, I may just have to adjust my thinking on that. THIS may be the best football we've ever seen at North Texas and the season has just started. Good things are happening at the University of North Texas and not just athletics. Thank you President Smatresk, the BOR, Wren Baker and Seth Littrell. Let's hope new contracts are coming for all.

Buy season tickets.

Join the MGSF

GO MEAN GREEN!

• Upvote 3

It can be so much better.

Maximize your potential, right?   

I think we're just scratching the surface.   

Hayden Fry scratched the surface as well.  Once he left, it steadily got covered up for several years.  Then, NT Admin threw 10 tons of manure on top of it by bumping down to 1-AA.   RV & his leadership were able to start digging away with spoons, but with the hire of Littrell & the backing of his leadership (all the way up to the BOR), the excavator came out & we're getting back to what we CAN BE in a hurry.

• Thanks 2
  • Ray 1

23 hours ago, emmitt01 said:

i mean... this would have been true pretty much regardless if we won by 50 or lost by a field goal

• 2 months later...
On 9/16/2018 at 9:20 AM, emmitt01 said:

Still true.

• Upvote 1