North Texas Name Game

greenjoe

Some of you, like me, get frustrated when fans of other teams can't seem to get our name right.  However, when Southwest Texas State University changed their name to Texas State, no one seemed to make a name faux pau again.  Same thing when Memphis State dropped the "state", no problem.  With North Texas it's been more difficult. 

Now I can almost see that for older fans, like me, old habits die hard.  But how old is our name.  I did some quick looking and found that it may be time for people to say our name correctly.

Our name has been The University of North Texas for 30 years now.

Prior to that we were called North Texas State University for 27 years.

Before that we were North Texas  State College for 12 years.

North Texas Teacher's College for 26 years.

And finally North Texas Normal College for 22 years.

My point is many of the people that can't seem to get our name right have only known us to be UNT for their entire lifetime. 

I suppose it's because the college football fan tends to be more attuned to the game since the players change at least every 4 years.  Those that don't get it, just don't get it.

Beat Arkansas.  Our new rival.

GO MEAN GREEN

• Upvote 2

Its because our fans as a group are super sensitive and insecure about the name and now others know that and like to taunt us with it. Leaving those that have no animosity toward North Texas and not knowing better confused. 

I have always called us North Texas regardless of proper name. 

30 minutes ago, greenjoe said:

Some of you, like me, get frustrated when fans of other teams can't seem to get our name right.  However, when Southwest Texas State University changed their name to Texas State, no one seemed to make a name faux pau again.  Same thing when Memphis State dropped the "state", no problem.  With North Texas it's been more difficult. 

Now I can almost see that for older fans, like me, old habits die hard.  But how old is our name.  I did some quick looking and found that it may be time for people to say our name correctly.

Our name has been The University of North Texas for 30 years now.

Prior to that we were called North Texas State University for 27 years.

Before that we were North Texas  State College for 12 years.

North Texas Teacher's College for 26 years.

And finally North Texas Normal College for 22 years.

My point is many of the people that can't seem to get our name right have only known us to be UNT for their entire lifetime. 

I suppose it's because the college football fan tends to be more attuned to the game since the players change at least every 4 years.  Those that don't get it, just don't get it.

Beat Arkansas.  Our new rival.

GO MEAN GREEN

Gotta admit.  I still call Memphis “Memphis State” on occasion.   I have a relative that went there when it was Memphis State.  

When we did have some previous success it was under the NTSU moniker and a lot of the older media folks still (out of habit) call us by that name.  The NTSU mistakes are happening less often and will eventually die off.

This is why it was easy for SWT to change.  They had very little history. 

Regarding Memphis.  I guess I never really knew they changed their name and certainly have never given it any thought.  I just thought the missing "State" references were just a case of leaving it off when speaking.

Edited by meaniegreenie

1 hour ago, KingDL1 said:

Its because our fans as a group are super sensitive and insecure about the name and now others know that and like to taunt us with it. Leaving those that have no animosity toward North Texas and not knowing better confused. 

I have always called us North Texas regardless of proper name. 

Hey, one game in the first year Petrino was at the UA, we scored and (I kid you not) they put touchdown ARIZONA CARDINALS at the bottom of the screen.  Clearly digging at Petrino leaving there.  

Edited by PokeyPig
Spelling
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, PokeyPig said:

Hey, one game in the first year Petrino was at the UA, we scored and (I kid you not) they put touchdown ARIZONA CARDINALS at the bottom of the screen.  Clearly digging at Petrino leaving there.  

I thought Petrino coached the falcons...