Fun with P5 History

TheColonyEagle

To sort of put our history vs. P5s in perspective. Since 2001:

We’ve played 32 games vs P5 opponents

We’re 2-30

Avg score 41-13

We’ve Played Ark twice, Bama 3 times, Iowa twice, KState 4 times, LSU 3 times, OU 3 times, UT 4 times and TTech, Georgia, Tennessee, Florida and Clemson among others in that  time frame. I’ve seen in person us lose to OU, TTech, KState twice, and Arkansas. I saw us beat Baylor and Indiana.

Dickey was 1-13 avg score: 40-11

Dodge was 0-7 avg score: 49-15

McCarney 1-8 avg score: 40-14

Littrell 0-2  avg score: 32-7

Best game:  beat Baylor: 52-14

Worst game: Lost OU: 79-10! (that was Dodge’s first game and the OU coaching staff started chuckling in the post game press conference describing the defensive alignment they saw....our high school D coordinator.....maybe the most embarrassing thing I've ever seen following UNT football....what a sh*t show that was) 

I say all this to say I have pretty much been to or at least watched everyone of those ass beatings for 17 years. It's amazing how different this team and this opportunity is compared to recent history.

This Saturday is the best chance we’ve ever had to turn the tables.

Go Mean Green 

Edited by TheColonyEagle
  • Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 2

24 minutes ago, RiseUNT said:

Better watch out. Some people are getting tired of our wonderful past being talked about.

I was thinking along the lines of how far we've come...from the way Dickey used to view these games to now the way THIS team looks at it to all the ridiculousness in between.

We've knocked on the door a few times but couldn't finish the deal. (leading Georgia and Iowa in the 3rd quarter recently....)

2 hours ago, TheColonyEagle said:

To sort of put our history vs. P5s in perspective. Since 2001:

We’ve played 32 games vs P5 opponents

We’re 2-30

Avg score 41-13

We’ve Played Ark twice, Bama 3 times, Iowa twice, KState 4 times, LSU 3 times, OU 3 times, UT 4 times and TTech, Georgia, Tennessee, Florida and Clemson among others in that  time frame. I’ve seen in person us lose to OU, TTech, KState twice, and Arkansas. I saw us beat Baylor and Indiana.

Dickey was 1-13 avg score: 40-11

Dodge was 0-7 avg score: 49-15

McCarney 1-8 avg score: 40-14

Littrell 0-2  avg score: 32-7

Best game:  beat Baylor: 52-14

Worst game: Lost OU: 79-10! (that was Dodge’s first game and the OU coaching staff started chuckling in the post game press conference describing the defensive alignment they saw....our high school D coordinator.....maybe the most embarrassing thing I've ever seen following UNT football....what a sh*t show that was) 

I say all this to say I have pretty much been to or at least watched everyone of those ass beatings for 17 years. It's amazing how different this team and this opportunity is compared to recent history.

This Saturday is the best chance we’ve ever had to turn the tables.

Go Mean Green 

Well, you have to remember that for Craig Helwig and Rick Villareal, those games were huge successes--that is several millions of dollars that paid the bills around here for the last 25 years.

I'm still of the belief that this game with Arkansas is a setup for disappointment--upsets usually happen against these schools when they aren't expecting it. Here, that's all anyone is talking about. Morris knows what worked against us the last two years under SL. He will have a much more talented roster than he ever had at SMU and now he gets to motivate them after a loss at Colorado State and their entire team and fanbase hearing that we are going to come up there and beat them. I don't see how they won't be more motivated and prepared than they have on their first two games.

All that said, if we are to win this game, we have a great chance to do what he late, great Richard Durrett used to say--at UNT they are going to have to beat the P5 giant AND win their conference to get the traction they need to move upward in the eyes of the media and fanbase. A win in Fayetteville will do wonders for this with alumni, students, and other fans who don't care about the people we usually play outside of the few teams they have heard of and watched regularly on TV. And this games gives SL his chance to show everyone why he's one of the hottest names in the industry right now. The doors that will be open for him if we even just keep this close are almost limitless. He'll get attention from every AD that isn't happy at every single P5 program in America if this happens.

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1