Best Fan Base in College Football

3XL

12 hours ago, 3XL said:

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/best-worst-fanbases-college-football-161958438.html

…not sure how we beat Houston but go mean green!

#newdenton

caw-caw

I tend to agree about Houston but I was shocked how bad their turnout was for a home game against Arizona.  I will chalk it up to scheduling a mid-day game in 95 degree heat.  Still I wonder if not getting into the Big 12 has knocked the bloom off for many of their fans.  

How is Texas #1? I have been in and around the Austin area my entire life, and Longhorn fans are the biggest bunch of self entitled, whining, sniveling babies in the state. They think they should be national champs every year and anything else is unacceptable. This, in spite of the fact, that they have only one NC in the last 50 years.

• Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, GangGreen said:

How is Texas #1? I have been in and around the Austin area my entire life, and Longhorn fans are the biggest bunch of self entitled, whining, sniveling babies in the state. They think they should be national champs every year and anything else is unacceptable. This, in spite of the fact, that they have only one NC in the last 50 years.

Are you saying that 1-1 Texas is NOT back this year??? Surely you jest...

I imagine that the Texas vs USC game is going to end up disappointing both Texas and USC fan bases this weekend.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

I'm a nerd so I looked into the methodology (Methodology: College Football Brands and Fans – 2018 Edition). His approach is to treat CFB teams as a brand, and the model uses three factors:

1. Revenue Premium
    1. "calculated by comparing each school’s reported football revenues with the revenues predicted by a statistical model that includes factors such as stadium capacity, alumni base, won-loss record and other school level attributes"
  2. Return on Investment
  3. Relative Football Revenue
  • Upvote 1

I honestly think we need to dampen our expectations. The SEC will probably consider taking Texas over us, but we could restock the XII pretty well - Definitely bring in our sister Houston, and SMU - as long as they bring some wurst from Kuby's. I also think we could effectively replace Baylor with Abilene Christian. There'd be very little drop-off in competitiveness but a huge one in criminality. 

We need a travel partner for West Virginia, so maybe Marshall as well.

Jokes aside, the methodology left out something he discussed extensively, I presume accidentally. The amount of fan engagement relative to on-the-field success is an extremely interesting metric, and one I can see having great relevance to this.