DRC: Long journey paying off for UNT LB Jamie King

Brett Vito

We often talk about doing what TCU did - finding good athletes and putting them wherever they fit and can make an impact. Well, this seems to be one of those projects that paid off.  Hoping Tre Siggers at S (converted RB) and Chumley at TE (converted QB) pay off similarly.

• Upvote 3
  • Lovely Take 2

For those who wonder why we dislike Vito so much, this article is a great example.

First, he gets something factually wrong.  He says playing tight end didn't work out for King implying that he wasn't a good tight end.  However, Littrell said in his press conference that he wasn't moved because he couldn't play tight end but because they needed help at linebacker.  For some reason, Vito decided to ignore Littrell's specific words and add a bit of a negative slant to the story.

Secondly, in the middle of the article, for no reason whatsoever, Vito adds this:

UNT is 4-37 all-time against teams from the Southeastern Conference and lost to Arkansas 66-7 the last time it visited Razorback Stadium in 2007.

Why?  it serves no purpose in the story but bashes the team that he is paid to cover.  If he left this out the article would not lose a thing.  This is a habit of Vito we've seen over the years that he just throws in little negative stats into his articles.  I'm not sure if Vito is oblivious to this habit of his or if he just has a negative personality and thinks everyone else does as well.  Vito is also a very average writer who often has mistakes in his articles.  I wish the DRC would instead hire the NT Daily writers who have been doing a much better job over the past few years. 

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 3
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Downvote 4

8 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

I believe the "we" you reference is a very small minority.  I like Vito's reporting.

You may or may not be correct.  We would need to take a poll. 

Your first point is bogus, and he didn't "imply" anything and is not "factually wrong".
Would King have played a single down at Tight End?  We don't know, but the coaches believed he would do better at Linebacker, so it "didn't work out" at TE.  What is wrong with that?

Littrell specifically emphasized the point that he was moved because they had a need at linebacker, not that he couldn't play tight end.  When the coach says one thing and Vito writes something that indicates the opposite, then it's incorrect.  By itself it's not a huge thing but he does this over and over and over and over.  

1 minute ago, NorthTexan95 said:

Littrell specifically emphasized the point that he was moved because they had a need at linebacker, not that he couldn't play tight end.  When the coach says one thing and Vito writes something that indicates the opposite, then it's incorrect.  By itself it's not a huge thing but he does this over and over and over and over.  

Well, I think @Harry has a partnership with Vito now, so I dunno how excited he would be for someone to open up a poll for a handful of people to tee-off on Vito, but if he's on board, fire it up.  Bet you a scoop of Beth Maries you're in the minority.

I suppose we're arguing semantics, but I really don't see any "opposite indication".   
They have a need at Jack linebacker.   We have over 100 dudes on the team... Why move King?  Maybe because it "was not going to work out" (whatever that could mean) at Tight End?
Now if he wrote something like, "...but King was terrible at Tight End, so the coaches took a flyer on him at LB...", that would be indicating the opposite, to me.

• Upvote 1

Just now, NorthTexan95 said:

its coach speak. I can’t think of a time a coach ever threw a kid under the bus by saying he wasn’t cut out to play his current position. They give him a try elsewhere and tell the media they had try something new/needed help elsewhere.

if he was good at TE, he wouldn’t have been moved.

Im with @MeanGreenTexan

PatrioticSnoopyAlphabyiRiS-A-1.gif~c200

I do tire, though, if hearig about out all time record against the SEC.

• Thanks 1

All week all I heard was Kentucky hasn't beat Florida in decades. Should the media have talked about how good their basketball team is? 

Vitto does a good job. He is not the pep rally newspaper. Also from the shit show he had to put up with in the past we should be happy he writes the way he writes now.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 3

Journalism majors can correct me here but I think the general rule of beat writer is to treat the reader as if they are not familiar with the subject or history. Vito always provides some context.  Our record against the SEC is real and relevant to the situation.  It displays the magnitude of the win or the lack of consequence of a loss.  

That said, I have always felt he has an axe to grind when he uses the "Darrel R. Dickey" practice field.   Hey none of us are perfect! haha

• Upvote 3

Any time one team is preparing to face another with whom there is any history, you read again and again about the all-time record between the schools, record vs. conference, previous scores, etc.  It would be flimsy journalism to not provide historical context.  And, Vito's actually framing the narrative in a way that sets us up for a whole spate of feel good stories if we pull off a win.

• Upvote 2

Vito is not paid to be a fan of NT.  However, he is a NT beat writer of long standing and it is unusual that a person in that position would not become a homer at some point.  

Vito seems to be neutral about the team, but never about the coaches.  However, he seems to judge coaches not on their ability to lead the team, but how they relate to him.

NT is lucky to have a dedicated beat writer as newspaper coverage continues to dwindle.  Vito does a good job overall, but he is so familiar to many NT fans that their interest in his reporting has waned over the years.   

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Greendylan said:

Any time one team is preparing to face another with whom there is any history, you read again and again about the all-time record between the schools, record vs. conference, previous scores, etc.  It would be flimsy journalism to not provide historical context.  And, Vito's actually framing the narrative in a way that sets us up for a whole spate of feel good stories if we pull off a win.

Except the article isn't about the Arkansas game, it's about Jamie King.  

• Upvote 3

I have to chime in and agree with NorthTexan95.....

Vito can't seem to write an article without belittling North Texas in some way.

Subtle references to past coaches, the cost of our stadium......etc....  Anything to make us look small time.

And he gets lots of his info from this board.

It is what it is, but its definitely noticeable to this observer.....

*and yes---we don't have to read it if we don't want to*

• Ray 1

6 minutes ago, NTPoonKing said:

I have to chime in and agree with NorthTexan95.....

Vito can't seem to write an article without belittling North Texas in some way.

Subtle references to past coaches, the cost of our stadium......etc....  Anything to make us look small time.

And he gets lots of his info from this board.

It is what it is, but its definitely noticeable to this observer.....

*and yes---we don't have to read it if we don't want to*

"Cost of our Stadium"??

51 minutes ago, NorthTexan95 said:

Except the article isn't about the Arkansas game, it's about Jamie King.  

Sure, that's a fair point.  I don't want to speak for Vito here, of course, but an argument could be made that the binding thematic thread common to all these player/coach profiles and features throughout the game week is the overwhelming opportunity that the upcoming game (Arkansas) presents for those individuals and the football program they represent.

6 hours ago, GrandGreen said:

Vito seems to be neutral about the team, but never about the coaches.  However, he seems to judge coaches not on their ability to lead the team, but how they relate to him.

Exactly this. 

Although I don’t really see SL being so fond of ole Brett, but he is pretty kind in his writing about him. 

It does seem like that stat is forced into the article.  As if he had written a nice feel good story about King, his journey, how far he’s come and ability to adapt to a new position, and then Vito or the editor said “Wait!  This story can’t possibly be complete without talking about how much UNT sucks historically against the SEC or what the score was against Arkansas back when the King was in elementary school”.  Insert blurb.  “Ahh.  Now it really lets you know how King is as a player.”