DRC: Cole Hedlund to make emotional return to Arkansas

Brett Vito

Think about a guy like Kevin Dillman.
Highly recruited guy.  Came here and did not live up to expectations at all (y'all remember all of the threads on him between 2015-2017).  Not a bad guy, didn't leave on bad terms or anything...

Now, imagine him going to Incarnate Word for 2018 as a grad transfer & rolling into town as a significant contributor on that team.   How would we, as fans, receive him? 
I assume some people would harbor resentment, "Why couldn't you do this while wearing Green?!?!  I hate you!!!1!"
I assume some people would be happy he's playing at that level & maybe root for him to do well, but not UIW as a whole.
I assume most just wouldn't really care.
That's kinda how I see Hedlund's homecoming going down.

• Upvote 1

55 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Highly recruited guy.  Came here and did not live up to expectations at all (y'all remember all of the threads on him between 2015-2017).  Not a bad guy, didn't leave on bad terms or anything...

Now, imagine him going to Incarnate Word for 2018 as a grad transfer & rolling into town as a significant contributor on that team.   How would we, as fans, receive him? 
I assume some people would harbor resentment, "Why couldn't you do this while wearing Green?!?!  I hate you!!!1!"
I assume some people would be happy he's playing at that level & maybe root for him to do well, but not UIW as a whole.

The main difference is that Hog fans see Hedlund as a big reason they lost some key games last season. The 20 yard dinger against TCU was immortalized in a youtube video simply titled "Cole Hedlund Sucks".

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

I think a better comparison would have been if a guy like McNulty would have Grad Transferred to another school, and came back to town and looked like a legit D1 QB.  We would turn our attention and hatred from the player to the former coaching staff because it would be obvious to us, it was coaching and not talent.

• Upvote 1

It is perplexing how you can miss a 20 yard kick so badly and not succeed somewhere but then kill it by going somewhere else.

Most people don't think there's much coaching that goes into kicking but apparently it does make a difference. Bielema's special teams were awful. I think most Arkansas fans put it on him. Do you guys have a dedicated special teams coach? We didn't under him and still don't under Morris and some fans wish we did but the staff handles it as a committee.

12 minutes ago, Hogfan14 said:

It is perplexing how you can miss a 20 yard kick so badly and not succeed somewhere but then kill it by going somewhere else.

Most people don't think there's much coaching that goes into kicking but apparently it does make a difference. Bielema's special teams were awful. I think most Arkansas fans put it on him. Do you guys have a dedicated special teams coach? We didn't under him and still don't under Morris and some fans wish we did but the staff handles it as a committee.

Look at Va Tech because they made a name for themselves special teams and throw in a couple super athletic QBs. 

I'm a big fan of going out and getting a great kicker and spending time on special teams.

15 minutes ago, Hogfan14 said:

yes we do have a Special Teams Coordinator