Uni's for Arkansas...

Cerebus

13 hours ago, MGNation92 said:

He's doing a variation of this pose. All the recruits and players are doing it. Has to do with Kodak Black. He's a rapper. That being said, it's also H-Town(much like Kidsy did in that punt return against Rice)

8590731.jpg

Nope.  These two have their pinkie and thumb extended.  Darden is doing the Hook'em sign...pinkie and pointer.

2 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

Nope.  These two have their pinkie and thumb extended.  Darden is doing the Hook'em sign...pinkie and pointer.

Thank you I had no idea.

• He's doing a variation of this pose. All the recruits and players are doing it. Has to do with Kodak Black. He's a rapper. That being said, it's also H-Town(much like Kidsy did in that punt return against Rice)

Regardless of what various hand signs may mean in pop culture, in the college football world the hand sign is definitely "Hook'em Horns."  so it looks ridiculous for a player from another team to be flashing the sign.  I doubt very seriously you'd see an Aggie from H-town flashing the sign.

Love the uni's, but the helmets are definitely Oregon-esque.  

So we're copying Oregon's helmets and flashing UT's hand sign.  

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Downvote 9

32 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Not old.  He's just a connoisseur.
NAS would still destroy any of these dudes like he did Jay-Z back in the day.   
Apologies to actual artists today like JCole & Kendrick Lamar.

Going to totally hijack this thread but: the best part about modern hip-hop is that its no longer a one track genre. You can be lyrical, you can focus on production and flow, etc. Art is relative, I suppose.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, meangreenlax said:

Going to totally hijack this thread but: the best part about modern hip-hop is that its no longer a one track genre. You can be lyrical, you can focus on production and flow, etc. Art is relative, I suppose.

Let's hijack.
It was the same way back then too.  
There were some awesome tracks that had terrible raps over them.
There were dudes like DMX that weren't all that lyrical, but still made hits because of his odd style (comparable to Future & mumble rappers today, I suppose).
I don't think I've ever heard old-school hiphop called "one-track" though.

• Upvote 1

Just now, MeanGreenTexan said:

Let's hijack.
There were dudes like DMX that weren't all that lyrical, but still made hits because of his odd style (comparable to Future & mumble rappers today, I suppose).

Slightly further tangential hijack:

D'Angelo: Brown Sugar vs. Voodoo vs. Black Messiah

Aaaaaaaaaaaand go.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Christopher Walker said:

Slightly further tangential hijack:

D'Angelo: Brown Sugar vs. Voodoo vs. Black Messiah

Aaaaaaaaaaaand go.

I love all the NeoSoul sounds/artists.   I imagine with the heightened jazz influences, you probably do too.
D'Angelo was definitely at the forefront with Brown Sugar & Voodoo.
IMO, Voodoo has probably be greatest baby-makin' song of all time on it (sorry Marvin Gaye): 
Untitled (How Does it Feel)

Honestly, I've not heard Black Messiah.  I'll give that a listen today.

28 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Let's hijack.

I'd definitely agree with that. From my 25 year old perspective, it just seems that the majority of the mainstream (save for Kendrick, J Cole [although his last project was a bit meh]) has shifted much farther away from lyricism. Atlanta/Houston/Memphis style flow and production is what is running the show right now.

GN59LTe.gif

Edited by meangreenlax
fix link
  • Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, meangreenlax said:

I'd definitely agree with that. From my 25 year old perspective, it just seems that the majority of the mainstream (save for Kendrick, J Cole [although his last project was a bit meh]) has shifted much farther away from lyricism. Atlanta/Houston/Memphis style flow and production is what is running the show right now.

GN59LTe.gif

Oh yes.  That's definitely me whenever Biggie's Hypnotize comes on.

Good beats/production without meaningful lyrical content can still be good stuff.  Those cities you mention have been doing it for a while.   Heck, a lot of Rock-n-roll is like that too.
Coming out of Houston in 1997:

Meanwhile, around the same time, same city, Scarface was dropping some incredible lyrics (this song is from 1994... yet the lyrics are extremely relevant today):

• Upvote 1