Late, Overcrowded Shuttles Reported at UNT vs. SMU Game

Skipper

Those who utilized the Mean Green Game Day shuttle to attend UNT’s first football game of the season reported late, overcrowded shuttles. The Mean Green Game Day shuttle, which has been in use for five years, takes passengers from downtown Denton to the pedestrian bridge across from Apogee Stadium.

However, on game day there were few shuttle buses running and the ones available were completely full, said Amy Fair, a 32-year-old who works in marketing and used the Mean Green Game Day shuttle to attend the UNT vs. SMU games in 2016 and this year.

“We had a really good experience with the shuttle in the past and were expecting the same this time around,” Fair said.

But Fair said her shuttle experience this year was the complete opposite. Fair said she waited at the Mellow Mushroom stop, the same as she did two years ago. However, this year she waited for an hour and 20 minutes at the stop, which had a sign posted reading ‘first stop.’

“But come to find out, every stop had a sign on it that said, ‘first stop,’ so that was a little confusing,” Fair said. “During that hour and 20 minutes that we were waiting, only two shuttles came by our stop, neither one of them stopped because both of them were full. So even in that amount of time we were waiting, we only saw two of the shuttles.”

Fair said by 6:10 p.m. she, her husband and a couple friends had debated different options to try and get to the game from getting an Uber, waiting it out or trying to drive and find parking. But eventually they decided to go to the East Side Denton Bar to watch the game.

“We didn’t even make it to the game,” Fair said. “We had to watch it on TV.”

View Full Article

• Upvote 2
  • Sad 1
  • Downvote 1

Yeah, there were some major issues with handling the crowds during the SMU game.    I was frustrated myself.

But, it is a good problem to have.   I have no doubt that the administration will fix things, provided that we fans continue to fill the stadium.   

Edited by akriesman
  • Upvote 2

Saw several of the Shuttles stuck in the Blue Armageddon on Bonnie Brae. Not surprised there were problems. I've used the gameday shuttles before to get from the train to Apogee, and they were usually quite good, but this clearly was mucked-up by the new parking situation. 

Again, this is by far the sort of problem I've always wanted at UNT, so that's good. Seems like Athletics has already gotten on the ball to try to fix it as well.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Legend500 said:

Saw several of the Shuttles stuck in the Blue Armageddon on Bonnie Brae. Not surprised there were problems. I've used the gameday shuttles before to get from the train to Apogee, and they were usually quite good, but this clearly was mucked-up by the new parking situation. 

Again, this is by far the sort of problem I've always wanted at UNT, so that's good. Seems like Athletics has already gotten on the ball to try to fix it as well.

I saw this also while being stuck on Bonnie Brae headed to the blue lot.   It looked like people were getting off the shuttles early and walking.   Smart move on their part.

Edited by akriesman
  • Upvote 2
  • Lovely Take 1

These are all problem you can work out but again we have to get out of the #olddenton mentality.  It's your home opener and you have a record amount of season tickets.  Instead of trying to hit the metric exactly how about working in some cushion to ensure this type of thing doesn't happen?  Would much rather have a couple of empty busses than have these types of situations arise.

1 hour ago, Skipper said:

Fair said by 6:10 p.m. she, her husband and a couple friends had debated different options to try and get to the game from getting an Uber, waiting it out or trying to drive and find parking. But eventually they decided to go to the East Side Denton Bar to watch the game.

The Fair's sound like the ultimate #olddenton couple.  A bit of adversity and they just give up.

Split an Uber from The Square to Fouts (easier than a drop off at Apogee).  No need to "debate" anything.  It would have been a $12 Uber or $15 Uber XL ride... split a few ways if the Fair's weren't feeling benevolent enough to spot their friends.  I'm sure there wasn't surge pricing mid day originating from The Square.

• Upvote 2
  • Confused 1
  • Downvote 1

1.  Good problem to have as many have stated.

2.  On the other hand, the AD was announcing a near sellout, so planning for extra time getting there was essential.

3.  Waiting at a shuttle stop for 80 minutes is insane.  Call DCTA to find out what is going on, give up and drive to the orange lot, etc...

4.  Sounds like the DCTA dropped the ball on this one.  Would love to hear their explanation.

5.  Walking to East Side to watch the game shows their real desire to get to the game.

• Upvote 2

That's inexcusable.   And yes, why wouldnt they just take an uber, I get it....But some of the fans might have been families, looking for that free ride.   A day at the game with the kids can be costly to a young family, so anything with the word 'Free" goes a long way...

The game has been on the books.  DCTA has had a year to prepare for it...If they figure on worst case scenario (sell out) then it's all math from there...We've all waited for years for the pieces to fall into place, great team, great coaching, great game day experience...Who knows how many of those fans were  - "first timers", and could just write off the idea of going to any more games.  Unfortunately, we live in a world of instant gratification, and if someone drops the ball, then it puts you way behind...To me, this is part of the rift that's always been between UNT and Denton not being supportive...

LaTECH promises to be another really good game/crowd...UNT needs to sit down with DCTA and hear how this is going to be accommodated.   If it's too much for DCTA, there's shuttle companies out there that will be happy to pick up people...

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 3

3 hours ago, Pavlovs Eagle said:

The Fair's sound like the ultimate #olddenton couple.  A bit of adversity and they just give up.

Split an Uber from The Square to Fouts (easier than a drop off at Apogee).  No need to "debate" anything.  It would have been a $12 Uber or $15 Uber XL ride... split a few ways if the Fair's weren't feeling benevolent enough to spot their friends.  I'm sure there wasn't surge pricing mid day originating from The Square.

There was only one Uber and it was 20 minutes away and an $11 fate I think. I know because I consodeeed it while waiting 50 minutes for a usually reliable game day shuttle. There were probably 50+ people waiting at the East Side stop where we were. We ended up loading the family back up and driving to park by the college inn and walk. I didn’t want to pay $10 to park because I could see the line to get into the lot from the highway and figured the shuttle would be faster.

• Upvote 2

Before any discussion can begin about expansion, there has to be infrastructure and systems in place to accommodate growth. If this season unfolds like we all want it to. Then these problems must be fixed in order to expand everything relating to athletics at North Texas.

-GMG

https://www.ntdaily.com/late-overcrowded-shuttles-reported-at-unt-vs-smu-game/

Edited by Salsa_Verde
  • Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1

This whole area is experiencing massive growth. The university is in a constant state of construction and so is the city of Denton. These are great things and it is exciting to be able to see first hand the transformation that is taking place. But the roads in Denton are in horrible condition, I feel like the infrastructure is simply inadequate to accommodate more traffic. It will get fixed, but how soon I have no clue. 

Edited by Salsa_Verde
  • Upvote 2

9 hours ago, edcollopy said:

Sucks to hear that, but it is it really that hard to drive and pay $10 or park somewhere on camps and walk?  Waiting outside for 80 minutes in the heat?  Sounds ridiculous.

I use the shuttle regularly. It goes by the DCTA station, Eastside and on Fry. It makes for a fun day to pre-game at Eastside (or another bar) and watch some football there, and then hop on the bus. The shuttle takes you back to fry or the square after the game and you can stay again. I live on the square so it’s even more convenient because I don’t have to worry about driving for the whole day.

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Salsa_Verde said:

This whole area is experiencing massive growth. The university is in a constant state of construction and so is the city of Denton. These are great things and it is exciting to be able to see first hand the transformation that is taking place. But the roads in Denton are in horrible condition, I feel like the infrastructure is simply inadequate to accommodate more traffic. It will get fixed, but how soon I have no clue. 

Family has lived in Denton since the mkd 60's.  Roads have been crap since then.  If they are ever fixed it will be a miracle.

• Upvote 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Salsa_Verde said:

Before any discussion can begin about expansion, there has to be infrastructure and systems in place to accommodate growth. If this season unfolds like we all want it to. Then these problems must be fixed in order to expand everything relating to athletics at North Texas.

-GMG

https://www.ntdaily.com/late-overcrowded-shuttles-reported-at-unt-vs-smu-game/

I've been to multiple SEC games in similar size towns to Denton and waiting in a line of 10 cars to pull into Fouts for $10-$15 a pop is a cakewalk.  Denton and the University already offer more than many larger universities offer their fans.  The fact that you can at your leisure decide to pay for Fouts or even $30 for the Blue lot is unheard of... along with 3 exits on two major interstates to immediately access your stadium.

Was looking through the Arkansas website today regarding parking and stumbled onto their map of parking to donation amount. Their lots equivalent distance as Fouts is to Apogee were something like $3000 a year in donations to the football program parking to 6 home games.  At last year's Iron Bowl in Auburn my watch said we walked 1.5 miles from the stadium to parking lot while walking down the side of a road with no sidewalks half the way... and there were people parked past us.

#olddenton is "If I can't park as close to Apogee as I park to the Walmart front door when getting milk, I'm not going!"

UNT makes is so easy to get to their games and park.  You want be a big boy program with a 60k seat stadium?  Prepare for the Blue Lot to be a $5000 a year donation to the MGSF.

Edited by Pavlovs Eagle
Grammar
  • Upvote 3
  • Thanks 4
  • Downvote 1

8 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

Family has lived in Denton since the mkd 60's.  Roads have been crap since then.  If they are ever fixed it will be a miracle.

That’s disconcerting. I was hoping the roads where more of a recent problem. I’ve lived here since 2000.

8 hours ago, Pavlovs Eagle said:

I've been to multiple SEC games in similar size towns to Denton and waiting in a line of 10 cars to pull into Fouts for $10-$15 a pop is a cakewalk.  Denton and the University already offer more than many larger universities offer their fans.  The fact that you can at your leisure decide to pay for Fouts or even $30 for the Blue lot is unheard of... along with 3 exits on two major interstates to immediately access your stadium.

Was looking through the Arkansas website today regarding parking and stumbled onto their map of parking to donation amount. Their lots equivalent distance as Fouts is to Apogee were something like $3000 a year in donations to the football program parking to 6 home games.  At last year's Iron Bowl in Auburn my watch said we walked 1.5 miles from the stadium to parking lot while walking down the side of a road with no sidewalks half the way... and there were people parked past us.

#olddenton is "If I can't park as close to Apogee as I park to the Walmart front door when getting milk, I'm not going!"

UNT makes is so easy to get to their games and park.  You want be a big boy program with a 60k seat stadium?  Prepare for the Blue Lot to be a $5000 a year donation to the MGSF.

I agree, the more North Texas wins, then the more amount of traffic and people that will come to games. My hope is that the city and the university can come together to make it efficient so we can have the maximum number of people showing up to games. Of course there will be problems but hopefully it will be things that can be fixed and not outright incompetence. 

• Upvote 1

18 hours ago, Harry said:

These are all problem you can work out but again we have to get out of the #olddenton mentality.  It's your home opener and you have a record amount of season tickets.  Instead of trying to hit the metric exactly how about working in some cushion to ensure this type of thing doesn't happen?  Would much rather have a couple of empty busses than have these types of situations arise.

Completely agree

• Upvote 2

We have used the shuttle for the last several years and prior to the Wren era they were ghost towns except on the trip back.  We took the shuttle to the SMU game, but made sure to get to the DCTA train stop 2 hours early and catch one of the first shuttles to the game.  Had no issues.  One of the best things about the SMU game shuttle was that it dropped us off at the base of the bridge right next to the stadium.  There was a wait for a shuttle at game's end, but it was definitely due to the crowd and road construction, and people (and Uber) picking up folks where the shuttle picked up in the same spot.

Like mentioned earlier, this is a great problem to have, but if you're going to use the shuttle, my advice is to get on one no less than an hour before kickoff for "premium" games, and I would advise 2 hours.  Hit the tailgates and alumni center pre-game.

• Upvote 1