From Hogville.Net: "I honestly think that we blow out North Texas!"

PlummMeanGreen

this will be a true test for english and crew on the dl.  The break away runs with icw seemed to be the same play that SMUT had a break away run on.  I am wrong on that?  on that play if they break the dl they seem to run for a long time.  We will need to score everytime we touch the ball.

• Upvote 2

I don’t think you can argue much with it until we prove them wrong.  We haven’t proven a whole lot based on who we have played, other than we are better than last year.  Even a bad Arkansas is a better team than we have beaten in a very long time.   What team have we beaten in last 2 years that’s better than Arkansas?

• Upvote 5
  • Lovely Take 1

6 hours ago, meangreanmick said:

I don’t think you can argue much with it until we prove them wrong.  We haven’t proven a whole lot based on who we have played, other than we are better than last year.  Even a bad Arkansas is a better team than we have beaten in a very long time.   What team have we beaten in last 2 years that’s better than Arkansas?

Army. 

But your point is still valid and I agree. Even a bad SEC team will have good athletes with size. An upset will be incredibly difficult.

• Upvote 3

I don’t see a win. I hope for an upset but we must play a prefect game to win. Arkansas will not pass on us to much. They will run all over us. They will use there size to break us down. We will give up big runs. Our guys have not seen this kindof speed and size this year. Arkansas will be ready to play at home.  Just hope fine makes it out of Fayetteville. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 3

1 hour ago, Sig381 said:

I don’t see a win. I hope for an upset but we must play a prefect game to win. Arkansas will not pass on us to much. They will run all over us. They will use there size to break us down. We will give up big runs. Our guys have not seen this kindof speed and size this year. Arkansas will be ready to play at home.  Just hope fine makes it out of Fayetteville. 

I disagree a bit. A bad front 7 stymied Iowa's run game bc we 'played up'. As it looks now, we're a better defensive team. We need our front 7 to play with reckless abandon. We have to bring safeties down and have strong run support from our corners. Put the game in the hands of Cole Kelley. I think we can do that. And if we do, we'll be happy with the results. 

• Upvote 1
  • Confused 1

19 minutes ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

I disagree a bit. A bad front 7 stymied Iowa's run game bc we 'played up'. As it looks now, we're a better defensive team. We need our front 7 to play with reckless abandon. We have to bring safeties down and have strong run support from our corners. Put the game in the hands of Cole Kelley. I think we can do that. And if we do, we'll be happy with the results. 

a bad front seven kept Iowa's run game average, and ended up giving up 240 yards rushing. midway through the third qtr, though, Iowa had won that battle, and was beating us with their 3rd string RB. 

I really hope our front seven is better, and this is the week that we are going to find out. I hope that the players are fired up for this game and come out swinging. 

• Upvote 1

I went back and looked at the stats on the Iowa game last year....we had the lead at halftime and for most of the 3rd qtr until they went on a 14 play nearly 7 minute drive to score the go ahead TD.

Then they got the ball back again at the end of the 3rd qtr and kept the ball from then and for HALF OF THE 4TH QTR going on a 16 play 87 yard TD drive that lasted nearly 9 minutes

Then their last TD drive was 10 plays, 4 minutes.

Iowa kept the ball for over 40 minutes in that game and ran the ball 59 times. They wore us down in the 2nd half.

If I were Chad Morris....I wouldn't get cute here...I would take the Bielima players and run the ball and try to wear us down...I know he wants to get his system in place...but he can't afford to lose this game. I think this is a must win for him or he's going to be on his way to losing the team with Auburn coming up the next week.

How we defend the run is going to be so important.....Front 7 better eat their Wheaties this week and get ready for a long day

On the offensive side of things.....I hope we score early and often and put pressure on them to get out of the run game. Evidently they're having QB issues....letting them get into a comfort zone of running consistently could be a problem

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, TheColonyEagle said:

I went back and looked at the stats on the Iowa game last year....we had the lead at halftime and for most of the 3rd qtr until they went on a 14 play nearly 7 minute drive to score the go ahead TD.

Then they got the ball back again at the end of the 3rd qtr and kept the ball from then and for HALF OF THE 4TH QTR going on a 16 play 87 yard TD drive that lasted nearly 9 minutes

Then their last TD drive was 10 plays, 4 minutes.

Iowa kept the ball for over 40 minutes in that game and ran the ball 59 times. They wore us down in the 2nd half.

If I were Chad Morris....I wouldn't get cute here...I would take the Bielima players and run the ball and try to wear us down...I know he wants to get his system in place...but he can't afford to lose this game. I think this is a must win for him or he's going to be on his way to losing the team with Auburn coming up the next week.

How we defend the run is going to be so important.....Front 7 better eat their Wheaties this week and get ready for a long day

On the offensive side of things.....I hope we score early and often and put pressure on them to get out of the run game. Evidently they're having QB issues....letting them get into a comfort zone of running consistently could be a problem

interesting...

If I were Chad Morris... 

I would play man defense against our WR's with no safety help... maybe run a standard 4-3 front never blitz, but just stay in coverage... again, no safety help.

additionally, i would install an entirely new offense this week... maybe a power I formation but with a lot of shifting and blocking schemes that are VERY unfamiliar to my own team... then I would run the same play over and over until it worked... EVEN IF THIS MEANS THAT THE HOGS DON'T SCORE FOR A HALF.

for special teams i would have the punter and the kicker try using their opposite feet, to confuse UNT's special teams. 

It may not make a ton of sense to the regular fan... but changes like these will get them ready for SEC play.

• Upvote 3
  • Ray 2

1 minute ago, golfingomez said:

interesting...

If I were Chad Morris... 

I would play man defense against our WR's with no safety help... maybe run a standard 4-3 front never blitz, but just stay in coverage... again, no safety help.

additionally, i would install an entirely new offense this week... maybe a power I formation but with a lot of shifting and blocking schemes that are VERY unfamiliar to my own team... then I would run the same play over and over until it worked... EVEN IF THIS MEANS THAT THE HOGS DON'T SCORE FOR A HALF.

for special teams i would have the punter and the kicker try using their opposite feet, to confuse UNT's special teams. 

It may not make a ton of sense to the regular fan... but changes like these will get them ready for SEC play.

Another idea would be a quarterback sneak on 3rd and long.  We would never see it coming. 

• Lovely Take 1

19 minutes ago, golfingomez said:

interesting...

If I were Chad Morris... 

I would think he would want to look back at the time when Arkansas was relevant, and maybe try running Lou Holtz's Wishbone.

• Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 1

2 hours ago, Sig381 said:

This makes logical sense. HOWEVER, if you watched that CSU/Arkansas game closely there were tons of times that it would have made sense to just run the ball on CSU and Arkansas still chose to pass. For whatever reason, they're calling pass plays even when everything indicates that it won't work. 

3 minutes ago, ABrownGMG said:

This makes logical sense. HOWEVER, if you watched that CSU/Arkansas game closely there were tons of times that it would have made sense to just run the ball on CSU and Arkansas still chose to pass. For whatever reason, they're calling pass plays even when everything indicates that it won't work. 

I think this is Morris trying to get his system in....they're going to have growing pains and my guess is he thought with a "weaker" opponent...that was the time to tinker.

He can't afford to tinker this week. He has to win.

• Upvote 1

Arkansas recruited to be a team that ran between the tackles. Classic old school B1G football. Morris has only his first class that was recruited to be a spread team. Like someone walking up to a rifle squad and telling them they are now artillery but it will be a year or so before the cannons arrive but just go ahead operate like an artillery unit until then.

They are primed to be beaten, very, very, similar situation to when ULM beat Arkansas and when ULM beat Bama, both were transition years. The win is there for the taking.

• Upvote 4

50 minutes ago, ABrownGMG said:

My main concern is that there is NO WAY they are going to do that again.  Right?  Right?!