Will the 400 Member UNT Green Brigade Marching Band Go To Arkansas?

PlummMeanGreen

2 hours ago, Cerebus said:

It is a cost thing.  They would not get any free tickets from Arkansas either.  I am sure if anyone wanted to donate the cost of the band attending the AD/Band Director would love to cash your check.  

THIS!! For sure. I would love for the band to go. I'm sure we all would. But the same people going nuts about this will be the ones griping when their tickets go up to cover this expense or when we can't match an offer Littrell gets. Power 5 schools don't give you free band tickets. The cheapest Arkansas ticket (lower level because you can't put a band in the upper deck) was $60 when I bought mine yesterday. Upper deck is $45. You'd need tickets for 400 band members plus instruments (probably another 25-30 tickets). Tickets alone would be nearly $30,000. They need buses. Probably 8-10 buses which probably rent for $2,000 per day each. There's another $20k. Bus drivers can only drive so many hours per day so you'll need two drivers for every bus. Then you need to feed the band. They'll be on the road for 16 total hours so that's at least 3 meals plus probably a snack. Another $16k or so (400 meals X 4 X $10). So that's almost $70,000. Who's in to donate? Because the truth of the matter is we don't get the $45 million that SEC schools get from TV so we can't do everything they do. It's a financial reality unless a donor wants to write the check.

Edited by meangreenJW
  • Upvote 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

Even A&M doesn't take their entire band (350 plus) to away games. They leave their freshmen and sophmores at home.  All SEC teams require each member have a ticket. LSU even said they couldn't come the last time the Ags went to Baton Rouge.

Edited by DT 90
  • Upvote 5

27 minutes ago, DT 90 said:

Even A&M doesn't take their entire band (350 plus) to away games. They leave their freshmen and sophmores at home.  All SEC teams require each member have a ticket. LSU even said they couldn't come the last time the Ags went to Baton Rouge.

As I recall, the last time we played A&M it was at Texas stadium and, because we were the home team, they brought a "pep band".......a very annoying pep band.

• Haha 3

Fun Fact: Eldon Janzen was the long time Director of Bands at the University of Arkansas. He did his grad work at North Texas and was Maurice McAdow's graduate assistant. 

I send this in spite of the risk of getting Silver Eagle started again. 😀

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, letsgiveacheer said:

Fun Fact: Eldon Janzen was the long time Director of Bands at the University of Arkansas. He did his grad work at North Texas and was Maurice McAdow's graduate assistant. 

Maurice Who?

Band costs should not come out of athletic budgets, it should come out of advertising budgets.  Just like the billboards that the university purchases for advertising, the administration should evaluate the advertising affect that the band at selected out of town games represents.  If the answer is that we get a lot of coverage and advertising out of band appearances at high profile games, then fund the trip from advertising funds.

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, letsgiveacheer said:

Is there a youtube of the Arkansas Marching band while he was still director?

42 minutes ago, letsgiveacheer said:

I can't tell if if you are The Joker or not!  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FgDU17xqNXo

If not,  please see here: https://www.pbmalpha.org/pbmhalloffamebio.php?HOF_Number=033

"His first musical experience was playing cornet in a municipal band in Anthony, Kansas. At the age of 16, he played with tent shows and stock companies."

So, Mr. McAdow had to get out and make a living playing his instrument before he entered the sometimes cloistered world of academia. Just speculation, but I'd guess that that is where he learned the importance of showmanship.

• Upvote 2
  • Lovely Take 1

7 hours ago, GreenN'walinsVet said:

spitballing here, but could this be part of the contract with Arkansas.  They won't let us bring the band?  

How many times have we brought our band to a P5 stadium?   

Great question that I haven't seen the answer 2. 

2 hours ago, drex said:

Band costs should not come out of athletic budgets, it should come out of advertising budgets.  Just like the billboards that the university purchases for advertising, the administration should evaluate the advertising affect that the band at selected out of town games represents.  If the answer is that we get a lot of coverage and advertising out of band appearances at high profile games, then fund the trip from advertising funds.

That is a very good point.  Playing Arkansas is a showcase event.  Who knows what future athletic propect or just really smart student will be in the stands gameday.  I think good showing at these games are just as important long term as most bowl games we have a legitimate shot to go to without being the highest rating G5 conference champion.  I am usually the ask where is the money going to come from.  Drex provided a legitimate answer.  I think it should be a no brainier when we are playing one of the few out of state P5 programs that are in driving distance.  When we play in Arkansas, or Norman, OK we should bring the band.  Maybe cut it down to 300 to save some money. Now going to Baton Rouge (LSU) might be too long a trip.  Plus they like to play in the evening.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

4 hours ago, drex said:

I both wholly agree with this argument and also delight in Drex saying this with his avatar being an actual billboard.

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, SilverEagle said:

So, Mr. McAdow had to get out and make a living playing his instrument before he entered the sometimes cloistered world of academia. Just speculation, but I'd guess that that is where he learned the importance of showmanship.

Like many musicians of his generation, Mr. McAdow played professionally before going to college. If I recall, he was in his mid thirties before he graduated with his bachelor's.  He had some great stories about surviving as a trumpet player during the Great Depression. He would often hop on a freight train to ride to his next gig! 

• Upvote 1

On 9/11/2018 at 5:49 AM, NorthTexasWeLove said:

Strings need to be pulled to change that ASAP 

Money needs to be donated along with pulling those strings. To send 450 band members and all their equipment to away games is pretty darn expensive. Plus, some folks do not allow full opposing teams bands as they take up too much room in the stadium for ticket buying fans. Have no clue about Arkansas and it’s away game band policies. But, have noticed both in person and on TV that “away” teams often do not have their full complement of band members. I have no clue what the policy is regarding away bands. For folks who might know....are there set rules regarding this stuff?

16 hours ago, Mike Jackson said:

Great question that I haven't seen the answer 2. 

That is a very good point.  Playing Arkansas is a showcase event.  Who knows what future athletic propect or just really smart student will be in the stands gameday.  I think good showing at these games are just as important long term as most bowl games we have a legitimate shot to go to without being the highest rating G5 conference champion.  I am usually the ask where is the money going to come from.  Drex provided a legitimate answer.  I think it should be a no brainier when we are playing one of the few out of state P5 programs that are in driving distance.  When we play in Arkansas, or Norman, OK we should bring the band.  Maybe cut it down to 300 to save some money. Now going to Baton Rouge (LSU) might be too long a trip.  Plus they like to play in the evening.

This needs to happen anyway. 400 is entirely too big and unmanageable. IMHO they inflated the band up to 400 so that the stands on the student side would not look so empty.  Plus all the family and friends of the extra band members will buy tickets and increase attendance. Soooooo lame. 

• Confused 1
  • Downvote 1

What school is going to take a 400 + member band to an away football game the distance of Fayetteville?   I doubt any university for a non-conference game.  

As far as advertising for NT,  there are a lot of better ways to promote the University than a football game.   I doubt any of the Arkansas fans there are going to be so enamored with the band that they want to go to school in Denton.    

Now win the game and some folks will be impressed.  

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, Cerebus said:

If i remember correctly, the music education majors are required to march.

I think the requirement is 3 years of marching, not sure.  Maybe just 2.

i have never heard of enrollment being capped, and I know they let non music majors participate. I’m not sure what caused the membership to balloon from ~260 (when I marched) to 400.

personally, I don’t like it. It limits what formations/motions you can do on the field.

4 hours ago, KRAM1 said:

Money needs to be donated along with pulling those strings. To send 450 band members and all their equipment to away games is pretty darn expensive. Plus, some folks do not allow full opposing teams bands as they take up too much room in the stadium for ticket buying fans. Have no clue about Arkansas and it’s away game band policies. But, have noticed both in person and on TV that “away” teams often do not have their full complement of band members. I have no clue what the policy is regarding away bands. For folks who might know....are there set rules regarding this stuff?

Bring 30. 

• Downvote 1