Arkansas losing to CSU did not help us

Harry

You know that Morris is extremely pissed (if not just watch his press conference here) and will have their team very motivated and fired up for this game now.  We sort of lose the element of surprise now.   I still think we can win but it just got a whole lot harder for us. 

27 minutes ago, Harry said:

You know that Morris is extremely pissed (if not just watch his press conference here) and will have their team very motivated and fired up for this game now.  We sort of lose the element of surprise now.   I still think we can win but it just got a whole lot harder for us. 

Agree 100%.  The odds of any P5 (SEC) losing back-to-back games to any G5 schools has to be pretty low.  Hopefully we can match the Hogs emotion.

• Upvote 1

Personally I like this scenario.  I hope the team takes it to the hogs.  They need to be fired up to play us.  Wouldn’t want it any other way.  I’am tired of NT going into games where all that is said about the big opponent is that they are looking ahead to their next big game.  Bet that’s not the case Saturday.  Here’s to putting Arkansas on upset watch!  GMG.

• Upvote 2
  • Lovely Take 2

Winning non conference games, often perceived as pre-season games, is nice but certainly not imperative. Morris would be a fool if he spent this whole week concentrating on North Texas when they have a trip to Auburn looming the following week.

As much fun as they are to cheer about or bitch about post-game, the non-league games have no lasting implications. Arkansas has a perfect trap game scenario for rival Auburn if they prepare correctly with Auburn playing a highly ranked LSU team this week and another highly ranked Mississippi State team the week after their match-up.

Which of those two games, Auburn or North Texas, would the Arkansas fans be more interested in bragging about? Winning against North Texas does absolutely nothing for Arkansas if they get their tails whipped every week in league play.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, ADLER said:

Morris would be a fool if he spent this whole week concentrating on North Texas when they have a trip to Auburn looming the following week.

If he doesn't beat us there's a chance Morris doesn't make it to the Auburn game.

He was Jerry's hire.  A lot is the other big donors were tepid in their support.  Jerry is a little busy handling his own football disaster area right now, he might not be 100% interested in having him.

Though, to be clear, it would incredibly stupid to fire him now, would make hiring really difficult.

A lot of times, a loss like this can serve as a wake-up call for a good team.
Other times, a loss like this can make a bad team very nervous & enter their next game with jitters.

Lets hope Littrell & Co come out and throw a haymaker (1st drive TD) to see if Arkansas is the latter.  If so, the jitters get turned up even more, and they'll make all kinds of mistakes trying to overcompensate & "do more".

Strike quickly, get them to fold, and this game could potentially look something like the SMU score.
Flutter out of the gate & give Arkansas confidence, and we could get beat pretty bad.

• Upvote 2

35 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

A lot of times, a loss like this can serve as a wake-up call for a good team.
Other times, a loss like this can make a bad team very nervous & enter their next game with jitters.

Lets hope Littrell & Co come out and throw a haymaker (1st drive TD) to see if Arkansas is the latter.  If so, the jitters get turned up even more, and they'll make all kinds of mistakes trying to overcompensate & "do more".

Strike quickly, get them to fold, and this game could potentially look something like the SMU score.
Flutter out of the gate & give Arkansas confidence, and we could get beat pretty bad.

Arkansas is not a good team. I am friends with many of Arkansas fans and they are sweating about this game. A couple of them have conceded to defeat and are looking for ways not to have Morris any longer. 

We can't let them have our way with our D, and I don't think they will. We are playing a worse version of Iowa from last year, but with a far more efficient passing game. The Ark backs will get theirs, we just have to limit it, much like what we did in Iowa. On O, we will need to apply pressure to their D all game long. 

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, ADLER said:

Winning non conference games, often perceived as pre-season games, is nice but certainly not imperative. Morris would be a fool if he spent this whole week concentrating on North Texas when they have a trip to Auburn looming the following week.

As much fun as they are to cheer about or bitch about post-game, the non-league games have no lasting implications. Arkansas has a perfect trap game scenario for rival Auburn if they prepare correctly with Auburn playing a highly ranked LSU team this week and another highly ranked Mississippi State team the week after their match-up.

Which of those two games, Auburn or North Texas, would the Arkansas fans be more interested in bragging about? Winning against North Texas does absolutely nothing for Arkansas if they get their tails whipped every week in league play.

A lot of what you're saying is true; however, our chances of making a bowl this year were only about 50/50 - and that was assuming we won all of our non-conferences games.  Now already with one loss, this drops dramatically.  I promise, we're concentrating 100% on North Texas this week, no doubt about it.  But... in the end it won't matter.  We lose.  After you survive the first quarter of us giving all we have, frustration will start creeping in about midway through the 2nd.  By the 4th, ya'll will be living large.

Go back an look at our recent Q4 collapses... they've been epic.  

Update: Over the last 2 seasons, plus 2 games we've been outscored 270 to 148 in Q4.  We've only outscored our opponent five times in 24 games in Q4, and those five include Alcorn St, Florida A&M, and Coastal Carolina. 

Edited by PokeyPig
Updated Info
  • Upvote 1
  • Ray 1

8 minutes ago, PokeyPig said:

A lot of what you're saying is true; however, our chances of making a bowl this year were only about 50/50 - and that was assuming we won all of our non-conferences games.  Now already with one loss, this drops dramatically.  I promise, we're concentrating 100% on North Texas this week, no doubt about it.  But... in the end it won't matter.  We lose.  After you survive the first quarter of us giving all we have, frustration will start creeping in about midway through the 2nd.  By the 4th, ya'll will be living large.

Go back an look at our recent Q4 collapses... they've been epic.  

PB96K8r.gif

3 hours ago, Cerebus said:

If he doesn't beat us there's a chance Morris doesn't make it to the Auburn game.

He was Jerry's hire.  A lot is the other big donors were tepid in their support.  Jerry is a little busy handling his own football disaster area right now, he might not be 100% interested in having him.

Though, to be clear, it would incredibly stupid to fire him now, would make hiring really difficult.

Didn't really take that into consideration. I figured since he is a first year coach, he might have a little more of a pass. 

• Upvote 1

Arkansas firing Morris in under a year would be about as foolish as it gets. Hiring him was a completely new direction for the team and surely people realize that it takes more than a couple of games to work things out. I hope the powers that be are more well-equipped to work through this season than the knee jerk fans of the world.

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, DentonLurker said:

Arkansas firing Morris in under a year would be about as foolish as it gets. Hiring him was a completely new direction for the team and surely people realize that it takes more than a couple of games to work things out. I hope the powers that be are more well-equipped to work through this season than the knee jerk fans of the world.

Morris won't be fired this year.  Our AD is new too, it'd be like admitting you hosed it.  Plus, who would we get to sign on after giving a new scheme one season to work?  This job is a tough enough sell to begin with being in the SEC West and terribly small recruiting base.  

I agree with Harry, there was little to no upside for UNT in Arkie losing to the rams. I think it will make it easier for Morris to get his players to focus on UNT, no overlooking happening.

Also if UNT actually does pull off the win, CSUs win also means the upset will be less valuable in general perception.

16 hours ago, TheColonyEagle said:

I was thinking along these lines too....however someone made the point above....P5s don’t lose to G5’s twice in a row. Arkansas knows that. And then they start looking at film of us. And our receivers. And Mason Fine. Then they look at how a Colorado St team that doesn’t have Mason fine or our receivers gashed their D pretty good. Then they look at our film again. Then they start thinking how P5s don’t lose to G5’s twice in a row. 

CSU does have a pretty good passing game. Preston Williams is a former 5* and killed us with some insane catches. Their QB was at Washington and almost transferred to UCLA.

The thing that's pretty pathetic is that we only scored 27 on their awful defense. And we didn't allow a TD in the first half but let them score 25 unanswered points in the second half...not sure how that happens. 

8 minutes ago, Hogfan14 said:

CSU does have a pretty good passing game. Preston Williams is a former 5* and killed us with some insane catches. Their QB was at Washington and almost transferred to UCLA.

The thing that's pretty pathetic is that we only scored 27 on their awful defense. And we didn't allow a TD in the first half but let them score 25 unanswered points in the second half...not sure how that happens. 

You ain't seen nuthin yet.

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Hogfan14 said:

Y'all were rolling with your run game.  Not sure why Morris got off that train.