Condensed Arkansas Game

Cerebus

Next week comes down to our rush defense vs their pass defense.  

Their RB Whaley could be a problem. Not sure why they didn't keep feeding him the ball.  Their QB is nothing special and their kicker is awful.  Their run defense looks good.  Mason should light up their secondary but we are going to need run the ball as well.

What I saw worries me.  They were killing csu, held them to under 100 yards at the half, averaged over six yards a run, had an 18 point lead late in the third.

Then for some reason they decide to stop running.  It would be like a Dickey era team decided to switch to the run and shoot in the middle of a game.  Then when CSU starts climbing back, the refuse to go back to the run.

There is no way they make that mistake again. We'll probably be able to move the ball against them, but I bet they don't stop running all game.

41 minutes ago, Cerebus said:

What I saw worries me.  They were killing csu, held them to under 100 yards at the half, averaged over six yards a run, had an 18 point lead late in the third.

Then for some reason they decide to stop running.  It would be like a Dickey era team decided to switch to the run and shoot in the middle of a game.  Then when CSU starts climbing back, the refuse to go back to the run.

There is no way they make that mistake again. We'll probably be able to move the ball against them, but I bet they don't stop running all game.

I agree.

1 hour ago, Talon90 said:

Next week comes down to our rush defense vs their pass defense.  

Their RB Whaley could be a problem. Not sure why they didn't keep feeding him the ball.  Their QB is nothing special and their kicker is awful.  Their run defense looks good.  Mason should light up their secondary but we are going to need run the ball as well.

You guys are just a better football team right now.  If you guys don’t let the crowd etc get to you, y’all should win handily.  We’re just not that good right now and y’all are pretty salty.  

29 minutes ago, PokeyPig said:

You guys are just a better football team right now.  If you guys don’t let the crowd etc get to you, y’all should win handily.  We’re just not that good right now and y’all are pretty salty.  

We are good, and our defense is much improved. Even against bad teams last year we were an absolute swinging gate. We won like 6 games by less than a touchdown and averaged like... 37 points while averaging giving up 35. Players like Singletary for FAU absolutely decimated us.

While the jury is still out, that's why you're seeing a lot of cautious optimism in our fan base. It's a big game, it would mean a lot to our fan base. But North Texas fans, especially the ones who frequent this board have seen and survived some ugly days. It does make us incredibly cautious, and hopefully gracious in victory (Unless you are SMU or UTSA). Most of us think we are good enough to win this game, but a whole lot of things need to go right. You still have a team with a lot of talent, and now, probably have their hair on fire.

• Lovely Take 1

27 minutes ago, Caw Caw said:

We are good, and our defense is much improved. Even against bad teams last year we were an absolute swinging gate. We won like 6 games by less than a touchdown and averaged like... 37 points while averaging giving up 35. Players like Singletary for FAU absolutely decimated us.

While the jury is still out, that's why you're seeing a lot of cautious optimism in our fan base. It's a big game, it would mean a lot to our fan base. But North Texas fans, especially the ones who frequent this board have seen and survived some ugly days. It does make us incredibly cautious, and hopefully gracious in victory (Unless you are SMU or UTSA). Most of us think we are good enough to win this game, but a whole lot of things need to go right. You still have a team with a lot of talent, and now, probably have their hair on fire.

Well, caution is always good.  If Geenlaw plays for us it will definitely help, but we’re just awful on defense and CS has a horrendous run defense which made our run attack look great.  It didn’t look so hot against EIU.  

6 hours ago, Cerebus said:

Whaley averaged 6.3 on 26 carries.

Boyd averaged 9.3 on 7 carries.

Once they had the 8 point lead the ball should have never been placed in the air.

Rick

• Upvote 1

Colorado st is a bad team. Ark had had offensive line problems dating back to last year. 

They had trouble with Coastal Carolina last season, and their run game struggled against E Illinois. 

Both opponents have been able to throw the ball on them. I’m getting more confident with each new morsel of knowledge  

• Upvote 2