Attendance?

shootermcgavin44

6 minutes ago, meangreenlax said:

Why would the UNT System want to acquire TWU? You would think they would be more interested in enlarging the system's footprint geographically (like the Frisco and McKinney locations), rather than creating duplication in Denton.

2 words:   Nursing School.   
Also, as I was saying, it would unite the city of Denton in support of 1 University.
I also agree with expanding the footprint, so a school like Midwestern St. in Wichita Falls should be on the radar as well.

• Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 1

7 hours ago, SteaminWillieBeamin said:

I went to a birthday party with my son Sunday and ran into a fellow dad that I sometimes shoot sports talk with. I said that I spent my football capital spending all day at a football game Saturday and would not be watching the cowboys - here's how it played out:

"Mean Green, right""

"Yep..."

"I think I heard they are good this year."

"So far so good... We play Arkansas next week, so we will see."

"What? You guys have to play Arkansas, they aren't at the same level of college football. UNT isn't div i, right?"

"We are both div 1."

"But you guys don't play many div 1 teams, right? "

---------------------------------------------------------------

So there you have it folks. We "good", but not "good, good", but div 1aa good. 

Our level of competition matters. I  know, just win. I think that too. But we can have a more nuanced feeling about these types of games.I hope they stop.. no more HBU, IWU, Liberty, Lamar.. 

I hate that.. I talked with an Aggie alumni at my work the other day. Basically thought we were Div. 2.. Granted, she probably doesn't know there is a difference between a P5 and G5 anyways.

It's whatever, at least we are known and word is getting out that we're winning. Word getting out that we beat Arkansas will be good, even if Arkjy is in a slump.

39 minutes ago, GreenTexan13 said:

I hate that.. I talked with an Aggie alumni at my work the other day. Basically thought we were Div. 2.. Granted, she probably doesn't know there is a difference between a P5 and G5 anyways.

It's whatever, at least we are known and word is getting out that we're winning. Word getting out that we beat Arkansas will be good, even if Arkjy is in a slump.

I didn't know there is a difference. Last I checked, that is media propaganda in the attempt to protect money. It's also no more than 5 or 6 years aged. 

Talking heads, of which are almost exclusively 'P5' products, grabbed hold of it and ran with it. 

We are div 1 that have been shunned by rich lobbyist alum and media alike to pocket millions. Like Barry Switzer said about TCU, "It was a huge mistake to let them in the Big12 with their geographic location." 

Edited by NorthTexasWeLove
  • Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

2 words:   Nursing School.   
Also, as I was saying, it would unite the city of Denton in support of 1 University.
I also agree with expanding the footprint, so a school like Midwestern St. in Wichita Falls should be on the radar as well.

They also have a good kinesiology program. 

• Upvote 1

I can't imagine a case where a loss is better than a win regardless of the opponent. You're not going to find a coach will to say that! A win is always better than a loss. 

We are 2-0 for the first time since 94. No one is saying that doesn't count since one of those wins was Incarnate Word. Folks who know football like DCTC are ranking us second in the state this week. Yes, they list us over three Big XII schools! 

Not sure where the "Denton can't support NT as that would show favoritism over TWU" come from either. The City Council, the Chamber and the County government have all shown some positive support for NT in the last few years. Are the total supporters all the time? No, but that doesn't happen anywhere - not Ft Worth, not Austin, not Lubbock, not Norman. There are always going to be some conflicts of interest between cities and their universities as the two have different goals and purposes. That doesn't mean they can't work together more often than not.

We need to win with more consistency from the beginning of each season and our support by everyone will improve. 

If we pull off a win at Arkansas this week, it would be huge. And the stars are aligning for us to have the best chance of doing this in decades! 

• Upvote 1

On ‎9‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 9:00 AM, NorthTexasWeLove said:

That's because casual fans only see what the media tells them to see. 

Even a ton of diehard fans of blue blood programs only see what the media wants them to see. To the 'elite' programs' ignorant fans, us and Northeastern State are literally on the same playing level. A lot of my non Mean Green friends are fans of the elites, and most of them couldn't tell you what conference Appy State, San Jose, Toledo, or UH are in. They are oblivious outside of their bubble. 

We are in this conundrum because the media. Just like political media, sports media reigns no difference. They push their most profitable agenda at all times, and at all cost. 

In time, a more profitable approach would be to push the good teams, regardless of conference affiliation. Boost up, year to year, the good and competitive teams. So quit trying to prop up Texas in the preseason polls every year for the sake of the guaranteed dollar. Instead, make new dollars with new clientele. Market Boise, UCF, USF, SDSU, UNT, UH, LaTech a 1/4 of what they market UT, OU, Ohio St, Bama, etc. And a new fan base grows exponentially 

https://www.forbes.com/sites/chrissmith/2018/09/11/college-footballs-most-valuable-teams/#6ccb74dc6c64

This is your answer...follow the money and the eyeballs. 

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, greenminer said:

Years ago I read an article that said over 95% of ESPN’s college football traffic navigated to the P5 schools. It’s an uphill battle for us

Even worse, a survey from about 5 years ago showed that the college football media members spent no more than 5% of their time covering anyone not in the Power 5. The demand just isn’t there from the fan bases of non Power teams to get the coverage that the NFL-Lite programs get. It’s nothing new, but it exacerbates what schools in the G5 face when compared to their P5 brethren. 

On 9/10/2018 at 8:52 AM, TheColonyEagle said:

So I'm curious...(I'm assuming you went to UNT given your name)

What will it take to take you from a "casual" fan to a "die hard" fan?

(I'm actually curious about this answer from all "casual" fans)

A little background to set context:  I was there from 87 - 94 (RIP NTSU).  I was in the Green Brigade, later in Talons, and even was in the Eppy costume a few times.  I remember being at football games where the crowd may have been a couple hundred folks.  I did the road trips to Armpit, Louisiana and to the BIG schools.

Then I graduated (again).  Life came along, as well as a couple of wives (not at the same time) and a career and all that jazz.  Do you know how the big schools keep their alumni base charged up?  They do so via televised sports.  The ex-students may be 600 miles away, but they can spend 2 hours on a Saturday and feel like they are still part of the experience.  North Texas?  Not so much.  In fact, UNT has been essentially non-existent on big media for decades.

There's a ton of other things that take up time for adults.  Going to a game takes much of the day if you do it right.  The school needs to be a lot higher profile to get folks invested enough to go to the games.  I'm impressed by the people on this board, because they are so invested.  But to reach the other 216,000+ alumni claimed by UNT, the team has to be visible on the local channels -every- Saturday, people have to -know- that the game is on, and the team has to be competitive.  Most importantly, we need to be playing teams that Alumni have heard of.  Kansas may be terrible, but at least they're a name.  Liberty?  Incarnate Word?  Nope.

On a very positive note, the game day experience was amazing compared to the old days.  Actual tailgating fans, the tent city with groups, and the greek letter row was a nice change (though the pledge boys doing the Tongan war dance was just painful).  Looks like the push-up cowboys are gone.  Apogee was a great environment.  The only negative was the Green Brigade looking like State Farm phone support.  Those guys should be in uniform.

I don't know if that was a sufficient answer.  Bottom line, for alumni to become basic fans, the game needs to be easily accessible so people can be excited about being Eagles.  For basic fans to become casual fans, they need to get to a game.  That game experience goes a long way toward "real fan".

• Upvote 2
  • Lovely Take 2
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, untjim1995 said:

Even worse, a survey from about 5 years ago showed that the college football media members spent no more than 5% of their time covering anyone not in the Power 5. The demand just isn’t there from the fan bases of non Power teams to get the coverage that the NFL-Lite programs get. It’s nothing new, but it exacerbates what schools in the G5 face when compared to their P5 brethren. 

The demand isn't there because the people that control the money doesn't want it to be there. If ESPN and other media outlets started to cover the successful programs in the 'G5" just a slither of what they cover the 'P5" teams then the interest would be there in time. But they don't, and they won't. The 'P5' doesn't want to accidentally lose interest or money. These same media outlets only cover the same 20 teams and that is why the same 20 teams are always in the top 25,  have the best attendance, facilities, donors, teams, etc. etc. etc. etc. Looking at the CFB playoff 'contenders' each year has turned into a beat down. It's literally ALWAYS the same 10 teams. Coincidence? No. It's a vicious cycle that keeps happening and the gutless 'P5' programs that don't really have a seat at the table don't say a word in fear of losing that conference affiliation money. And the G5 is spineless and they just take their scraps that are thrown at them. And the 90 programs that are truly on the outside looking in need to grow a pair and go after the NCAA, the media, and the lobbyists that have jobs solely responsible of keeping the money exactly where at its by any means. In short, it's bullshit. 

North Texas may want to study what Brigham Young U is doing with their athletic program.  Their fans do not want in the G5 Mountain West Conference.  They are holding out to try to get to the level where there is TV revenue & still a chance to have a national presence.  It would be a gutsy call for North Texas to do what BYU alums want for their school, but what the hell do we have to lose?  Membership in the far flung Conference USA?  

Just speculating, that's all. 

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
Grammar Issues on my part
  • Downvote 1

5 minutes ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

The demand isn't there because the people that control the money doesn't want it to be there. If ESPN and other media outlets started to cover the successful programs in the 'G5" just a slither of what they cover the 'P5" teams then the interest would be there in time. But they don't, and they won't. The 'P5' doesn't want to accidentally lose interest or money. These same media outlets only cover the same 20 teams and that is why the same 20 teams are always in the top 25,  have the best attendance, facilities, donors, teams, etc. etc. etc. etc. Looking at the CFB playoff 'contenders' each year has turned into a beat down. It's literally ALWAYS the same 10 teams. Coincidence? No. It's a vicious cycle that keeps happening and the gutless 'P5' programs that don't really have a seat at the table don't say a word in fear of losing that conference affiliation money. And the G5 is spineless and they just take their scraps that are thrown at them. And the 90 programs that are truly on the outside looking in need to grow a pair and go after the NCAA, the media, and the lobbyists that have jobs solely responsible of keeping the money exactly where at its by any means. In short, it's bullshit. 

Get in the top 25.
UCF last year, Boise for the past decade+, etc...  all got more exposure than P5 teams like Syracuse/Wake Forest/Purdue/OregonSt/et al losing P5 schools.

• Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 1

1 minute ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

The demand isn't there because the people that control the money doesn't want it to be there. If ESPN and other media outlets started to cover the successful programs in the 'G5" just a slither of what they cover the 'P5" teams then the interest would be there in time. But they don't, and they won't. The 'P5' doesn't want to accidentally lose interest or money. These same media outlets only cover the same 20 teams and that is why the same 20 teams are always in the top 25,  have the best attendance, facilities, donors, teams, etc. etc. etc. etc. Looking at the CFB playoff 'contenders' each year has turned into a beat down. It's literally ALWAYS the same 10 teams. Coincidence? No. It's a vicious cycle that keeps happening and the gutless 'P5' programs that don't really have a seat at the table don't say a word in fear of losing that conference affiliation money. And the G5 is spineless and they just take their scraps that are thrown at them. And the 90 programs that are truly on the outside looking in need to grow a pair and go after the NCAA, the media, and the lobbyists that have jobs solely responsible of keeping the money exactly where at its by any means. Inshort, it's bullshit. 

Well said.

UNT cant go independent, look at MNSU and Liberty they are playing twice this year.  When conference games start the schedule is pretty well filled up.  We could get four games easy but after that I am not sure.  I think we need to look ahead next go around of conference changes.  Look to the big eight and see if there is any interest.  If OK, Tex go to a new conference we will need to talk to schools that make more geological sense.

13 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Get in the top 25.
UCF last year, Boise for the past decade+, etc...  all got more exposure than P5 teams like Syracuse/Wake Forest/Purdue/OregonSt/et al losing P5 schools.

Yrah, and Boise's exposure has set them apart. We are sort of starting to see the same thing at UCF. Which is great, good for them. 

But...the Toledo's, SDSU'S, NIU in their multi year heyday, Marshall, LaTech, Fresno, even USF and UH, MTSU, etc. etc. all have pretty strong programs either currently or recently. But they get just about 0 exposure. Unless you're skulling your conference and making it to the NY6 bowl, you're irrelevant and get no exposure. And until people in the right places push the envelope it will never change.

And I'm with plum, set a year to go Indy to give us time to build a respectable schedule for 3 or 4 running years and bolt. The peanuts being thrown to CUSA is not worth the fact that we are solidifying ourselves in irrelevance. Be bold. 

7 minutes ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

Yrah, and Boise's exposure has set them apart. We are sort of starting to see the same thing at UCF. Which is great, good for them. 

But...the Toledo's, SDSU'S, NIU in their multi year heyday, Marshall, LaTech, Fresno, even USF and UH, MTSU, etc. etc. all have pretty strong programs either currently or recently. But they get just about 0 exposure. Unless you're skulling your conference and making it to the NY6 bowl, you're irrelevant and get no exposure. And until people in the right places push the envelope it will never change.

And I'm with plum, set a year to go Indy to give us time to build a respectable schedule for 3 or 4 running years and bolt. The peanuts being thrown to CUSA is not worth the fact that we are solidifying ourselves in irrelevance. Be bold. 

UH is getting a ton of national exposure currently, granted, most of it is due to their Top5 NFL draft pick Defensive Lineman.   But I think Mason Fine leading the NCAA in passing is a pretty big story too...   just gotta do it against someone the rest of the country cares about... like Arkansas.

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, TripleGrad said:

Do you know how the big schools keep their alumni base charged up?  They do so via televised sports.  The ex-students may be 600 miles away, but they can spend 2 hours on a Saturday and feel like they are still part of the experience. 

Dr. Pohl understood this, and it seems Dr. Smatresk does as well.  No doubt why we had success under their leadership.  

13 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

UH is getting a ton of national exposure currently, granted, most of it is due to their Top5 NFL draft pick Defensive Lineman.   But I think Mason Fine leading the NCAA in passing is a pretty big story too...   just gotta do it against someone the rest of the country cares about... like Arkansas.

Sone highlight type exposure at most. SEC network will briefly hit on the game and then move along. Sat night I was watching a game on SECN and had no idea Arky had lost until a friend of mine texted me. They will name the score and then bury it. We could go undefeated this year and end up playing Wyoming in the New Mexico bowl. We could go 8-4 and end up playing Wyoming in the New Mexico bowl. That's a systematic problem that needs serious addressing. 

Edited by NorthTexasWeLove