DRC: five thoughts on UNT's win over Incarnate Word

Brett Vito

The  running game has got to get better.  I can not believe that ICW was selling out for the run when Fine is putting up these numbers.  What is going on with the long break away runs this season against us?  What is our longest run this year?  Was Wilson just that good last year or has something changed?

Edited by southsideguy
  • Upvote 2
  • Sad 1

My thoughts:

1.  NT is still struggling with the running game

2.  Wyche looked like the best of the rbs

3  Hedlund remains perfert

4.  Receivers were just off at the first of the game,  much better as game progressed

5.  ICW played tough although totally out-manned

6.  Nice to have the greatest QB in NT history

7.  Can't remember a game were NT played 4 QB's

8.  Those two long runs by ICW were concerning

9.  Thanks to the weather for being as forecasted

10,  Score could have been a lot more lopsided, Littrell was merciful 

• Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 1

1 hour ago, southsideguy said:

The  running game has got to get better.  I can not believe that ICW was selling out for the run when Fine is putting up these numbers.  What is going on with the long break away runs this season against us?  What is our longest run this year?  Was Wilson just that good last year or has something changed?

An admitted novice, but on some runs when it becomes a quagmire in the middle over our center, old #3 used to take a quick 180 to the right (or left) & break for some long runs.  

Some of our young RB’s seem to want to find a yard or 2 as they stay in the quagmire. 

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 1

Against an FCS team like UIW the penetration was still there from their defensive line.  Against them our backs could use natural ability to eke out 2-3 yards each carry.  Against UIW Mason could run around back there and turn sacks into QB runs, throwaways or completions when the coverage had to break down.  

Against Arkansas, when they get penetration, you are looking at 2nd and 13-18...and hits on your QB.  The fact that your top two runners (Torrey and Smith) were averaging 2.8 and 3.0 yards a carry against Incarnate Word should give people far more pause than it currently is.  

IF Mason can stare down the pass rush and make them pay, IF we can remain healthy across the board, IF we can avoid giving up huge runs up the middle (like we did twice last night for TD’s) and IF we avoid turnovers...then we may win.

• Upvote 2

"Games against SEC teams haven't gone well historically for UNT.

And that might be a bit of an understatement. The Mean Green are just 3-36 all-time against schools from what is widely considered the best league in the land.

UNT fell at Florida 32-0 in 2016."

Just in case you didn't know.

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick
  • Lovely Take 1

14 minutes ago, FirefightnRick said:

"Games against SEC teams haven't gone well historically for UNT.

And that might be a bit of an understatement. The Mean Green are just 3-36 all-time against schools from what is widely considered the best league in the land.

UNT fell at Florida 32-0 in 2016."

Just in case you didn't know.

Rick

Whoa...Hold on just a darn minute here. Are you saying, 

"Games against SEC teams haven't gone well historically for UNT.And that might be a bit of an understatement. The Mean Green are just 3-36 all-time against schools from what is widely considered the best league in the land.

UNT fell at Florida 32-0 in 2016?"

Holy Mother of Got-O-Mity!

1. Running game is still a concern - expect Ark to drop back and cover and force us to prove we can run effectively.

2. Gardner so far looks like he has taken his game to the next level.

3. Taylor Robinson is off to a slow start. Rarely heard his name called in two games. 

4. Torrey looks to be the best RB out there and will continue to get more time as his pass protection improves.

5. Defensive line is playing pretty well (although admittedly against mediocre competition). A big SEC O-line will be a real test, but our size and talent is better than we have seen in years, especially with the ability to keep Young on the end. 

6. Really happy for Hedlund.

7. A couple of bad drops by our WRs, but damn they are talented.

8. Darden was better in punt returns this week.

9. I still wish Fine had played only the first half.

10. CBs played well, other than the one double move. Several incomplete passes due to blanket coverage and the two picks were great. 

11 hours ago, UNTcrazy727 said:

How so? We struggled to run against a poor FCS team. 

My point was we lost two key starters in that game in the oline.  Our brand new center was Preston and he did a decent job snapping the ball.  No, they weren't perfect as a unit and you are right we did not always get the push one would have expected against this caliber opponent.  There is plenty of room for improvement.

Some of these comments and over analysis are why I hate playing these games.  We won 56-14 for goodness sake and it could have been by way more.   I just don't think you can take much from games like this.

12 hours ago, PlummMeanGreen said:

An admitted novice, but on some runs when it becomes a quagmire in the middle over our center, old #3 used to take a quick 180 to the right (or left) & break for some long runs.  

Some of our young RB’s seem to want to find a yard or 2 as they stay in the quagmire. 

Been saying the same thing. I have to say that I'm not overly impressed with the vision they are showing. The difference between Wilson and Dunbar and these guys is not speed near as much as it is the ability to sniff out a whole or an opportunity. For the record also an admitted novice.