UIW's North Texas Preview

Cerebus

Football heads to North Texas

Freshman QB Jon Copeland made his first start on Sept. 1 at New Mexico.
The Argyle, Texas, native completed 17 of 36 passes for 328 yards.

---

Ra'Quanne Dickens broke the program record for the longest rush from scrimmage when he scampered 90 yards down the field for a touchdown. He led UIW with 110 rushing yards.

---

Saturday's game in Apogee Stadium has the potential to be the second-largest crowd the UIW football program has competed in front of in its 10-year history. If more than 22,845 spectators attend, it will surpass the number who saw the Cardinals play UTEP in 2015.

---

HEAD COACH: DEEP TEXAS TIES
UIW's new head coach, Eric Morris, comes to UIW from Texas Tech and has deep Texas ties. He played at Tech before spending five years as its offensive coordinator, and he plans to bring the same exciting style of offense to Benson Stadium. He was also a graduate assistant under University of Houston head coach Kevin Sumlin, who later went on to coach at Texas A&M. Additionally, Morris coached at Washington State under former Texas Tech head coach Mike Leach.

I've been following Incarnate Word since they started a decade ago (at the time the only team in San Antonio). The program is good, but was originally kind of a vanity project for a particular alumnus who wanted to bring college football to SA since the NFL is never going. UTSA kinda screwed up that plan, but it's still got an ok program, and I really liked the Morris hire.

A few more years, and this would be a job interview for him.

• Upvote 1
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, MEANGREENCOACH2 said:

Copeland has the "it factor" I coached him in his middle school and early high school days.  Very Johnny Manziel type minus the off field of course lol.  Great family I hope his crew makes it out to the game this Saturday in BUNCHES

I am sure Copeland is a nice guy and comes from a great family.  But on Saturday night Copeland is the enemy and we will treat him as such.  UNT will do everything they can to pound him into the ground, break up his pass plays and bury him with our pass rush.  I predict English will have his way with young Mr. Copeland.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Legend500 said:

I've been following Incarnate Word since they started a decade ago (at the time the only team in San Antonio). The program is good, but was originally kind of a vanity project for a particular alumnus who wanted to bring college football to SA since the NFL is never going. UTSA kinda screwed up that plan, but it's still got an ok program, and I really liked the Morris hire.

A few more years, and this would be a job interview for him.

I have a soft spot for Incarnate Word, my dad designed a lot of their distance learning classrooms for their pharmacy school, I have a fair bit of friends who attended, and my mom worked at the Christus Santa Rosa hospital for 20 years.  The Christus health system is run by the Sisters of Charity. Red McCombs being attached to the school is less than great though.

Edited by SAGreenFan
  • Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 1

18 hours ago, SAGreenFan said:

I have a soft spot for Incarnate Word, my dad designed a lot of their distance learning classrooms for their pharmacy school, I have a fair bit of friends who attended, and my mom worked at the Christus Santa Rosa hospital for 20 years.  The Christus health system is run by the Sisters of Charity. Red McCombs being attached to the school is less than great though.

I'm really conflicted. I've plenty of friends who did their undergrad there before coming over to St. Mary's for law, and I think that Jim's is slightly cleaner than the rest but not as good as the one off Huebner. Still, it's the St. Mary's v. Incarnate Word rivalry... so I'm hyped.

15 minutes ago, Legend500 said:

I'm really conflicted. I've plenty of friends who did their undergrad there before coming over to St. Mary's for law, and I think that Jim's is slightly cleaner than the rest but not as good as the one off Huebner. Still, it's the St. Mary's v. Incarnate Word rivalry... so I'm hyped.

God I miss Jim's, Especially the one on Huebner.

• Sad 1

• 2 years later...