Razorback Alum and Fan here... AMA

PokeyPig

You weren’t the only one to come away impressed! That was probably my 30th game and there’s never really been an atmosphere like that! It’s an exciting time in Denton right now! Can’t wait to be in Fayetteville for the game.

From what I can tell Guyton and RBJ will go for 100 yards a week as long as LB’s can’t play in pass coverage. How did your boys look there?

• Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Thanks 1

Linebacker pass coverage is actually one of our defenses few strengths.  We have two defensive standouts and one of them is LB Dre Greenlaw.  He's a senior now and started as a Freshman in the SEC.  He's all over the place, but left early with a high ankle sprain against EIU.  So, there's some concern about his health.  The other defensive standout is DL McTelvin Agim.

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, PokeyPig said:

First, the reason I'm here.  You guys have a more than legit shot at beating us.  I've lived in the Denton area for over 15 years and have always supported/pulled for North Texas, but Saturday was the first game I'd ever been to in person.  I came away more than impressed.  I've seen a lot of college football in my life and UNT passes the eyeball test for sure.

Our defense is HIGHLY suspect and our offensive line was less than impressive against EIU in regards to the run game.  EIU moved the ball well against us, but couldn't hold on to the ball and missed a couple easy field goals early.  Some of the turnovers we caused, but most were just sloppy play on EIU's part.  In short, they left a bunch of points on the table.

In general, after we switched QB's our offense looked pretty good without dipping very deep in the play book. 

In short, I see a high scoring game that can go either way depending on turnovers, etc.  

Also, in general Arkansas has great fans and anyone going to the game can expect to be treated well.  Of course, there are always @holes anywhere you go but they're the  exception, not the rule.  

Thanks for the kind words! Last Saturday was indeed special!

I'm making the trip up to Fayetteville next week with a few friends...got any recommendations on restaurants/bars to check out?

• Upvote 3

5 minutes ago, UNTcrazy727 said:

Thanks for the kind words! Last Saturday was indeed special!

I'm making the trip up to Fayetteville next week with a few friends...got any recommendations on restaurants/bars to check out?

Just about anything on Dickson Street and you can't go wrong, great atmosphere.  Doe's Eat Place is awesome, Hog Haus Brewing Co., Farrell's... Really hard to mess it up.  Dickson is walking distance from the stadium, it's a good walk mind you, but better that sitting in your car and waiting for traffic then trying to find somewhere after the game.   

• Upvote 3

32 minutes ago, PokeyPig said:

Also, in general Arkansas has great fans and anyone going to the game can expect to be treated well.  Of course, there are always @holes anywhere you go but they're the  exception, not the rule.  

I think regardless of the outcome, I'm going to avoid Dickson St. while dressed in my greens. Any other bar spots to check out post-game?

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 2

5 minutes ago, Christopher Walker said:

I think regardless of the outcome, I'm going to avoid Dickson St. while dressed in my greens. Any other bar spots to check out post-game?

Seriously, the only time I've ever seen an issue the person was wearing burnt orange or purple and gold, and being a jerk.  You should be fine in your greens.  If you lose, expect a little good hearted ribbing.  If you lose and it's close, expect a lot of "we got lucky's", and if you win and aren't being a jerk, you'll get a lot of "nice game's".  

I can really only speak to Dickson St., that's where I go.  Things change so fast, and there's so much new up there.  I only make it back a couple times a year and I always go to Dickson for nostalgia reasons.  Also, I usually hit AQ Chicken House for some over the coals chicken.  Still amazing. 

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 2

Thanks @PokeyPig!

Going to the game with my family to meet up with my sister (who is a senior at U of A) to see this game. My brother who is an alumni at Arkansas, said that he's a bit concerned for Arky after seeing some of our game against SMUt. It will be a good, game. I'll be wearing green in a sea of red that saturday lol. Not the first time I've been to y'alls stadium, so I know what to expect!

Also on Dixon, I liked going to the Pub (has a hotel above/near it I think?), do you know the name of that place? I'd like to go there again after the game if it is still there. 

Edited by GreenTexan13
  • Upvote 3

7 minutes ago, GreenTexan13 said:

Thanks PokeyPig!

Going to with my family to meet up with my sister (who is a senior at U of A) to see this game. My brother who is an alumni at Arkansas, said that he's a bit concerned for Arky after seeing some of our game against SMUt. It will be a good, game. I'll be wearing green in a sea of red that saturday lol. Not the first time I've been to y'alls stadium, so I know what to expect!

I'm jealous, wish I was going!  I may try and go last minute if I can work it out.  Wife and I started a business that makes it difficult to get away for the weekend, but I may see what I can do and still be welcomed back home afterwards.  🙂

• Upvote 2
  • Lovely Take 1

2 hours ago, PokeyPig said:

First, the reason I'm here.  You guys have a more than legit shot at beating us.  I've lived in the Denton area for over 15 years and have always supported/pulled for North Texas, but Saturday was the first game I'd ever been to in person.  I came away more than impressed.  I've seen a lot of college football in my life and UNT passes the eyeball test for sure.

Our defense is HIGHLY suspect and our offensive line was less than impressive against EIU in regards to the run game.  EIU moved the ball well against us, but couldn't hold on to the ball and missed a couple easy field goals early.  Some of the turnovers we caused, but most were just sloppy play on EIU's part.  In short, they left a bunch of points on the table.

In general, after we switched QB's our offense looked pretty good without dipping very deep in the play book. 

In short, I see a high scoring game that can go either way depending on turnovers, etc.  

Really appreciate the kind words and info.  Fayetteville is an awesome town and UA has some great traditions.  Had some good times there.  Will be pulling for the Hogs other than when we play them.

18 minutes ago, GreenTexan13 said:

Thanks @PokeyPig!

Going to the game with my family to meet up with my sister (who is a senior at U of A) to see this game. My brother who is an alumni at Arkansas, said that he's a bit concerned for Arky after seeing some of our game against SMUt. It will be a good, game. I'll be wearing green in a sea of red that saturday lol. Not the first time I've been to y'alls stadium, so I know what to expect!

Also on Dixon, I liked going to the Pub (has a hotel above/near it I think?), do you know the name of that place? I'd like to go there again after the game if it is still there. 

I think you're talking about The Dickson Street Pub under The Dickson Street Inn.

http://www.dicksonstreetpub.com

• Lovely Take 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Christopher Walker said:

Nah, Dickson ain't that bad. You'll be treated well. But knowing your tendencies and preferences (at least from our sparing internet interaction), you would like Pinpoint, the new pinball themed bar near the square. It's not terribly far from Dickson and has a markedly different crowd. Very cool place and reminds me a lot of Denton.

Edited by meangreenthirteen
  • Upvote 1

The last time I took myself to Dickson St after a game, Woodrow Wilson was there hanging out his friends on a Saturday night. He had left UNT and was playing at Central Ark maybe? Anyhow - small world running into the fan favorite who single handedly beat SMU.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, meangreenthirteen said:

Nah, Dickson ain't that bad. You'll be treated well. But knowing your tendencies and preferences (at least from our sparing internet interaction), you would like Pinpoint, the new pinball themed bar near the square. It's not terribly far from Dickson and has a markedly different crowd. Very cool place and reminds me a lot of Denton.

did you just call Christopher a hipster?

2 hours ago, PokeyPig said:

Seriously, the only time I've ever seen an issue the person was wearing burnt orange or purple and gold, and being a jerk.  You should be fine in your greens.  If you lose, expect a little good hearted ribbing.  If you lose and it's close, expect a lot of "we got lucky's", and if you win and aren't being a jerk, you'll get a lot of "nice game's".  

I can really only speak to Dickson St., that's where I go.  Things change so fast, and there's so much new up there.  I only make it back a couple times a year and I always go to Dickson for nostalgia reasons.  Also, I usually hit AQ Chicken House for some over the coals chicken.  Still amazing. 

my folks live in NW Arkansas and i finished high school up their so ill be back in the area for this game, and i hit up AQ chicken every time i am there. Easily the best chicken i have ever had! 

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, meangreenthirteen said:

2 hours ago, All About UNT said:

did you just call Christopher a hipster?

Guilty as charged. I love me some pinball.

• Upvote 2
  • Confused 1

On 9/5/2018 at 10:58 AM, PokeyPig said:

Just about anything on Dickson Street and you can't go wrong, great atmosphere.  Doe's Eat Place is awesome, Hog Haus Brewing Co., Farrell's... Really hard to mess it up.  Dickson is walking distance from the stadium, it's a good walk mind you, but better that sitting in your car and waiting for traffic then trying to find somewhere after the game.   

I had a chance to visit Hog Haus Brewing Co recently when we were staying in a cabin near Eureka Springs for the Fourth of July.  Awesome food, but what was even more impressive was how knowledgeable the staff was about their beers.  

• Upvote 3