Shhhhhh! Don't Tell Fort Worth!

FirefightnRick

Driving in this morning I noticed WBAP's morning crew kept giving out all the Texas college scores but ours.  Brian Estridge, the voice of TCU football usually gives us a shout out.  Not this time. Even after poking on Twitter a couple of times, nothing.

Then I get to work and dig out the Sunday paper's college football section, nothing.  Asked another alumn to look at his at home, nothing.

On the Startlegram's on line version they have the post game press conference of the players. So they did send someone?  

So unless I'm missing it the paper here balked on our game.  If so what the hell are they afraid of?  

Rick

• Upvote 3
  • Lovely Take 1

2 hours ago, FirefightnRick said:

Driving in this morning I noticed WBAP's morning crew kept giving out all the Texas college scores but ours.  Brian Estridge, the voice of TCU football usually gives us a shout out.  Not this time. Even after poking on Twitter a couple of times, nothing.

Then I get to work and dig out the Sunday paper's college football section, nothing.  Asked another alumn to look at his at home, nothing.

On the Startlegram's on line version they have the post game press conference of the players. So they did send someone?  

So unless I'm missing it the paper here balked on our game.  If so what the hell are they afraid of?  

Rick

• Sad 1

Lots of the Star-Telegram's old sports staff write for SPTSpage.com.  -Good stuff if you enjoy DFW sports...

Here's the link to John Henry's story.  https://sptspage.com/like-a-tied-up-goat/

In part...

DENTON – Despite positioning on the evening’s program, most of the Apogee Stadium-record crowd of more than 29,500 came to see the undercard on Saturday night rather than the main event featuring scions of a North Texas favorite son.

While professional wrestlers Ross and Marshall Von Erich waited to take the stage, the Mean Green football team – in front of famed alum and former football player Kevin Von Erich – used everything but the iron claw to whip SMU into submission in a result practically no one saw coming … except perhaps the home team.

How many Oklahomans does it take to beat up the Mustangs 46-23 in a victory that was in no way actually that close?

Oklahoman Mason Fine, the North Texas quarterback, battered the SMU defense for a career-high 444 yards and three touchdowns on 40-of-50 passing.

His favorite target? Oklahoman Rico Bussey Jr., who had a career-high nine receptions for 109 yards.

Their coach? Oklahoman Seth Littrell, who beat one of his closest friends, Sonny Dykes, the new head coach of SMU, the alma mater of the one who built the Von Erich empire, patriarch Fritz Von Erich.

So, the answer would appear to be three Oklahomans, but that’s only if you don’t count a Mean Green defense that, well, to borrow a phrase made famous by Dykes’ inventive-humorist-coaching father, whipped the Mustangs like a tied-up goat.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, HoustonEagle said:

People still read print? 

I still take the DMN Sunday print edition but only because it's such a cheap add on to the digital edition. It's less than 75 cents a week if you have the digital edition already. I like to give my 4-year-old son the comics and print works a LOT better for that. 

• Upvote 1

39 minutes ago, 817Fan said:

Lots of the Star-Telegram's old sports staff write for SPTSpage.com.  -Good stuff if you enjoy DFW sports...

Here's the link to John Henry's story.  https://sptspage.com/like-a-tied-up-goat/

In part...

DENTON – Despite positioning on the evening’s program, most of the Apogee Stadium-record crowd of more than 29,500 came to see the undercard on Saturday night rather than the main event featuring scions of a North Texas favorite son.

While professional wrestlers Ross and Marshall Von Erich waited to take the stage, the Mean Green football team – in front of famed alum and former football player Kevin Von Erich – used everything but the iron claw to whip SMU into submission in a result practically no one saw coming … except perhaps the home team.

How many Oklahomans does it take to beat up the Mustangs 46-23 in a victory that was in no way actually that close?

Oklahoman Mason Fine, the North Texas quarterback, battered the SMU defense for a career-high 444 yards and three touchdowns on 40-of-50 passing.

His favorite target? Oklahoman Rico Bussey Jr., who had a career-high nine receptions for 109 yards.

Their coach? Oklahoman Seth Littrell, who beat one of his closest friends, Sonny Dykes, the new head coach of SMU, the alma mater of the one who built the Von Erich empire, patriarch Fritz Von Erich.

So, the answer would appear to be three Oklahomans, but that’s only if you don’t count a Mean Green defense that, well, to borrow a phrase made famous by Dykes’ inventive-humorist-coaching father, whipped the Mustangs like a tied-up goat.

Thanks.  John Henry is very good and always did us a good job.

Rick

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, drycreek said:

I AM DROPPING THE the star telegram---ONLY REASON I TAKE IT IS FOR SPORTS AND INFORMATION ABOUT UNT.   THEY OFFER NOTHING---SORRY PAPER

FFR, the question I have is how many actual butts in seats did TCU have against Southern U compared to our game with SMU?    You know if they had 25,000 at Amon Carter Stadium that number would be announced to be much larger.  TCU just getting pretty heady over there--it's just a private school thing in Texas.  Hope UT and OU don't bring them down to earth by leaving the Big 12. 👾

The Fort Worth Star-Telegram used to assign UNT a beat reporter thru the years, but major U.S. city newspapers have so streamlined their entire staffs due to the internet that their Sports Page makes a better liner for the parakeet cage than something you'd want to read anymore. 

I miss their entire FWST Sports Dept. staff when they were there because they were good and UNT didn't suffer for lack of coverage most the time.   Former DRC Sports Editor Art Chapman worked for the Startle'Gram until his health became an issue, but it was not in the Sports Section.  

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

--- I don't take offense  at sports and other write-ups that have to be done quickly (a quick deadline) ... But head-lines are sort of an exception..... What drives me nuts are ads and articles that had a long time to write and should have been checked.  About worst I remember was a private school ad that had bad grammar in the ad for enrollment. (more than one .. may have been misuse also ..  there for their etc.) --I was not impressed if that represented the quality of education there. . 

. At least they (Waco) printed something... FW-ST .. shame on you. .. Lots of UNT alums in the area ... and some likely take (maybe took) your paper. ---- Likely more UNT alums than TCU ones when you consider the size of those universities. 

Edited by SCREAMING EAGLE-66
  • Upvote 2

The focus should always be on the TV networks locally and the DFW sports radio scene. Newspapers are no different than any other website these days, unless you are over 65.

I don't know the answer, but I heard NBC5 did a good job covering us on Saturday. I would hope the others did as well. Don't have any idea, either, about coverage about this from The Ticket, The Fan, or ESPNRadio. If we didn't get anything decent from them after this beatdown of an old SWC favorite, then its only gonna happen if we beat Arkansas. 

• 3 weeks later...