Seth Littrell Rumors Mega Thread

Cerebus

4 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Littrell will have to go undefeated next season and crash the NY6 bowls, like what Fleck did at WMU, to be considered for the OU job if Riley left next year.  The interest in that gig will be through the roof, and Oklahoma will basically have their pick of anyone they want.   An alumnus that is coaching a very good (but not great) North Texas team just doesn't have enough impact for OU.

Which is why Kansas State makes no sense to me. Programs like OU don't hire a new coach every 3 years. Riley isn't gone yet and not every college coach wants to coach in the NFL, they're two completely different beasts. If Riley does leave, it might be SL's only shot at the job in a long time. He's better off making a run at a NY6 bowl with UNT using what he's built here than trying to have 1 strong season building KSU from scratch with a depleted roster if he wants a chance at the OU job in a year or two. If/when the OU job gets filled with somebody else, SL would probably leave for the next P5 spot that opens up since he wouldn't have to worry about OU opening up any time soon.

• Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, GMG_Dallas said:

Which is why Kansas State makes no sense to me. Programs like OU don't hire a new coach every 3 years. Riley isn't gone yet and not every college coach wants to coach in the NFL, they're two completely different beasts. If Riley does leave, it might be SL's only shot at the job in a long time. He's better off making a run at a NY6 bowl with UNT using what he's built here than trying to have 1 strong season building KSU from scratch with a depleted roster if he wants a chance at the OU job in a year or two. If/when the OU job gets filled with somebody else, SL would probably leave for the next P5 spot that opens up since he wouldn't have to worry about OU opening up any time soon.

I think OU would put more stock in an improved KSSt (say, going from 5-7 this year, to 7-5 or 8-4 next year) than they would over an 11-1 season at NT.

If Littrell thinks he has the tools to go 12-0 next year, he should probably stay.    However, if I'm Littrell, and I'm looking at replacing Ejiya, Garner, Young (...Novil can do this for the most part), Brooks & Hall on the defensive side of the ball... I'm nervous about my prospects of going 12-0.

• Upvote 1

Man, I don't know what to think about this anymore.  I do know I've spent a good chunk of time over the past few days reading 25+ pages of comments.  If this doesn't happen, I think there are a lot of people who should be tagged with "fake news" labels.  Sorry.  "Seth is gone -- I have it from a good source".  "He's gone in the next 24 hours... I know people who know people".  "The word I have on the street is he's gone ... book it".  Heck, we even decided Jimmy Sexton was making posts under an assumed fake profile.  And so it goes... 

But it does prompt me to ask what I'm doing wrong?  I've been a season ticket holder since 2003 and all I know is the esteemed Brett Vito when I had my one interview with him when winning a Regal Eagle bus trip raffle years ago.  So, other than that, nothing.  I need to start knowing people so I can start cryptic mysterious posts for people to take to the bank.  "The rooster crows at midnight...."

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 4
  • Ray 1

37 minutes ago, MEEN2018 said:

And he actually had a crazy amount of success as a recruiter. Mccarney still doesn’t know what the word recruiting means...

Dan built some great teams at Iowa St (great for Iowa St, that is).  I think he knows recruiting ... from the 1990's.  His first off season here he went in person to flip Lemon from Texas St and he became on of our best offensive lineman.  After that, I think age, his health, the death of this brother, outdated recruiting, the age of most of his assistants ... all of that played a part.  

• Upvote 1

One thing that I was thinking about, and I'm sorry if this was mentioned, but Seth's buyout is $2.1 mil this year.  I wonder if KSU doesn't want to pony up for him specifically.  He's only been a head coach three years.  That's not a lot of experience as a head coach, and he's never been one at a large program.  So if Seth wants $3mil+, that would be a $5mil+ expense for KSU for a coach with three years of head coaching experience.  Salaries are going up but that is a lot to invest.  They might have him penciled down at a firm $4 million, including the buyout, leaving Seth with around $2 million in salary, and he might find that unacceptable.  I know KSU can pony up more money, but the question is, do they want to?

Just thinking out loud mostly.

• Lovely Take 1

30 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

I think OU would put more stock in an improved KSSt (say, going from 5-7 this year, to 7-5 or 8-4 next year) than they would over an 11-1 season at NT.

Depends on who they beat but looking at their schedule next year you might be right. Problem is looking at their results this year, they could have easily finished with 8-9 wins. They lost to TCU by 1, Texas by 5, Iowa State by 4, and Baylor by 3. They were mostly competitive save for OU, West Virginia, and Mississippi State. If I'm OU's AD looking to hire the next sooner coach, a 2-3 win improvement may not be enough to open up the pocket book especially if there's more blowouts than the previous year. Now go 8-4, 9-4 with a bowl win, and wins over at least three of OU, Texas, Okie State, West Virginia, Mississippi State and that might be enough. Record isn't everything. Gotta beat the big guys.

Regarding 11-1 or 12-0 UNT next year, if he can't do that with the talent coming back on offense and the young guys coming up in a weak CUSA losing Stockstill after 12 years and UAB's middle aged starters he might never go to OU.

Edited by GMG_Dallas

I don't know if KSU is in negotiations with Seth or they are looking at other candidates. If they don't hire him and have just strung him along they better pray someone else in the Big 12 does not hire him.  I hope he is staying here for at least next year.  My other concern is the longer this is drawn out the more damages it does to UNT.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, GMG_Dallas said:

Don't compare that guy to Les Miles. Miles is one of the more prominent ccollege hadcoaches of the past 15 years and got his ring as a HC.

1 hour ago, MEEN2018 said:

And he actually had a crazy amount of success as a recruiter. Mccarney still doesn’t know what the word recruiting means...

I was more so referring to the ring comment. 

With that said, Les Miles has not had to recruit in the modern game. He helped bring along OSU some time ago which recruiting had to play an important role. Even then it wasn't in these times. Yes, he was at LSU and did well at LSU. But let's face it, at LSU, it recruits itself. Ed Orgeron will recruit well there. The guy after Ed will too and so forth and so on. It will be interesting to watch this KU saga unfold. I think he will get them competitive just by his philosophy of game control, physical D, etc. But that's where his success will end, at competitiveness, and I am not even sure what that even holds, 4-8 or 5-7 with only 2 blowout losses instead of 6? Maybe a bowl game after year 3 or 4 at 6-6? 

22 minutes ago, southsideguy said:

I don't know if KSU is in negotiations with Seth or they are looking at other candidates. If they don't hire him and have just strung him along they better pray someone else in the Big 12 does not hire him.  I hope he is staying here for at least next year.  My other concern is the longer this is drawn out the more damages it does to UNT.

I don't think there will be any other Big 12 openings this year, aside from OU if Riley were to go to the national felons league. If that were to happen, then I'd expect time to jump at that opening since it's his alma mater. 

1 minute ago, Rudy said:

I don't think there will be any other Big 12 openings this year, aside from OU if Riley were to go to the national felons league. If that were to happen, then I'd expect time to jump at that opening since it's his alma mater. 

I thought the OSU coach was on the hot seat?  Most likely it doesn't matter I don't know if Seth could coach at that school.  

59 minutes ago, southsideguy said:

What damage does this do to us?  There is very little news of the KSU hire outside of our two fan websites and a couple of no name morons on Twitter. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

I think we're doing a lot of fretting over nothing. I don't know if Seth is staying or going, but I don't think it matters in the long term to our program. The only potential downside is losing some of this years recruiting class. The upside is that we are now in position to make an even better hire. Neal made a great hire with Wren, and he at least had a huge impact on getting Seth here. I personally believe it was Neal that hired Seth, and not so much RV. Wren made a great hire with Grant. For the first time that I can remember we have competent pro athletics people in place at President, BOR, and AD. Regardless of what happens with Seth we will be more than fine and maybe even better.

No unscheduled flight or flight plans filed to Manhattan Regional or surrounding airport according to flight aware.  There was a commercial flight from DFW but that would have already hit the news if he was on the flight.

Edited by ipd054
  • Upvote 4

7 hours ago, Got5onIt said:

The goal is to get a P5 job and at least double your salary. Check marks on all those fronts for SL....

Which he will probably do after 4 or 5 full seasons as a coach at UNT.

Matt Wells was the head coach at Utah State for 6 years, had two conference championships and 5 bowl teams and he got the Texas Tech job.  I love coach L, but he doesn't have that kind of resume yet.

• Upvote 3