Seth Littrell Rumors Mega Thread

Cerebus

One thing about KU is the momentum picking up surrounding them dropping football. Or at least dropping to FCS. Before you say, "no way they do that...."

All football is doing at KU is sucking money away from other sports. I personally think it would be smart for them to drop football and put even more focus on basketball. 

If that happened, they would be out of the big 12. 

So instead of talking about Littrell going to KU...why don't we talk about who would fill an open spot in the big 12...

Edited by TheColonyEagle
  • Ray 1

7 hours ago, PlummMeanGreen said:

Just as there are haters in this world who don’t want America to succeed so are there some who can’t handle “the Sleeping Giant” in the northern part of Texas fully waking up for a decade or more of winning seasons & success.

I agree. UNT should have been big years ago. If I am an athlete, why would I want to go to TCU or SMU over UNT? The only reason they would is because their sports has just been better. No way are you having more fun at TCU and SMU over UNT. Now UTA on the other hand, I don't know what to say about them. They are a large university that just doesn't seem to exist. I went there for a semester and absolutely hated it. Went back to UNT and knew instantly it was just a better place to be. UNT is just what Seth Littrell said it could be, "a monster." Maybe just maybe, he wants to ride with the "the Sleeping Giant" like PlummMeanGreen said.

Edited by Venson
spelling
  • Upvote 4

20 hours ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Money talks... but for the sake of the argument, let's just leave money out of this conversation.

Tech can be more successful than TCU in the long run... absolutely. 
The others, maybe... probably not, but those jobs are pretty secure right now.
You never know when the next availability at OU will be.   Riley could be the next Stoops there & remain for 20+ years.   
It would be every Mean Green fan's dream to keep Littrell around here that long...   Judging by his track record, that's just not going to happen.

And again, regarding Kansas...   Littrell got his start on Mangino's staff.   He knows how high Kansas can go.

The same arguments everyone is using about these schools were being said about North Texas as far as G5's go in 2016.  North Texas was 1-11 & lived in the ESPN bottom 10 perpetually.   Why wouldn't Littrell just continue tearing it up as OC at North Carolina and wait for the "best opportunity"?   Because he's looking to move up.   Even if he has to start at the bottom (Kansas) to move up.

If, big if, Texas Tech hires a bona fide coach and let’s them build the program properly, there is a chance that they could be as or more successful than TCU long term. This takes years and years of 10+ win seasons which have been quite elusive for Tech, and based on the current state of the program, would likely take another 3-4 years to even sniff that mark. You’re talking about surgery, not a band aid at Tech. That is not very attractive if you’re sitting in Littrell’s shoes in that you don’t have to take one that’s in bad shape or has disadvantages within the conference. You can wait.

Agree on the deal with Lincoln Riley’s potential tenure, but there’s always a chance he could be intrigued by a NFL position (apparently several head coaches and front office people are high on him) at some point. Understandably, a coach like Littrell may not want to wait on this to possibly happen. But if you do know Littrell, he will wait on the “right” one and those don’t appear to be opening after this football season.

As for the best opportunity coming out of North Carolina, UNT was it. During an ACC championship game run, and after having learned under Larry Fedora, Littrell has professed publicly that “he was finally ready” to be a head coach. UNT was no doubt, an uphill battle at that time, but he saw it as an opportunity to get closer to home and cut his teeth as a first time head coach at a place that had substantially underperformed and had tremendous potential to be the best program in the conference,

Do Kansas and Tech posses similar characteristics? 

Edited by UNT Mean Green
  • Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, UNT Mean Green said:

If, big if, Texas Tech hires a bona fide coach and let’s them build the program properly, there is a chance that they could be as or more successful than TCU long term. This takes years and years of 10+ win seasons which have been quite elusive for Tech, and based on the current state of the program, would likely take another 3-4 years to even sniff that mark. You’re talking about surgery, not a band aid at Tech. That is not very attractive if you’re sitting in Littrell’s shoes in that you don’t have to take one that’s in bad shape or has disadvantages within the conference. You can wait.

Agree on the deal with Lincoln Riley’s potential tenure, but there’s always a chance he could be intrigued by a NFL position (apparently several head coaches and front office people are high on him) at some point. Understandably, a coach like Littrell may not want to wait on this to possibly happen. But if you do know Littrell, he will wait on the “right” one and those don’t appear to be opening after this football season.

As for the best opportunity coming out of North Carolina, UNT was it. During an ACC championship game run, and after having learned under Larry Fedora, Littrell has professed publicly that “he was finally ready” to be a head coach. UNT was no doubt, an uphill battle at that time, but he saw it as an opportunity to get closer to home and cut his teeth as a first time head coach at a place that had substantially underperformed and had tremendous potential to be the best program in the conference,

Do Kansas and Tech posses similar characteristics? 

No one except for people here on GMG.com would ever... EVER... agree with that first bolded point in 2016.
Memphis, Tulane, USM, ECU, and so many more were open that offseason... most with some recent success.

As for the second bolded point...  If Littrell could do what he's done here at one of those two schools (which I'm certain he believes he can), absolutely.  It has already been accomplished previously, while he, himself, was contributing.  He saw it happen firsthand.  He knows it could happen again.

19 hours ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Those programs are used to it.   
Then it happens (because, it does), and their leadership is good enough to identify another home run hire & keep the train rolling.

This is all new territory for NT.  I can understand why so many people would want to stick their head in the sand and pretend it's not going to happen.
Fortunately, I think we have the leadership in place to make the next home run hire.

This.

Everyone talks about hoping Littrell can be the next Patterson, while forgetting that Dennis Franchione got the ball rolling at TCU. 

Dirk Koetter was first up at Boise, not Chris Petersen.  Ark St has had so many coaches I can't even keep track or remember who kicked off their turnaround (think it was Malzahn?).

UH was bad for a decade (or more?) before hiring Art Briles.  While they have been up and down since they are never terrible.

When you look across the G5 landscape there are a few programs who stand out and are consistent winners.  None of them have had the same coach for very long or still have the coach who started their positive turnaround.  One thing that does stand out is that, when they do have a coach/staff poached by a bigger school, they hire coaches that bring continuity to the program while also pushing the envelope in terms of progressive schemes.  

Edited by TIgreen01
  • Upvote 3

2 Things!!!!

1) Why do we all assume Litrell wants to go back to Tech.  I've said it before, and I'll say it agin, he is a big Leach supporter, and Tech completely shit all over Leach.  Is his loyalty to leach more than his love of Lubbock?  I'd say there is a very good chance of that.

2) I can 100% Guarantee you Litrell will be the UNT coach this Saturday against UIW, therefore instead of worrying about something i have no control over, that may or may not happen in 2-3 months time, I'm going to show up at the Apogee parking lot, crack open a cold beer, and throughly enjoy the fact that UNT is in a position this program hasn't been in, in my lifetime.

• Upvote 4
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Ray 1

54 minutes ago, Aldo said:

I honest to God can't tell if you're trolling

Isn't this whole thread a big troll pack 

Do we have this to look forward to after every win.

I always though OU was Seth's preferred location, Lubbock is not for everyone. Did he ever say where he would like to end up? 

5 minutes ago, KingDL1 said:

Isn't this whole thread a big troll pack 

Without question this whole thread is one big troll...

@Cerebus is rubbing his hands together as we go 6+ pages deep. He's knows what he's doing. @Harry is a master of it as well...

This is us:

image.png.2c05f404ad2460299ac3e0e8d52ca36a.png

Edited by TheColonyEagle
  • Haha 2

5 minutes ago, KingDL1 said:

The guy has lived a life and lots of interviews does not mean he could not have said sometime in his past.

If you go to an interview, are you going to talk about how much you want to use that position as a stepping stone to another spot?
Littrell & his inner-circle likely knows where he wants to be.  I think we can all assume that includes HC at Oklahoma one day, but other than that...? 

7 minutes ago, untjim1995 said:

Take it for what its worth, but the KU beat writer for the Lawrence paper says Seth Littrell has made it clear he isn't interested at all in the Kansas job. Does say that he is the clear front-runner for the Tech job, though...

If Tech is offered he will take it.  KU is a little tougher sell.

• Downvote 1