Seth Littrell Rumors Mega Thread

Cerebus

i hope he stays at least through next season so he finishes with Fine.  If decides to stay here forever that would be better then great.  Stay here win 7-10 games a year and you will  have a job forever.  Go to the big boys and dont win the conference or national champship and go 9-4 and you will be on the hot seat.  I know he is young and ambious and there are big dollars awaiting him.  But making over 1 million and living in Denton would not be a bad thing.  We really need to keep Wren here. We have seen examples of a bad AD and what a difference a good AD can do.

I'm telling you right now that Kansas is a better job than Texas Tech. Eventually, Snyder will die, and when he does, just like the last time he retired, KU will jump them again IF they have the right coach. KU has the $$$, the academics, and a great location being 40 miles from Kansas City. 

Tech has a ceiling that will never be higher than OU, UT, TCU, or OSU. Hell, it hasn't been higher than UH ever.

KU has one win in a BCS bowl game--Tech has never been in one...think about that for a second.

Edited by untjim1995
  • Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

At this point its a great problem to have. I would love for Littrell to stay and be a patterson type for our program but as long as we keep winning and bringing in great recruits, the arrow is only going to point up for North Texas and if we need to replace our coach because he left for a p-5 program (something that hasn't happened in over 35 years here) then we will do that at the time when its necessary. All this speculation is pointless, especially one week into the season. Its not like he is headed to Tech or Kansas tomorrow. Lets just enjoy what has the potential to be an excellent season and worry about this when/if it happens.

• Upvote 5

Short Story, uh, Long...😓

The North Texas upside has never been better & that I'd say before the SMU game of which none of us before last Saturday had ever experienced such a Game Day at UNT.   

From the Archives of Old People Who Keep Repeating the Same Stories Again & Again:👴    North Texas once had a HFC who was offered a Southwest Conference Head Football Coach's gig & turned it down saying he had a better job in Denton . (Quotes like that you never forget--SUMG might want to confirm that that was in deed said).   After Said Coach stayed another 3 glorious years at UNT then a Big 10 school came a-callin'.  The latter job would be better than the first offer he received 3 years earlier.

Texas Tech would be a temptation for some coaches, but having been a casual fan of the school since birth the one thing that has always stuck in my craw is that the Red Raiders (best to my memory) have only "tied" for 1 conference championship since they entered the SWC in 1956 & to this day a sole conference football championship has eluded them.  (Other side of that coin is that would be a challenge for some coaches who would want to be the first to win an outright conference football  championship in Lubbock). 

My gut tells me we have Seth LIttrell as our Mean Green HFC for at least 6 seasons.  He seems to have his own dreams for our alma mater's football program.   Why go to a P5 where fans call for your head if you don't win an N.C. by Year 2?  

Seth is a major reason many great things are happening in Denton; his being on the UNT payroll has our President, AD and BOR's wanting to improve our present facilties with an Indoor Practice Facility that will soon (enough) be up & running and....& (who knows) maybe a stadium expansion if the NCAA starts doing the Cotton Eye Joe  conference re-alignment thing again. 

As FFR used to post on this forum::  "It's All Good--It's all Green!

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 3

12 minutes ago, FirefightnRick said:

Fan bases at Boise, UCF, Houston...etc upon hearing a coach change rumor after week one.

200.gif

...then there's North Texas.

charlie-sheen.gif

Rick

Those programs are used to it.   
Then it happens (because, it does), and their leadership is good enough to identify another home run hire & keep the train rolling.

This is all new territory for NT.  I can understand why so many people would want to stick their head in the sand and pretend it's not going to happen.
Fortunately, I think we have the leadership in place to make the next home run hire.

• Upvote 2

The only thing that makes me nervous is G5s are always 1 year away from irrelevance even after they hit it big. 

How do you ensure you're a Boise and not a Western Michigan.

How will UCF fair after Milton leaves? They are blowing up now but are not at all far removed from 0-12 and could just as easily be back to a losing record in a couple of years.

G5s seem to have such little room for error that one bad recruiting class can take you from filling your stadium every Saturday to 12K per game.... 

• Upvote 2
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, untjim1995 said:

I'm telling you right now that Kansas is a better job than Texas Tech. Eventually, Snyder will die, and when he does, just like the last time he retired, KU will jump them again IF they have the right coach. KU has the $$$, the academics, and a great location being 40 miles from Kansas City. 

Tech has a ceiling that will never be higher than OU, UT, TCU, or OSU. Hell, it hasn't been higher than UH ever.

KU has one win in a BCS bowl game--Tech has never been in one...think about that for a second.

image.png.cbc74f3d58d18b803d0fc391a57f58b8.png

KU is a coaching graveyard and I think they are satisfied being a basketball school. If I was a coach and had to pick between KU & TT to succeed in my career, I think I'd go with Tech. 

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, GreenTexan13 said:

image.png.cbc74f3d58d18b803d0fc391a57f58b8.png

KU is a coaching graveyard and I think they are satisfied being a basketball school. If I was a coach and had to pick between KU & TT to succeed in my career, I think I'd go with Tech. 

This is good.   

Here is an apt comparison:

north-texas-portland-state.png

UNT is a coaching graveyard and I think they are satisfied being a women's soccer school.   If I was a coach and had to pick between UNT and <XYZ other G5> to succeed in my career, I think I'd go with <XYZ other G5>.

I'm very glad Littrell didn't see it that way back in 2016.   I have a feeling he thinks the same way now.   
Again, Littrell got his start coaching on Mangino's staff.  3 years after he left, Mangino had Kansas at #8, winning the Orange Bowl, with an 11-1 record.   Littrell understands what can happen when you do things right, even at lowly Kansas.   I'm not saying he's gone.   But it would not be surprising to me.

I love Littrell as most of you prolly already know. But how do we know he is a lock to get offered the Tech job? Why not Neal Brown.. Blake Anderson.. Heck even Bryan Harsin.. I would think Kansas more than Tech. Just because Kansas has alot of things UNT did. Low expectations and high ceiling. He wont be required to be ranked year one or heck even year 3 just win. 

But

Lets just enjoy the ride and let this all play out. It wasn't that long ago that we were 1-11... Last saturday night as I looked out at apogee and saw 29k + on their feet as we scored to make it 36-0 heading into the 4th quarter.. it was a great feeling!! let enjoy it

• Upvote 2
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, TheReal_jayD said:

Lets just enjoy the ride and let this all play out. It wasn't that long ago that we were 1-11... Last saturday night as I looked out at apogee and saw 29k + on their feet as we scored to make it 36-0 heading into the 4th quarter.. it was a great feeling!! let enjoy it

This.

At the end of the day, none of us know what is going to happen. We can all speculate on this board and say he is leaving or he is not leaving. None of us know what is in his head or in his heart. I highly doubt Coach Littrell has told anyone on this board what he plans to do. Until then, all we can do is take him at his word, enjoy the ride, and stop getting our panties in a bunch over him leaving.

• Upvote 1

43 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

This is good.   

UNT is a coaching graveyard and I think they are satisfied being a women's soccer school.   If I was a coach and had to pick between UNT and <XYZ other G5> to succeed in my career, I think I'd go with <XYZ other G5>.

I'm very glad Littrell didn't see it that way back in 2016.   I have a feeling he thinks the same way now.   
Again, Littrell got his start coaching on Mangino's staff.  3 years after he left, Mangino had Kansas at #8, winning the Orange Bowl, with an 11-1 record.   Littrell understands what can happen when you do things right, even at lowly Kansas.   I'm not saying he's gone.   But it would not be surprising to me.

Can't argue with that haha. Touche' sir. I still can't agree with KU being a better pick over TT. But why does it matter, if he were to leave... It won't be UNT...

9 minutes ago, Venson said:

At the end of the day, none of us know what is going to happen. We can all speculate on this board and say he is leaving or he is not leaving. None of us know what is in his head or in his heart. I highly doubt Coach Littrell has told anyone on this board what he plans to do. Until then, all we can do is take him at his word, enjoy the ride, and stop getting our panties in a bunch over him leaving.

You beat me to it.  Let's quit talking about Littrell leaving UNT.  Let's enjoy the season and watch it play out.  A successful season this year and possibly a bowl game will show others that UNT can win, UNT has the backing of the BOR for successful athletics,  UNT has a President that "gets it", and UNT has a fan base that will get behind the Mean Green in force.  Quit wasting time over something that we can't control, other than filling Apogee Stadium, buying UNT gear, and yelling like hell at football games.

Edited by DeepGreen
  • Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, GreenTexan13 said:

Can't argue with that haha. Touche' sir. I still can't agree with KU being a better pick over TT. But why does it matter, if he were to leave... It won't be UNT...

I mean,
If both schools were to have openings after this season (which both likely will), and the money is anywhere near similar, I would think Littrell would rather have the Tech job.   But that's just spitballing. 
Heck, there could be some other school somewhere that has an opening and he likes it better.   Or, he could do what everyone here hopes he would do, and stick around a while.  I have no idea.

• Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 1

Just like there are exceptional wins or losses, there are exceptions at the coaching level.  I always thought Mangino was that at KU.  Their success under him was not a sign of what they could be, but someone they should have hung onto dearly for life.

I don't buy the notion - maybe I"m wrong - that KSU/Snyder are the barrier between them and long term success.  Take away KSU and I still think those Kansas schools stay a step below all the Texas/OK schools.

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

This is good.   

People on here always amaze at the little knowledge they have of recent history.

Both Tech and KU have gotten to the #2 ranking in late season polls. One, Tech, got prison raped by OU, then got a berth in the Cotton Bowl to get crushed by 4- loss Ole Miss in a non-BCS bowl game. The other, KU, lost to Missouri by 5 points, then went to the Orange Bowl (BCS) and beat a top ten ranked Va Tech.

But, because Tech hasn’t sucked as horrifically as KU since Mangino got fired, it’s somehow a better job? No way...the pecking order in Texas for recruits has Tech was low on the totem pole, behind several Texas and Oklahoma schools. 

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, untjim1995 said:

People on here always amaze at the little knowledge they have of recent history.

Both Tech and KU have gotten to the #2 ranking in late season polls. One, Tech, got prison raped by OU, then got a berth in the Cotton Bowl to get crushed by 4- loss Ole Miss in a non-BCS bowl game. The other, KU, lost to Missouri by 5 points, then went to the Orange Bowl (BCS) and beat a top ten ranked Va Tech.

But, because Tech hasn’t sucked as horrifically as KU since Mangino got fired, it’s somehow a better job? No way...the pecking order in Texas for recruits has Tech was low on the totem pole, behind several Texas and Oklahoma schools. 

So your whole argument is based off each team’s best season in recent memory and cause Kansas is good at basketball? Instead shouldn’t we look at current facilities? Tech. Better recruiting? Tech. Administration and alumni support? Tech.

Only someone with an agenda or just plain delusional would say Kansas is a better job than Texas Tech. 

• Confused 1
  • Downvote 1