Seth Littrell Rumors Mega Thread

Cerebus

3 minutes ago, UNTcrazy727 said:

This is hilarious coming from you. The person on this board with the most out of whack and unrealistic expectations. 

KSU has done more the past 20 years than UNT has done in its entire existence.If they weren't striving to be more they would have let Snyder coach until he died on the sideline. 

Out of whack? Being better is not out of whack. 

• Eye Roll 1

5 minutes ago, TheReal_jayD said:

My thoughts today.

Seth is a very good coach and will be great whereever he goes. I think this is all a product of Jimmy Sexton’s doings. There needs to be some damage control ASAP. We have a bowl game in a little over a week( which he hasn't won and i feel would be high on his to do list) and signing day in 2 weeks( we currently have a top 60 in the country class and #1 in CUSA something he has came no where to doing in his tenure). We have a TON of talent returning and a TON of talent coming in. I am not asking Seth to be the next Gary Patterson. But I am asking him to Shit or get off the pot. This is not helping the team, recruits, staff, fan base or athletic department. Either commit to one more year or accept whatever job Fat Jimmy can get you an offer at( because it isn't K-State so far). North Texas is not the same North Texas it was 20 years ago. This is one of the top 10 G5 programs in the country ( with one of the best administration in the country) and would be a hot opening if it came opened and we don't have to be drug around like a side chick/ back up plan.  ACCOMPLISH THE MISSION

100% word for word right on. 

8 minutes ago, TheReal_jayD said:

My thoughts today.

Seth is a very good coach and will be great whereever he goes. I think this is all a product of Jimmy Sexton’s doings. There needs to be some damage control ASAP. We have a bowl game in a little over a week( which he hasn't won and i feel would be high on his to do list) and signing day in 2 weeks( we currently have a top 60 in the country class and #1 in CUSA something he has came no where to doing in his tenure). We have a TON of talent returning and a TON of talent coming in. I am not asking Seth to be the next Gary Patterson. But I am asking him to Shit or get off the pot. This is not helping the team, recruits, staff, fan base or athletic department. Either commit to one more year or accept whatever job Fat Jimmy can get you an offer at( because it isn't K-State so far). North Texas is not the same North Texas it was 20 years ago. This is one of the top 10 G5 programs in the country ( with one of the best administration in the country) and would be a hot opening if it came opened and we don't have to be drug around like a side chick/ back up plan.  ACCOMPLISH THE MISSION

If the process with KSU is still on going what should he say? If no decision has been made by KSU what is he to say? Are you asking him to say no at this time to KSU and re up with NT? It is obviously a job he will take once offer.

Try to put yourselves in Littrell's shoes.

All of us here have an affinity for our Alma Mater.   This is not shared by Littrell.  (That's not to say he doesn't love it here, I'm sure he does.)  NT is simply his employer.   He's built a bond with his players though, and I know that's what is keeping him here now.   But the love for our Alma Mater must be removed from this equation to try and understand what he's thinking.

Instead, imagine an opportunity to move up to P5 falls in your lap.   Wouldn't you be interested & kick the tires?   Now imagine that opportunity turns into an interview, and things get serious.   What would you do?   Is it any different than what Littrell appears to be doing now?   

Now, if KSSt is dicking around, and you see the guys in your locker-room starting to suffer, that may have an effect on you (I know it would for me), but you have to persevere & see if this opportunity can become a reality. 

Push a quick decision (for your Mean Green locker-room's sake), but don't do so in a way that would be offputting, or remove you from consideration.    Don't lie to anyone... which usually just means be quiet.  But no need to tell the whole truth to everyone, especially fans, if they're not in the need-to-know category.

• Upvote 6

1 hour ago, UNTcrazy727 said:

Sounds like you've been eating a lot of sour grapes. 

I've gotten a lot of amusement the past couple days watching people on this forum trying to discredit what Seth has accomplished in his 3 years at UNT. 

47 minutes ago, UNTcrazy727 said:

This is hilarious coming from you. The person on this board with the most out of whack and unrealistic expectations. 

KSU has done more the past 20 years than UNT has done in its entire existence.If they weren't striving to be more they would have let Snyder coach until he died on the sideline. 

#discredit

#irony

10 hours ago, akriesman said:

Nice post.    BTW, I don't think you can get any down votes or up votes as none of us has any left today....LOL.   

BTW, my old college roommate was also Scrappy for a year.  But, I think it was actually called Eppy back then.

You’re 💯 correct - I ran out of reactions last night! My dad was Scrappy from ‘79-‘80 before graduating in ‘80, then got his Masters and graduated again in ‘81. I am pretty sure it was already Scrappy by then! I have been needing to find a picture or article if I can ever make it up to campus during their business/campus hours and get NT Daily to help me look through the archives. 🤪

Edited by Jessica M Hall
  • Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 1

2 hours ago, Stix said:

so you're like @SSP v2 , except it doesn't sound like your brothers played for NT, and you are an alum. 😋

Please stick around. I know there's at least one other female gmg member who posts fairly regularly, who has a screen name that doesn't hint at being female.  Maybe you should change yours?

Well, at least there are some other females here. Gotta keep these men in check at some point ... 🤪  No brothers played at UNT. 

Funny enough, I actually messaged one of the Admins last week because I wanted to change my display name, but now I don’t think I can go through with it. I welcome the opportunity for someone to call me out - Hell, that guy’s post warranted a response and in turn ended up increasing my reputation and profile views by many. 😂 If anyone ever needs a woman’s input, I’ll stick around. 🤷‍♀️👌🏼

• Upvote 3

27 minutes ago, Jessica M Hall said:

You’re 💯 correct - I ran out of reactions last night! My dad was Scrappy from ‘79-‘80 before graduating in ‘80, then got his Masters and graduated again in ‘81. I am pretty sure it was already Scrappy by then! I have been needing to find a picture or article if I can ever make it up to campus during their business/campus hours and get NT Daily to help me look through the archives. 🤪

My roommate was Scrappy/Eppy in 1985 I believe.   

• Lovely Take 1

I go to sleep and now I'm 20 pages behind. 

I haven't read them but I'm guessing this happened:

• People went nuts about tweets last night.
  • Pretty certain @Cerebus or @Harry responded with something regarding the wording of the tweet (Not NOT interviewed)
  • Other people got petty
  • Someone said GH sux
  • Someone else brought up records
  • Someone probably talked about how KState sucks or only was good with Snyder
  • Someone said who cares about Littrell
  • Someone probably really wants Neal Brown but someone else said we can only have him for a year.

Was I close?

• Upvote 5

2 hours ago, Professor Lambeau said:

I appreciate the improvement Coach SL has made to the football program at UNT. The program is better now than when he started.

Coach SL is a good, young coach. With all the money that K-State has because of their affiliation in the Big XII, why aren't they trying to hire a GREAT coach, one with a solid winning record, one who has won conference championships, and one who has won bowl games? The truth may be that they simply cannot attract a great coach.

SL is good, not great. There are a large number of issues that cannot be ignored: 1. the implosion of the team after halftime with double-digit leads in a few games, 2. the perceived inability to make adjustments at halftime, 3. the team's level of play (i.e., "playing down to") against inferior opponents, 4. erratic or inconsistent play-calling at times by the Offensive Coordinator without any intervention by Coach SL, 5. allowing Mason Fine to play hurt when it is obvious to everyone that he is not even close to being 100%, 6. the refusal to allow the backups (e.g., quarterback) to play when games are out-of-reach. Please go back and read almost any football game thread and review the comments posters have made about this coaching staff and you see the same consistent comments. 

To me, if K-State eventually hires Coach SL, then they have settled for being good, not great. There are other great coaches out there who would do a better job with the financial resources they have available.

I do not understand why Coach SL would want to take the K-State position other than the money. Once you put aside the significant pay raise for the short-term, what are the advantages? There are few. In fact, the disadvantages are far more significant than any advantages: 1. why follow a legend in Coach Snyder? 2. why accept the position when it appears Coach Snyder is going to maintain a presence as an "ambassador" to the athletic program and university? 3. why accept a position when Coach Snyder's son may likely remain on the staff and his promotion to head coach has been advocated for by Coach Snyder? 4. Do you honestly believe K-State is going to beat Texas and Oklahoma year after year after year (Coach SL is no Coach Herman or Coach Riley at this point) and have they ever had long-term success against Texas and Oklahoma under Coach Snyder (almost any season you are basically starting with two L's on the schedule)?

Summation: If your dream job is to one day be the coach at OU, then the path to Norman is not through Manhattan, KS.

This entire situation is just bizarre to me. I do not understand what K-State is trying to accomplish with the potential hiring of Coach SL nor do I understand the decision-making process by Coach SL if he accepted the position. For both, this is a path to nowhere, in my humble opinion.

There are two answers to you question:

1. There are a handful of coaches we can afford but have flat out stated they won’t follow Snyder. 

2. We need a guy that can prove someone other than Snyder can win in Manhattan. 

We don’t need a guy to come in and start taking down Oklahoma. That would be great, but the truth is the coaches that could fit in to the first category. We need a guy that can modernize our recruiting department and go bowling every year. 

Littrell seems to be a guy that could do that for us. If he comes in and does that, bigger schools will come calling in 3-5 years and THEN we go after a guy who sees the great things Seth did at KState but believes he could take us even further. 

We’ll pay Seth $3.5-4million a year and add a few million to the assistant/recruiting pool on a five year contract. We’ll pay the next guy $6million+ to win championships. If Seth out performs and starts winning championships, we’ll pay him to keep him instead. 

Seth is a win win for us, if he can perform. 

1 hour ago, TheReal_jayD said:

My thoughts today.

^

Indeed!

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, BlackCats said:

1. There are a handful of coaches we can afford but have flat out stated they won’t follow Snyder. 

We don’t need a guy to come in and start taking down Oklahoma. That would be great, but the truth is the coaches that could fit in to the first category. We need a guy that can modernize our recruiting department and go bowling every year. 

Littrell seems to be a guy that could do that for us. If he comes in and does that, bigger schools will come calling in 3-5 years and THEN we go after a guy who sees the great things Seth did at KState but believes he could take us even further. 

We’ll pay Seth $3.5-4million a year and add a few million to the assistant/recruiting pool on a five year contract. We’ll pay the next guy $6million+ to win championships. If Seth out performs and starts winning championships, we’ll pay him to keep him instead. 

You're acting like Seth is gone, where nothing has been announced and all we have is speculation

From what I can tell from scanning goemaws you seem to have inside info.

So whats the deal

1 hour ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Try to put yourselves in Littrell's shoes.

All of us here have an affinity for our Alma Mater.   This is not shared by Littrell.  (That's not to say he doesn't love it here, I'm sure he does.)  NT is simply his employer.   He's built a bond with his players though, and I know that's what is keeping him here now.   But the love for our Alma Mater must be removed from this equation to try and understand what he's thinking.

Instead, imagine an opportunity to move up to P5 falls in your lap.   Wouldn't you be interested & kick the tires?   Now imagine that opportunity turns into an interview, and things get serious.   What would you do?   Is it any different than what Littrell appears to be doing now?   

Now, if KSSt is dicking around, and you see the guys in your locker-room starting to suffer, that may have an effect on you (I know it would for me), but you have to persevere & see if this opportunity can become a reality. 

Push a quick decision (for your Mean Green locker-room's sake), but don't do so in a way that would be offputting, or remove you from consideration.    Don't lie to anyone... which usually just means be quiet.  But no need to tell the whole truth to everyone, especially fans, if they're not in the need-to-know category.

Did it really "fall in his lap", though?  Didn't he start all this by hiring Jimmy Sexton right after we became the media darling after the Peter Pan play and 4-0 start?

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, TIgreen01 said:

Did it really "fall in his lap", though?  Didn't he start all this by hiring Jimmy Sexton right after we became the media darling after the Peter Pan play and 4-0 start?

I don't know when he hired Sexton, but I highly doubt Littrell reached out to him... so having a super-agent's offer to represent you fall in your lap as well would also be included I suppose.   All of this due to the success he created here at North Texas.

3 minutes ago, BlackCats said:

Honest Questions:

1. If he doesn't perform (for whatever the reason), do you believe he has hurt his chances of getting his dream job of coaching at OU?

2. Why would he take a job when you are wanting him to improve things in the short-term so then you can make a bigger splash hire later to win championships (assuming he doesn't start winning championships)?

• Thanks 1

For years we talked here about wanting to be the next UH.  A springboard for the great up and coming coaches.  When we hired Littrel it showed the AD finally understood what was needed at North Texas.  A young, energetic,  upwardly mobile coach that will use us to build his resume and we will use him to elevate our program.  What we are feeling now was inevitable but also fortunate, in that it means we have had success. 

The majority of my disappointment comes from the fact that our coaching search will be late and we never landed the best recruiting class in a long long time.  I would not be shocked at all if Graham Harrell is announced as the next head coach.  Yes we all have our reservations about GH being the next head coach. But, if it means keeping the recruiting class together and possibly our staff then he deserves a very strong look.   

• Upvote 5
  • Confused 1
  • Eye Roll 1

2 hours ago, UNTcrazy727 said:

They might be able to hire an older, more seasoned coach, but Seth is one of the hottest names in the country. On paper, its a great hire for them. He turned a perennial loser into one of the best in CUSA. KSU fans are right to think that they have a coach that can bring them into the modern era of college football. Who are these better candidates you're mentioning? 

And what are the better options for Seth? KSU has won a lot of games in the Big 12 the past 15 years, it's close to home and has a environment that SL will feel comfortable. IMO, it might be the perfect place for Seth to coach while he waits for the OU job to open up.

Who are these better candidates you're mentioning?

I'm not sure why it matters but I will play along. This is one example (of many). IF I'm the AD at K-State, I make a phone call to Coach Bob Stoops. Hey Bob, I know you miss coaching, I read the advice you gave Coach Meyer about retirement. It has to be hard not spending time around your own staff, your own players, etc. What do you think about $5.5 M to move up here and take over our football program? We want a LEGEND to replace a LEGEND. Not interested, ok. How about $6.5 M? Still not interested? You sure? How about $7.5 M? Bob, before you answer, is it ok if I talk to your wife, Carol, and ask if she would like to have an additional $7.5 M yearly to spend? Bob, you think you might be interested in $7.5 M EACH year for four years?  Bob, you have a net worth of ~$18 M (assuming the internet is correct). In four years, just think what your net worth would be. You will have established a financial legacy for your family, your children, your grandchildren. . . Bob, that's $30 M guaranteed! Bob, you there?

And what are the better options for Seth?

Based on current college openings right now, stay at UNT...build a dynasty (build a monster)...win more games...win conference championships...win bowl games. When there is a P5 position opening that Coach SL can (not wish or hope) be successful then take that position. Do you really believe Coach SL can make K-State into a powerhouse football team and win against other high-level quality teams in that conference? Do you really think a top recruit is going to pick K-State over Texas and Oklahoma when they have options? I don't think it matters who K-State hires. K-State will be K-State. If I am wrong, I'm wrong.

As I have stated repeatedly, I hope Coach SL gets his dream job at OU one day. I have also said that I appreciate the improvement he has made to the football team. If Coach SL decides to leave, then I hope it is for a position that will actually enable him to fulfill his dream.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, HoustonEagle said:

For years we talked here about wanting to be the next UH.  A springboard for the great up and coming coaches.  When we hired Littrel it showed the AD finally understood what was needed at North Texas.  A young, energetic,  upwardly mobile coach that will use us to build his resume and we will use him to elevate our program.  What we are feeling now was inevitable but also fortunate, in that it means we have had success. 

The majority of my disappointment comes from the fact that our coaching search will be late and we never landed the best recruiting class in a long long time.  I would not be shocked at all if Graham Harrell is announced as the next head coach.  Yes we all have our reservations about GH being the next head coach. But, if it means keeping the recruiting class together and possibly our staff then he deserves a very strong look.   

Mainord would probably get the call before Harrell.

He's Seth's right hand man, is arguably our best recruiter, and the whole team loves him

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, CelinaKSU said:

Speaking of your recruits, I of course looked at the commitments to see who we might be able to poach. 4 of them have high rating on Rivals. However, I clicked the profile of your 4 highest rated recruits on Rivals, and non have p5 offers.

What's the deal? Did you guys just lock them up early and the P5 offers didn't get reported? Or just no P5 offers for them? How many committed player do you guys have that actually have at least a couple P5 offers?

Just leave

• Upvote 3
  • Confused 1

Just now, MeanGreenHoops said:

I wonder if the athletic dept. is going to send out a graphic at the end of this showing the value of all of this publicity was in marketing dollars, and the increase in traffic to their website after Littrell stays?

@Harry it'd be interesting to see traffic stats on GMG with all of this too

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Professor Lambeau said:

Who are these better candidates you're mentioning?

I'm not sure why it matters but I will play along. This is one example (of many). IF I'm the AD at K-State, I make a phone call to Coach Bob Stoops. Hey Bob, I know you miss coaching, I read the advice you gave Coach Meyer about retirement. It has to be hard not spending time around your own staff, your own players, etc. What do you think about $5.5 M to move up here and take over our football program? We want a LEGEND to replace a LEGEND. Not interested, ok. How about $6.5 M? Still not interested? You sure? How about $7.5 M? Bob, before you answer, is it ok if I talk to your wife, Carol, and ask if she would like to have an additional $7.5 M yearly to spend? Bob, you think you might be interested in $7.5 M EACH year for four years?  Bob, you have a net worth of ~$18 M (assuming the internet is correct). In four years, just think what your net worth would be. You will have established a financial legacy for your family, your children, your grandchildren. . . Bob, that's $30 M guaranteed! Bob, you there?

And what are the better options for Seth?

Based on current college openings right now, stay at UNT...build a dynasty (build a monster)...win more games...win conference championships...win bowl games. When there is a P5 position opening that Coach SL can (not wish or hope) be successful then take that position. Do you really believe Coach SL can make K-State into a powerhouse football team and win against other high-level quality teams in that conference? Do you really think a top recruit is going to pick K-State over Texas and Oklahoma when they have options? I don't think it matters who K-State hires. K-State will be K-State. If I am wrong, I'm wrong.

As I have stated repeatedly, I hope Coach SL gets his dream job at OU one day. I have also said that I appreciate the improvement he has made to the football team. If Coach SL decides to leave, then I hope it is for a position that will actually enable him to fulfill his dream.

It's not really about what the fans believe though, is it? The real question (if SL is bound for K-State) is does Seth Littrell believe he can make K-State into a powerhouse football team, win against other high-level quality teams in the conference, and out recruit Texas/Oklahoma?

• Upvote 3