Seth Littrell Rumors Mega Thread

Cerebus

22 hours ago, Side Show Joe said:

Littrell could leave, but I do not think he will.

He came to North Texas and said his mission was to "win championships and win bowl games". We have not done either yet. If he were to take the K-State job or another P5 offer, he would leave UNT without achieving what he set out to do. I don't believe the man could stomach that. I'm sure our fan base irritates him from time to time, but he can't deny that there is a core of fans that really care about this program, and he will probably never have another opportunity to build something from scratch again. Few coaches get to make a mark on a program like Patterson has at TCU. Littrell could do the same here at UNT, and he knows it. How much does Littrell like or hopefully love North Texas? We will find out soon.

Bill-Lumberg-Uh-Yeah-Office-Space.gif

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

On 12/2/2018 at 12:02 AM, Arkstfan said:

Gone through four hires in 9 years. It’s not the end of the world and it increases the applicant pool. 

Did all leave for better jobs or were any of them shown the door.  I am just curious why so many in such a short period of time.  Is Freeze looking for work?

2 hours ago, Harry said:

Since Bill Snyder has retired as the head coach of the Kansas State football team, curiosity continues to build as to who will be his successor. 

Many rumors are out there, but here are four of the top potential candidates to be the new face of K-State football.

1. Seth Littrell, North Texas head coach

Littrell has turned around the Mean Green football team. Before he was hired as head coach, the team had a record of 1-11. In his first season, they went 5-8 then 9-5, losing a bowl game both seasons. North Texas is currently 9-3 this season, including a 44-17 defeat of Arkansas. Littrell played college ball at Oklahoma and has had coaching experience at Texas Tech under Mike Leach, as well as North Carolina.

https://www.kstatecollegian.com/2018/12/03/who-will-replace-bill-snyder-as-k-state-footballs-head-coach/ via @kstatecollegian

The kid that wrote that article looks like he’s 17.  Hopefully it’s not a prioritized list from any decision makers. 

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Venson said:

Exactly what Chad Morris did. He jumped at the Arkansas job before SMU regressed this year. I think SL may be thinking the same thing. Get out while you can. I hope that we do not regress, but we are losing a lot on defense and I am not sure anyone backing up the current crop of seniors on the defensive side of the ball will play at the same or better level than what the seniors are this year. Maybe he sees that and will get out while he can. I hope not, but I cannot help but think that may be in his mind.

Arkansas is much better job than KSU.  It has more resources, history, and basic dominates sports media coverage in the state.  It is unqestionably the flagship University of the entire state.  KSU is not that within the state of Kansas.  Also "regressing" may cool off interest in you but it easier to rebuild here than KSU.  

• Upvote 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 2

6 minutes ago, Cerebus said:

So no offense to SL, but we've st*t the bed in every meaningful game he's coached in. If I'm looking for successful coaches, I'd say Neal Brown (Troy) and Chris Kleiman (NDSU) fit the bill. Troy beat a strong LSU last year and handled us in our bowl game. NDSU is the best of the best in FCS ball.

Edited by GMG_Dallas
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

If Seth turns down the K-state job you have the city of Manhattan Kansas to thank.  With a population of 52k, where will you be spending your millions?  Its almost three hours to Kansas City, about the same to Omaha.  If he wants to see family in Muskogee it will take almost 6 hours.  But, he will be rich! He can just fly everywhere.  Well he better have a private jet otherwise his choices are limited out of Manhattan Regional Airport.  

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, GMG_Dallas said:

If I'm looking for successful coaches, I'd say Neal Brown (Troy) and Chris Kleiman (NDSU) fit the bill. Troy beat a strong LSU last year and handled us in our bowl game. NDSU is the best of the best in FCS ball.

I think the concern with Kleiman is he took over a established power.  Craig Bohl had won 3 straight FCS championships, left for Wyoming, and then Kleiman just kept the momentum going.  Only other place he was ever a head coach was DIII Loras where he went 3-7.

Now Brown, I have no idea.  If SL leaves I would give him a call ASAP.

7 minutes ago, GMG_Dallas said:

So no offense to SL, but we've st*t the bed in every meaningful game he's coached in. If I'm looking for successful coaches, I'd say Neal Brown (Troy) and Chris Kleiman (NDSU) fit the bill. Troy beat a strong LSU last year and handled us in our bowl game. NDSU is the best of the best in FCS ball.

Don't say that too loud. People might get mad at you.

He's changed the culture, who needs meaningful wins?

• Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Downvote 1

Just now, Cerebus said:

I think the concern with Kleiman is he took over a established power.  Craig Bohl had won 3 straight FCS championships, left for Wyoming, and then Kleiman just kept the momentum going.  Only other place he was ever a head coach was DIII Loras where he went 3-7.

Agreed. Looking at Neal Brown, he's got a similar coaching trajectory as SL (OC/QB at Texas tech and Kentucky for 2 years each). I would love to have Neal Brown. I guess that's where my confusion lies with SL being their primary target here. Neal Brown sounds like such a stronger candidate to me at this point.

Regarding NDSU, keeping the momentum going never stopped Boise State coaches from getting plucked on a regular basis. I do understand your point though.

If SL leaves, Neal Brown would be such an exciting hire considering his recent stint at Texas Tech and Kentucky with Mainord (if I'm not mistaken). I think a guy like Brown would be our best chance at keeping the majority of this recruiting staff intact as well. Especially if he could keep Mainord here. The fact that Brown is an OC/QB guy is also great for our young QBs and to keep Mason Fine going senior year. Hopefully he's in green in a few weeks if SL leaves.

3 minutes ago, Cerebus said:

Everyone keeps saying this, but I am not a fan of the idea of bringing Brown here. He is good, but I don't think he is what we need right now. Do we really want to do this again this time next year? He is already on the radar for P5 jobs, so we would likely see him get that kind of offer after next year. We should try to find someone who is likely to stay for more than one season.

Just now, MGNation92 said:

You can say it as loud as you want.  It's just not the only factor they're considering.

He's a good candidate because he's coached a bunch of below-average CUSA classes into back-to-back 9+ win seasons, a championship game, a throttling of Arkansas on TV (some people won't care that AR is down), and about to sign the best class in conference.  With Mason, people can say he's got an eye for talent that everyone else missed, and developing that talent.  There are minimal - maybe none - behaviaral issues with his teams.  GPA/Graduation rates are top notch.  He's gotten better at handling the media.

...basically, everything else besides the big games.  I guess it's up to KSU and how they view the big picture.

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, MGNation92 said:

I don't comment to please people, I comment the way I see things.

I'm so grateful we got SL. He was the perfect hire for us and I don't think anybody out there would have given us more. He will forever be beloved amongst us UNT faithful. That said, his big games collapses are a concern (blowouts and loss of big leads). If I'm K State, I'm worried about replacing my legend with a guy who's yet to win a meaningful game. 

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, forevereagle said:

Everyone keeps saying this, but I am not a fan of the idea of bringing Brown here. He is good, but I don't think he is what we need right now. Do we really want to do this again this time next year? He is already on the radar for P5 jobs, so we would likely see him get that kind of offer after next year. We should try to find someone who is likely to stay for more than one season.

It has worked somewhat for Arkansas State (Freeze, Malzahn, Harsin all being 1-year rent-a-coaches) before they finally landed Anderson.

4 minutes ago, forevereagle said:

Sounds perfect to me. Houston got Herman knowing the big P5s were looking at him. He left after, what, 2 years? That's part of becoming a top notch G5 program. You get the guys the P5s are looking at, keep the momentum going, and become a regular stepping stool for the P5. We can't hire scared, afraid of losing our next coach too soon. You hire the best there is knowing he will be hired away soon. Period.

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

Just now, MeanGreenTexan said:

It has worked somewhat for Arkansas State (Freeze, Malzahn, Harsin all being 1-year rent-a-coaches) before they finally landed Anderson.

When you make that many hires so close together, the odds that one doesn't work start to go up. Not to mention what that kind of turnover can do to recruiting. Getting our coaches poached is part of life for us, but we don't have to make it harder on ourselves.

Also to note, why would Brown want to take this job? He is already on the radar for P5s and switching jobs may make it tougher for him to succeed. I don't see him leaving Troy except to take a P5 job.

6 minutes ago, forevereagle said:

Also to note, why would Brown want to take this job? He is already on the radar for P5s and switching jobs may make it tougher for him to succeed. I don't see him leaving Troy except to take a P5 job.

Because he would have lost this P5 opening to SL so why not replace SL at his former school to get him to a P5 and get paid nearly twice as much in the meantime. He may see it as UNT being a better opportunity to get him to a P5. Also, as mentioned before regarding SL taking tough coaching jobs, these guys believe they can win no matter where they go. They don't see tough and easy. They just see themselves climbing the ladder no matter where they go.

Edited by GMG_Dallas
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, forevereagle said:

When you make that many hires so close together, the odds that one doesn't work start to go up. Not to mention what that kind of turnover can do to recruiting. Getting our coaches poached is part of life for us, but we don't have to make it harder on ourselves.

To point 1:   I think that's where we would have to trust Baker.

To the question: If Littrell is hired away, Wells is hired away, Satterfield is hired away, etc...  while he continues to outperform those guys at Troy, he'll see he can't get that P5 job while in Troy, AL., and recognize he needs to move somewhere else where more eyes can be on him.    Plus, North Texas can easily double his salary, and likely triple his salary if needed, to entice him.

• Upvote 1