Seth Littrell Rumors Mega Thread

Cerebus

5 minutes ago, NorthTexan95 said:

When I listen to guys talk about how Littrell turned around North Texas I question how much thought they really put into it.  As much as Littrell had done on the field, his success would not have been possible without a complete turnaround in the AD office, BOR, and school President.  You cannot explain the turnaround these past few years without adding those factors as well. 

Seth knows this a continues to mention it repeatedly! I am sure at his other stops he has seen the opposite and what a pain it is to not all be on the same page. It truly is a team effort with Neil and Wren leading the way!

• Upvote 2
  • Lovely Take 2

1 hour ago, Wag Tag said:

Seth knows this a continues to mention it repeatedly! I am sure at his other stops he has seen the opposite and what a pain it is to not all be on the same page. It truly is a team effort with Neil and Wren leading the way!

This is why i still feel confident in UNT FB moving forward, even in the unfortunate event of Seth leaving us for "greener pastures" Wren and Neil have an eye for talent and a dedication to winning programs like no one else i have seen at UNT.   

We haven't been in this position for a long time and it is bittersweet to me.   We have an amazing coaching staff here, we all want to keep them together for as long as possible even though we all know, deep down, that will not be the case for long.   Having a coach others covet is a great step in the right direction and under the leadership and direction of Wren and Neil i am confident that any change that needs to be made will be a positive step in the right direction.   We will miss Seth and Co. when they move on, but for now I am enjoying this ride, looking forward to the bowl game and hoping that we have another year, 2 or even 3 with this amazing crew. 

It was mentioned earlier, we have unfinished business.  We need the conference title and I hope that Seth feels that way too.  It is better for his legacy at NT, for his resume in CFB and for UNT as a program if that happens.   He wins the conference here, nails down yet another 9+ win season and KState isn't the biggest school to come calling next time and it continues to prove that UNT isn't the Sleeping Giant anymore.   We are waking up.

• Upvote 3
  • Lovely Take 4

7 minutes ago, Harry said:

I think this is a pretty good analysis of the K-State Coaching situation:

Don’t understand the reasoning for not making a retirement statement! Once that is made how many coaches come out of the woods and apply for the job! They have their list but you want to see all options!

• Lovely Take 1

15 hours ago, TheReal_jayD said:

What report do we have from kstate besides a message board that has been regurgitated 100 times. Why so sour man? It's gonna be alright either way Seth stay or goes. 

I was just pointing out what you initially said was wrong, which is Seth was never reported to be a main target for Tech. 

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

3 minutes ago, Cerebus said:

Ton of talk this way.

On to the next one.

Only thing I'm seeing from both sides are fans/boosters saying he is staying/leaving.

I honestly don't want a coach who will pick a team like Kstate over what he is building with us.

Now alma mater or a blue blood school I can understand.

• Lovely Take 2
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Downvote 3

6 minutes ago, RiseUNT said:

Only thing I'm seeing from both sides are fans/boosters saying he is staying/leaving.

I honestly don't want a coach who will pick a team like Kstate over what he is building with us.

Sure you don't.  What is he building here?  If he wants to compete for national titles, it won't be here unless by some miracle we break into a power 5 conference.  I love this school and this team, but we don't have a lot to offer the top end coaching talent of the world, especially considering they can pay him double what we are paying him, if not more.  You would be stupid to turn down that kind of f*** you money.

• Confused 1

5 hours ago, Wag Tag said:

Don’t understand the reasoning for not making a retirement statement! Once that is made how many coaches come out of the woods and apply for the job! They have their list but you want to see all options!

Lets say you wanted your son to become the HC? Or at least to keep having a coordinator job. If that is what you wanted, why anounce early? Reduces your leverage.

12 minutes ago, RiseUNT said:

I agree. It's disappointing. Fairly confident our fan base will be pissed when they find out that we are playing our Bowl Game with an interim coach, even though I know that's just how it goes. If he were just patient for another year, guaranteed he probably would have had a bigger "name" P5 school looking at him. 

Edited to say: We can be disappointed, but it's understanding when a school is throwing that much cash at him and not sure we can blame him for that. Selfishly though, we can be disappointed. I hope Wren gets an extremely solid name and I can't wait to see what he has up his sleeve with his great leadership so far. I hope our other coaches will still stay and support this group of guys. 

Edited by Jessica M Hall

12 minutes ago, RiseUNT said:

I'm hearing more than that.  Main thing to remember is our leadership is better than we have ever had at NT.  Have to trust them to find the next coach and continue to fund the program.  

Just now, Cerebus said:

I'm hearing more than that.  Main thing to remember is our leadership is better than we have ever had at NT.  Have to trust them to find the next coach and continue to fund the program.  

If he’s gone, he’s gone. Time for Wren to earn his keep hiring a successor to take the next steps.. Seth’s set foundation for success. There’ll be a ton of interest in this job.

4 minutes ago, peanuts104 said:

Sure you don't.  What is he building here?  If he wants to compete for national titles, it won't be here unless by some miracle we break into a power 5 conference.  I love this school and this team, but we don't have a lot to offer the top end coaching talent of the world, especially considering they can pay him double what we are paying him, if not more.  You would be stupid to turn down that kind of f*** you money.

Didn't know Kstate, Texas Tech, and Kansas were competing for national championships.

Snyder is the best coach to ever coach at Kstate and I don't think they were ever in the National Championship conversation.

• Thanks 1

On 11/5/2018 at 3:17 PM, TheReal_jayD said:

before you read this: I am one of the biggest Seth Littrell homers ever and have been that way since day one.  

Two names that have been brought up a lot here lately on the board are Colby Carthel (Texas A&M Commerce HC) and Eric Morris (Incarnate Word HC) and they are probably my two favorite choices.  Here’s my question -- why can we not have them both? Now hear me out here. Eric Morris has proven this season he can lead a program as a head coach and can also put up some points. He took over Incarnate Word that won one game last season. He won his 5th game this weekend with 3 games left to play. He has also said that he likes the defense that Colby Carthel coaches as he hired the Texas A & M Commerce Defensive Coordinator after Carthel led the Lions to a National Championship last season.  

Questions have been raised about Carthel making the Jump from D2 all the way to FBS. But questions have never been raised about his ability to coach defense. So, my proposal is to Hire Eric as the HC/OC to replace Seth. Then hire Coach Carthel as the DC/ Coach in waiting so he can get some experience at the FBS level. Because he has proven he and lead and win games. It will also give him a shot to get FBS experience. I think this is doable financially. You are currently paying Seth in the 1.5 million dollar range and Graham 300K+ range. I don’t have the numbers for Eric but I bet he could be got for around 1.2. Colby is making 200k at Commerce so you could easily double his money and have your HC and both coordinators filled with 2 top notch options.

It looks like Colby Carthel is accepting the SFA head coaching job: http://footballscoop.com/news/source-colby-carthel-new-head-coach-stephen-f-austin/

• Lovely Take 1

13 minutes ago, p_phelps said:

So who would be our top targets if SL does in fact leave?

Eric Morris from Incarnate Word seems like a pretty fitting candidate. Was rumored for the job when he was the OC at Tech in 2015.

I also am a big fan of Will Healy from Austin Peay but they took a step back this year, and he probably is not nearly as good a fit.

5 minutes ago, BillySee58 said:

Eric Morris from Incarnate Word seems like a pretty fitting candidate. Was rumored for the job when he was the OC at Tech in 2015.

I also am a big fan of Will Healy from Austin Peay but they took a step back this year, and he probably is not nearly as good a fit.

Would talk to Sonny at TCU and Ruffin at OU!

• Downvote 3

40 minutes ago, RiseUNT said:

Didn't know Kstate, Texas Tech, and Kansas were competing for national championships.

Snyder is the best coach to ever coach at Kstate and I don't think they were ever in the National Championship conversation.

Had to sign up just to correct that statement.

K-State has indeed competed for national championships and would have played in the NC game in 1998 if they hadn't blown a 15-point lead in the conference championship game. They were ranked No. 1 in the coaches' poll before that game. They had 6 top-ten finishes and four consecutive 11-win seasons from 1997 to 2000. K-State was also ranked No. 1 in the BCS poll for most of the 2012 season before losing its 11th game that year. Having played at OU, Seth Littrell is very familiar with K-State's outstanding football program, going to bowl games on a regular basis (though not this year).

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 4