Seth Littrell Rumors Mega Thread

Cerebus

4 hours ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

I think we can pretty much all agree that if it were up to us or Wren, or Smatresk, or Brint, we would.
Unfortunately, it ain't up to any of us/them.

So let's just kick that dead horse for who knows how long.

• Confused 1

26 minutes ago, UNT78 said:

Gentlemen,

Wake up, it's always about the money...

So you're saying that if, hypothetically, East Carolina decided they wanted to offer Seth Littrell $2mil/yr (wanting to recapture the offensive magic they had there when Leach disciple Lincoln Riley was OC, plus, they saw up-close what his offense looked like while he was OC at UNC), he would take that job over the one he has now?  If it's about the money $600k is a lot of money!  I really don't think he would.

It's not ALWAYS about the money.    Of course P5 can usually offer more money, so it may look that way, but more importantly, they offer Littrell the opportunity to win a P5 conference championship & get into the CFP.... Something UNT, ECU or any other wealthy G5 could never do.

• Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Downvote 1

17 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Hmm.   Keep an eye on this one.

I don't think many here would argue that Kansas State is NOT a good job.   I gotta think that Dana Dimel would also be seriously considered after all his time there.

Well he does have that big Rice win under his belt.

• Haha 1
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

That, and he's put a scare into a few other teams (including us), after taking over an 0-12 team with no life at all.  He's a good coach.

I know a guy that may have inherited a worse team and took them to a bowl game in year one.

PS. I didn’t downvote you.

Edited by Cr1028
  • Downvote 1

43 minutes ago, Cr1028 said:

I know a guy that may have inherited a worse team and took them to a bowl game in year one.

A worse team...yes but still UNT was still widely considered one of the best jobs in CUSA. Iowa State, Kansas State and Kansas are the worst jobs in the Big 12. SL has done an unreal job. I give him credit on being a year ahead of schedule every step of the way in the turnaround of this program. But UNT football had been mismanaged on so many fronts. We have the best stadium in the league, we spend the most money on football in the league, we have the highest HC salary and the highest assistant pool. We probably have the best recruiting area in the league and we have an AD, President and Board that get what it takes to win. The lift at Kansas or Kansas State will be significantly harder as they don't enjoy any of those advantages relative to other Big 12 teams. 

IMO, the Big 12 breaks down like this

OU and Texas - best two jobs by far

TCU, Ok State - next best jobs based on facilities, location, etc.

Baylor, Texas Tech, West Virginia - if not for the Briles scandal, I think Baylor might deserve to be in the group above

Iowa State, Kansas State

Kansas

• Downvote 1

3 hours ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Hmm.   Keep an eye on this one.

I don't think many here would argue that Kansas State is NOT a good job.   I gotta think that Dana Dimel would also be seriously considered after all his time there.

Yeah, I fail to see how Kansas or Kansas St can be a step up aside from conference affiliation. It would take a miracle for either to sniff a shot at the national title, and we are putting a lot into upgrading our facilities. 

• Downvote 1

1 hour ago, Rudy said:

Yeah, I fail to see how Kansas or Kansas St can be a step up aside from conference affiliation. It would take a miracle for either to sniff a shot at the national title, and we are putting a lot into upgrading our facilities. 

KSSt won the Big12 just 6 years ago!  The best JUCO league in the country is right there too.   It’s not Oklahoma, but it provides the exact same opportunity TXTech would, & many here were worried about Littrell going to Tech...

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

11 hours ago, Rudy said:

They won the Big 12, and what did they get?

After looking it up, it was a "share" of the Big12 title (but by beating OU, they won the tiebreaker to be the Big12 representative in the BCS).
It earned them a #7 ranking (before their lone loss, they were #2 in the BCS poll) and a trip to the Fiesta Bowl VS #4 Oregon.
So, yeah!   Kansas State is a place where you can have a legitimate shot at a National Title.

• Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, Cerebus said:

East Carolina?  Don' think they are a threat at all.  Anything he could do at ECU he could do at least as well at NT.  

I think he's referencing the hypothetical I threw out below, in debunking the idea that it's all about money.   Of course Littrell would stay here... because it's NOT about the money anymore.

Now, if he were being paid in Neal Brown's neighborhood ($660K), that would be different. 

19 hours ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

So you're saying that if, hypothetically, East Carolina decided they wanted to offer Seth Littrell $2mil/yr (wanting to recapture the offensive magic they had there when Leach disciple Lincoln Riley was OC, plus, they saw up-close what his offense looked like while he was OC at UNC), he would take that job over the one he has now?  If it's about the money $600k is a lot of money!  I really don't think he would.

It's not ALWAYS about the money.    Of course P5 can usually offer more money, so it may look that way, but more importantly, they offer Littrell the opportunity to win a P5 conference championship & get into the CFP.... Something UNT, ECU or any other wealthy G5 could never do.

• Lovely Take 1
  • Downvote 1

Anyone who's followed the Baylor scandal to its current status knows that the it involved the coaching staff, administration, leadership et all. If you think somehow Kendall is guilt free of that disgusting mess you're just trying to be okay with hiring him because of his ability. If the whole house is burning it's unlikely he doesn't smell like smoke.

I like Morris and the A&M commerce guy. I'm also potentially in on the Graham Harrell hire. I think the continuity would be important. It would also matter how much of the staff Litrell would be taking with him. 

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 2

Gonna leav this here

https://www.rockchalktalk.com/2018/11/5/18064758/kansas-jayhawks-football-potential-head-coach-candidate-tracker-week-10

Lots of Mention of SL (and somebody even links the stupid NT daily opinion somebody wrote). But even Kansas fans aren't sure they can get SL and think the buyout is at least somewhat of problem. How Frank Wilson is still on these lists absolutely baffles me.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1