Seth Littrell Rumors Mega Thread

Cerebus

10 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

To be as honest as possible, all this speculation is just tiring.  Let's focus on holding on to Littrell.  Honestly, why wouldn't these schools with openings go after the likes of Clark, Holtz, Dykes, Anderson, Brown, etc.. over Littrell?

Clark... maybe.  I'll be interested to see who goes after him this year.
Holtz... if someone were going to hire him, they would have already.  What else does he need to prove?  Consistent winner.
Dykes... he's 1 year off a poor PAC12 showing.  He's turning it around at SMU, but it's gonna take him a few seasons.  Not sure if anyone will give him another shot unless he has a UCF-type run.
Anderson... going to take a special offer to pry him away from his Alma Mater, and in order to get that special offer, he's going to need to turn-up the wins.
Brown... he has to be frustrated.  Like, what else does he need to do?  That's the thing, he MIGHT be a candidate HERE!  Accomplish the same thing hes doing at Troy, at a huge school in the #4 media market in the nation, and more eyeballs will be on you.  Plus, Hey!  Double the salary in the meantime!

As for Littrell, HOW he did it (taking over a 1-11 team) and turning it around very quickly, then keeping up the upward trend, is what is alluring to P5 schools.

Eric Morris is building something in SA. Not sure if he wants to leave that quite yet, and shoot for a better HC spot later.

The Briles name is tainted. Can't be a part of something so egregious and try and distance yourself from it. No way I want that kind of attention at North Texas. No amount of logical fallacies and context removals can justify that. Baylor is still reeling and they're still uncovering crud that it just reminds everyone "oh yeah remember that one time..."

We can bring a head coach rather than an up and coming OC now, methinks.

In terms of retread HCs or even OC options what about Tony Franklin, Robert Anae,  or a youngin like Jake Spavital

• Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Downvote 2

10 minutes ago, Aldo said:

Eric Morris is building something in SA. Not sure if he wants to leave that quite yet, and shoot for a better HC spot later.

The Briles name is tainted. Can't be a part of something so egregious and try and distance yourself from it. No way I want that kind of attention at North Texas. No amount of logical fallacies and context removals can justify that. Baylor is still reeling and they're still uncovering crud that it just reminds everyone "oh yeah remember that one time..."

We can bring a head coach rather than an up and coming OC now, methinks.

In terms of retread HCs or even OC options what about Tony Franklin, Robert Anae,  or a youngin like Jake Spavital

For Morris, it's the same principle as Littrell's.   What is the opportunity?   The opportunity to compete at the FBS level, at a school that is set up to succeed in your type of offense is one he simply could not pass up.

Agree on Lil' Briles.  He'll get a chance, but it will be at a place far away from Texas, like a MAC or MWC school.

No to Franklin. Not enough success.  Middling around too much.  
Anae would be intriguing because I think he would blow the HEB Samoan/Tongan pipeline wide open.  He's been Bronco Mendenhall's right hand man for a while now, and has Leach/RichRod (hello Jason Bean?)/MikeStoops influences.  Plus, with Bronco's (Rocky Long's) defense, I'm 100% sure Reff would stick around & be Assoc. HC.
And I'm a Spavital fan, but unsure of him because of how it ended at A&M... were any bridges with TX HS coaches burned?  If so, we cannot take that chance.

• Lovely Take 1
  • Downvote 1

6 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

And I'm a Spavital fan, but unsure of him because of how it ended at A&M... were any bridges with TX HS coaches burned?  If so, we cannot take that chance.

I'm having a hard time remembering. Was this a Kyler Murray thing?

-------------------------------------

Continuity is key. As long as we can keep the ball rolling (whenever that may be) Littrell is building something (read: not done yet) that the next person can just come along and pick it back up

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

6 minutes ago, Aldo said:

I'm having a hard time remembering. Was this a Kyler Murray thing?

-------------------------------------

Continuity is key. As long as we can keep the ball rolling (whenever that may be) Littrell is building something (read: not done yet) that the next person can just come along and pick it back up

Murray transferred out, and so did another QB (don't recall the name).   It was like after Manziel left,  Spavital instantly became public enemy #1 there for some reason.

• Downvote 1

10 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Murray transferred out, and so did another QB (don't recall the name).   It was like after Manziel left,  Spavital instantly became public enemy #1 there for some reason.

His playcalling was very suspect, and Mazzone made it worse. His offenses consisted of Inside Zones and Bubble Screens. Kyle Allen was the other kid that transferred. 

• Thanks 1
  • Downvote 1

3 minutes ago, MGNation92 said:

His playcalling was very suspect, and Mazzone made it worse. His offenses consisted of Inside Zones and Bubble Screens. Kyle Allen was the other kid that transferred. 

Kyle Allen.  Good call.
Not sure if Spavital is calling plays at WVU, but sans that weird IASt. loss, they're killing it offensively.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Just now, p_phelps said:

With all the talks going on about Seth leaving and his potential replacement it seems he already is gone. Not the case, so my question is what do we need to do to keep him?

Everything we need to do to keep him is either already done (highest-paid C-USA coach... paid enough to keep any other G5 school from poaching), or being done (facilities upgrades).
We don't have to worry about losing him to a school like Memphis.  That's not the worry. 
It's the schools we simply cannot compete with because we're not in a place to provide Littrell the opportunity to win a National Championship.   
We've done everything we need to do to keep him... UNTIL he identifies the P5 opportunity he wants.   That's it.

• Upvote 4