Seth Littrell Rumors Mega Thread

Cerebus

Hmmm... someho a  post of mine got moved into a separate thread, which was really weird. No clue how that happened. Deleted that thread.

Looks like Tech and OSU are staying pat.

Not too afraid of Kansas. I think Littrell is too expensive (making already 1.4 mil versus the 1.7 of their current coach) and it would take longer to build a competitive team there than taking over a better placed team after another successful season at NT. Are you really going for SL, if the "splash" hire Les Miles may be willing to do it for the same money with no buyout you gotta pay? Some on this board might, but I doubt that Jeff Long would .

Not afraid of Louisville. They want Brohm and their AD department is the kind of mess that is about to get worse before it gets better. Also They may well have some real financial troubles, depending on how things go with their fired Bball coach. Petrinos contract is also prohibitively expensive to buy out, they may actually not be able to fire him. If they do, they really HAVE to get their man, who is Brohm.

K-State could happen, but there are multiple "ifs", as first it isn't a given they move on from snyder, and second, it remains to be seen if they really go for non-Snyder person and even then they may not opt for Littrell but for example for Jim Leavitt.

I am still somewhat scared of UNC. They may well move on from their current coach and throw a good amount of money at Littrell. Then again, when schools fire coaches, often they go completely in another direction, and Littrell is not the other direction, seeing as

In sum, most worried about UNC, and slightly K-state, but overall chances of retaining SL for another season are good, as it seems that this will be a slow firing season compared to usual years (there might not be a single SEC firing!) and he already is paid highly enough that low end P5s have to really think about whether they can/want to shell out that kind of money rather than go with someone else, say Neal Brown.

2 hours ago, TheReal_jayD said:

That said, with virtually the entire offense returning next season I must pose the following question: Is now the best time for both parties Seth and UNT to part ways?

I've brought this up earlier this season in another thread. If we're going to lose him it needs to be this year with our core of leaders including Fine returning for their senior years. If not it needs to be in 2 years after SL would will have had the chance to establish new leaders but more importantly our new QB. The last thing we should want is to lose SL the same year we lose Fine, Bussey, Guyton, and others. Would be tough to have a new coach come in and have to figure out what he has at some key positions. A clean slate works after you've been struggling but this would be about maintaining momentum so I think it would be important for a new coach to come in with guys who have game experience.

That said, I would rather lose SL this year than in 2 years because it would give a new coach Fine to work with and then he could put in his QB the year after.

Edit: Obviously I would rather lose him in 5 years at least to keep building if he's going to be here a little while. For me it's almost leave after this year or stay for a bit but don't leave and put us in a bad spot. Also good points about bringing in an experienced coach to take this thing to the next level. With Wren being in charge of this thing I'm comfortable with us parting ways now as opposed to letting SL control the immediate future of the program.

Edited by GMG_Dallas
  • Upvote 1

I hope like you Seth will hang around a year or two more.  The reality is that we need a plan B for if he leaves.

Let me remind everyone that this is a problem we always wanted to have.  No one wanted Mac, Dodge or Dickey as a head coach quite honestly.  Johnny Jones is the only HC who was sought after around these parts in a long time.  So let us be grateful for that.

i hope that Wren will look for the best coach we can find and as Seth proved it does not have to be a current D-I HC.

Seth’s new agent is checking out the market as one would expect — I would also hope our leaders are putting together their game plan and lists as well.  We don’t want to be caught flat footed. GMG

2 hours ago, agw0038 said:

What are your thoughts on Briles? 

Did you intentionally leave him out? 

I know the majority of this board is completely against hiring him (I'm on the fence) but wouldn't he be a better option than the ones listed above?

I love baby briles. I think he is the best offensive mind in the country. Briles plus this offense is freaking scary. To many won't over look the past. Which is sad because other than asking a kid if he like white women (which is a legit question). His slate is clean. Someone will give Briles a shot eventually. I just hope it's not CUSA because he will be successful. Now I don't think briles will be one place for long. Think he is climbing the ladder. 

Edited by TheReal_jayD
  • Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Downvote 2

19 minutes ago, H-towngreen said:

I’m all in on Baby Briles if he’s available. Sorry his dad is an ass but that’s not on him

I've heard the apple didn't fall far.  I'm also out on Graham as he proved he is all about Todd Graham.

I am curious about a few on our staff to provide some continuity.  I know many are out on Harrell, but in my humble opinion, he is a safe gamble with ties all over the state.  I would also be curious about what people on here think about giving Mainord a shot.

• Upvote 3

13 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

I've heard the apple didn't fall far.  I'm also out on Graham as he proved he is all about Todd Graham.

I am curious about a few on our staff to provide some continuity.  I know many are out on Harrell, but in my humble opinion, he is a safe gamble with ties all over the state.  I would also be curious about what people on here think about giving Mainord a shot.

My dream scenario if Seth has to leave. 

Eric Morris HC/Play caller

Colby Carthal DC/assistant head coach

Tommy Mainord OC

Marty Biagi St

Choice RB

If you can hang on to those 3. You hang on to 95% of f19htclub guaranteed. 

I think baby briles is a genious. He has fine a guaranteed hiesman canidate and pushes over the top. But I don't think UNT has rep to over come Baylor enigma. Not that baby briles had any part. I think eric Morris is a very close behind briles in terms of offensive genius. 

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, p_phelps said:

What about Les Miles? Have we gotten big enough to get that kind of a fish?

Would be the same as getting Dan Mac in my opinion. Boring offense and old. Plus he never could find a quarterback at LSU which is one of the biggest programs in the country.

My only intrigue would be whether he would create enough buzz to attract enough size and talent to make up for his boring offense. If somehow Les Miles could bring an SEC caliber defense, offensive line, and TBs to C-USA then who cares what the offense is. We would punish every team in the conference. 

Question: would his name alone buy us a few spots in rankings and possibly get us more top 25 votes?

• Lovely Take 1
  • Thanks 1

To be as honest as possible, all this speculation is just tiring.  Let's focus on holding on to Littrell.  Honestly, why wouldn't these schools with openings go after the likes of Clark, Holtz, Dykes, Anderson, Brown, etc.. over Littrell?

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

1 minute ago, TheReal_jayD said:

A) This is not a Seth rumor topic. This is about what happens next 

B) that's a half a year more than Seth when he came. I am open to hear your targets!

A) this is EXACTLY what is being discussed in the megathread 

B) We hired SL under a previous regime with different money parameters and after one winning season in ten. I would argue that we can entice a better candidate pool. 

Also for comparison when we hired SL he had nearly twice the experience Morris now has. I am not sure we need to hand the keys over to a guy with less than a decade of coaching experience. 

I don’t have a list. I am just going to enjoy the season and whatever happens, happens. I think Wren will make a good hire and certainly has a list for this contingency. 

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 3
  • Downvote 4

5 minutes ago, 97and03 said:

A) this is EXACTLY what is being discussed in the megathread 

B) We hired SL under a previous regime with different money parameters and after one winning season in ten. I would argue that we can entice a better candidate pool. 

Also for comparison when we hired SL he had nearly twice the experience Morris now has. I am not sure we need to hand the keys over to a guy with less than a decade of coaching experience. 

I don’t have a list. I am just going to enjoy the season and whatever happens, happens. I think Wren will make a good hire and certainly has a list for this contingency. 

Sorry to take you away from you mega thread. Carry on.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 3
  • Downvote 1

12 hours ago, TheReal_jayD said:

My dream scenario if Seth has to leave. 

Eric Morris HC/Play caller

Colby Carthal DC/assistant head coach

Tommy Mainord OC

Marty Biagi St

Choice RB

If you can hang on to those 3. You hang on to 95% of f19htclub guaranteed. 

I think baby briles is a genious. He has fine a guaranteed hiesman canidate and pushes over the top. But I don't think UNT has rep to over come Baylor enigma. Not that baby briles had any part. I think eric Morris is a very close behind briles in terms of offensive genius. 

This right here...   in December 2019.   I'd be all for Carthel as DC if Reff leaves.  
Not 100% sure Morris is the guy quite yet.  I'd like to make sure he can build on what he's done this season in 2019.   There's a lot of inconsistency there right now.  Challenge for the SLC title again next season, and yeah, I'm game.   I'd also throw coach Brown in that list of returners.  Great coach/recruiter.
I bet if Littrell leaves, Harrell goes with him, as does Filani, Yellock & Koonz.  I would not be surprised if Mainord went too, that's why it would be critical to get him up to OC if we want him to stay.