Seth Littrell Rumors Mega Thread

Cerebus

9 hours ago, untbowler said:

if Seth leaves please take GH with him, do not him to even sniff the HC position, IMO Seth is still at least a year away from being ready. 

He still needs that signature win, i.e. Bowl Win and/or Conference Title Game.

I’m with you on the second part. I don’t think his resume is strong enough to leap frog some other potential candidates. He’s done a great job here, there is no arguing that. 

12 hours ago, southsideguy said:

if litrrell was staying he would have said so by now.  I just hope the players let down knowing he is out the door.

He has said many times that he is happy here and isn't looking to leave.  The head of our BOR has publicly stated that he is ready to pay SL to stay. 

Once again, this thread is an ass whippin'.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

He has said many times that he is happy here and isn't looking to leave.  The head of our BOR has publicly stated that he is ready to pay SL to stay. 

Once again, this thread is an ass whippin'.

Of course he's going to say he's happy here!   Are you serious?   What on Earth do you EXPECT him to say?   
"You know, I like it here, for now, it's a great opportunity to build up my credentials & my family is close.  The leadership has made me one of the highest-paid coaches in the G5, and this University is giving me all of the tools I need to succeed here...  But I have a high-powered agent out there looking around for me.  The 'G5' level of football is not where I see my career capping-out."   
I mean, how honest do you want him to be?

As for Brint's charge, we already pay Littrell enough.   He's paid enough now to forgo leaving for any other G5 school.    That's as far as we need to pay him.  Period, unless he puts us in Boise territory of constantly being a contender as the best G5 school in the NCAA... which, by then, he'll be gone anyway.  
If Brint pays much more, he's bidding against himself, because he's not going to outbid an opportunity to win a National Championship in the P5... EVER EVER EVER.   Ask Trevor Fertitta who said the same thing about Herman & Sumlin & Briles.......

Once again, be prepared.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Downvote 1

4 minutes ago, outoftown said:

Looks like Tech and OSU are staying pat.

Not too afraid of Kansas (I think Littrell is too expensive making already 1.4 mil versus the 1.7 of their current coach) and it would take longer to build a competitive team there than taking over a better placed team after another successful season at NT.

Not afraid of Louisville. They want Brohm and their AD department is the kind of mess that is about to get worse before it gets better.

K-State could happen, but there are multiple "ifs", as first it isn't a given they move on from snyder, and second, it remains to be seen if they really go for non-Snyder person and even then they may not opt for Littrell but for example for Jim Leavitt.

I am still somewhat scared of UNC. They may well move on from their current coach and throw a good amount of money at Littrell.

In sum, most worried about UNC, and slightly K-state, but overall chances of retaining SL for another season are good, as it seems that this will be a slow firing season compared to usual years (there might not be a single SEC firing!) and he already is paid highly enough that low end P5s have to really think about whether they can/want to shell out that kind of money rather than go with someone else, say Neal Brown.

I think if Kansas decided they wanted to get somewhat serious, and increase the pay of their football coach, they absolutely could. 
But yeah, I bet Littrell would demand a lot more compensation than simply a $300k/yr increase & a full buyout from them before considering a jump there.

21 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

I think if Kansas decided they wanted to get somewhat serious, and increase the pay of their football coach, they absolutely could. 
But yeah, I bet Littrell would demand a lot more compensation than simply a $300k/yr increase & a full buyout from them before considering a jump there.

Morris got $3.5m from Arkansas. I could easily see Seth getting 5yr $20m deal. Proven OC in P5, proven HC and now maybe a proven recruiter. Waiting another year and getting another top recruitingclass would make a big difference in his offers.

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, oldguystudent said:

Before this gets merged with the mega thread, Todd Graham will leave a program 13 minutes after signing a contract if he sniffs another dollar at another program. 

You mean he's like this?

200.gif?cid=3640f6095be094444849626855bc

• Haha 1

35 minutes ago, TheReal_jayD said:

A disclaimer before you read this: I am one of the biggest Seth Littrell homers ever and have been that way since day one.  I would hate to see him go as much as anybody. One of the main reasons is it would almost automatically mean that the # 1 Recruiting Class in Conference-USA (according to 247sports) would dissolve in Thanos-like fashion. Also, it would be a gut punch to the momentum and culture Seth and Co. has built from the ground up. That said, with virtually the entire offense returning next season I must pose the following question: Is now the best time for both parties Seth and UNT to part ways?

I know many of you are shaking your head right about now.  Seth has built something here that has rarely been seen in North Texas football’s 100-year history.   Even so, would it not be better to have a new coach in place to hit the ground running next year with what looks like could be a top G5 roster as opposed to 2020 when the cupboard could be bare and you lose your all-conference QB, 2 WR, 2 TE, 2 OL, Hambone, Khari and English on the defensive side?

We know 2 things for sure. North Texas is a much more attractive job today than it was when Seth was hired for several reasons. The coaching compensation has improved, as have the facilities with the indoor practice facility now being built.  Most of all, the roster is miles ahead of where it was after McCarney left. There will be plenty of quality candidates that will apply for the position. And Wren has proven to us with the hiring of Grant Mccasland he is not afraid to go and getting a sitting D1 head coach.  Does Wren go back to Jonesboro and go after their excellent football head coach Blake Anderson? It might be a hard sell since Blake’s hometown is Jonesboro. Or does Wren go a different route and get a proven winner that is a retread? Finally, does he go the Seth route and get a P5 OC and hope he learns on the job as fast as Seth did (I don’t think this happens, I think with this roster you get a guy who has been a head coach before because this roster is ready to win).

If he goes with G5 head coach two names come to mind, Neal Brown at Troy and earlier mentioned Blake Anderson at Arkansas State. I don’t think this happening just due to both are at schools they are winning at and the increase in salary alone will not be enough to justify moving to another G5 school. With Neal you could argue it was a step back if you watched him dismantle us in the New Orleans bowl last year.  Blake would be am even harder sale in my opinion due to the fact Jonesboro is his hometown. He is also struggling this year, so I don’t know how hot of a hire he would be. There could be other options but those are two that come to mind that meet the young, Texas Ties and successful Head criteria that I think will be required. (please comment with your names you would like to see considered).

An option that I think could be considered is hiring a retread along the lines of Sonny Dykes and Skip Holtz when they were hired at SMU and La Tech respectfully. Both had had success at G5 level but were relieved of duties at the jobs they held prior. Skip has turned La Tech into a CUSA contender year in and year out. And he has now won 4 straight bowl games.  Sonny looks like he has turned a corner at SMU after beating a ranked Houston team this weekend. One name that sticks out to me is a DFW local in Todd Graham. He was relieved of his duties at Arizona State and has taken this season off. But he has had great success in his career. In 12 years of being a Head Coach he led his team to bowl games in 10 of the 12 years and winning 5 of the bowl games.  He also has got to the 10-win plateau 5 times in the 12 years. Side note, he has won more C-USA west titles (three) than North Texas (one) has as a program. I think the year away from the game could help. Graham certainly has his critics and it may be that Wren does not have a good personal connection with him.

Two names that have been brought up a lot here lately on the board are Colby Carthel (Texas A&M Commerce HC) and Eric Morris (Incarnate Word HC) and they are probably my two favorite choices.  Here’s my question -- why can we not have them both? Now hear me out here. Eric Morris has proven this season he can lead a program as a head coach and can also put up some points. He took over Incarnate Word that won one game last season. He won his 5th game this weekend with 3 games left to play. He has also said that he likes the defense that Colby Carthel coaches as he hired the Texas A & M Commerce Defensive Coordinator after Carthel led the Lions to a National Championship last season.  

Questions have been raised about Carthel making the Jump from D2 all the way to FBS. But questions have never been raised about his ability to coach defense. So, my proposal is to Hire Eric as the HC/OC to replace Seth. Then hire Coach Carthel as the DC/ Coach in waiting so he can get some experience at the FBS level. Because he has proven he and lead and win games. It will also give him a shot to get FBS experience. I think this is doable financially. You are currently paying Seth in the 1.5 million dollar range and Graham 300K+ range. I don’t have the numbers for Eric but I bet he could be got for around 1.2. Colby is making 200k at Commerce so you could easily double his money and have your HC and both coordinators filled with 2 top notch options.

I hope Seth stays for the next 20 Years becomes our Bill Snyder, we rename the stadium, “Seth Littrell Stadium” and we are playing in the new Big 12 with 50k+ in attendance.  The truth is I doubt that happens and the news of the new agent hired by Littrell throws up a lot of red flags for me. I am just saying it would be nice to be ahead of the curve instead being behind. Ill hang up and listen. #GMG

Ugh did you really bring up Todd Graham out of all people? You remember what he did to Rice o Roni down in Houston right ? I’m disgusted right now 

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Big Z said:

Ugh did you really bring up Todd Graham out of all people? You remember what he did to Rice o Roni down in Houston right ? I’m disgusted right now 

Can you blame him? He was like Sonny Dykes heading for greenier pastures. But once you realluze job security is more important I think he is changed. With his winning ways I would take a chance.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, TheReal_jayD said:

Can you blame him? He was like Sonny Dykes heading for greenier pastures. But once you realluze job security is more important I think he is changed. With his winning ways I would take a chance.

I want up and coming young coaches rather than these recycled coaches. Ones like Seth who are hungry and bring creativeness to the program. Todd Graham would be McCarney 2.0

Edited by Big Z
  • Upvote 2