Seth Littrell Rumors Mega Thread

Cerebus

58 minutes ago, Cerebus said:

Getting in with the B12 leftovers would, probably:

• Get us a better media contract. The non P4 contract money is never going to be the same as the big boys, but the ex-B12 conference is probably going to have the best one.  
  • More name recognition against opponents.  There is no doubt that games against teams like SMU and UH still draw more recognition from the local fans, even though the SWC died almost 25 years ago.  
  • Who has brought the most visiting fans?  Teams like Baylor and Houston.  Wouldn't it be nice to play them every year?  
  • Water cooler talk.   It hard to get pumped up playing FIU or MTSU when you've never even met a single person who went there.  But how many of us could trash talk Tech or UH co-workers/neighbors/family.  That creates buy in.  

So, if you the only "benefit" you see is "getting into a P5/P4 conference."  Then no, I don't see any path for us.  But just like CUSA is a better for us than the SBC, which was a better conference for us than the Big West, being a part of the ex-B12 conference would be another step up.  

Again, you're making a huge leap that we get in with any B12 leftovers. I haven't even heard a reason why the B12 breaks up. UT and OU aren't going to the PAC12, their shine is way off. 

Then there's the assumption that realignment works out for us, who says it does? 

Realignment rarely makes sense so anything is possible but besides this message board I've never seen any talk that this might happen. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, greenminer said:

I like this topic.  My question would be: is there reason to think their conference mates don't like having SMU around?

What about straight-up including the entirety of the DFW market and including all three teams? It could be marketed as an incredibly cool and unique aspect to the conference. The media moguls out of Irving would certainly recognize the inherent value of keeping our market's eyes glued to the TV and stands week in and out as well. 

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, meanrob said:

Again, you're making a huge leap that we get in with any B12 leftovers. I haven't even heard a reason why the B12 breaks up. UT and OU aren't going to the PAC12, their shine is way off. 

Then there's the assumption that realignment works out for us, who says it does? 

Realignment rarely makes sense so anything is possible but besides this message board I've never seen any talk that this might happen. 

Paging @Arkstfan

48 minutes ago, Wag Tag said:

I had thought that if the offence kept it strong after the four games that Graham would be the first to leave. That is not going to happen. Our OC and DC return, I don't know about the positions coaches. Kootz has done a great job with the linebackers.

As for asst coaches, you're spot on with coach Koonz. I'm worried we lose him this offseason.
I think coach Yellock is taking his talent and doing a great job with it as well.
The players LOVE coach Choice.

• Lovely Take 1

17 hours ago, meanrob said:

Its possible--maybe even more possible than it has ever been--that the Big XII survives as is. They all seem to like the money they get by only having ten teams. The Pac-12 is a disaster right now. Their network has been a colossal failure (like the LHN has been) and they aren't getting much traction across college media these days.

I still think that the Pac is where the Texoma Four will end up , though. I believe the Pac will allow the LHN to stick around just to get Texas, which also gets Oklahoma, too. The two little brothers join them to get to 16. Its about as obvious as possible that KU will be a B1G property when the next realignment occurs, since they are an AAU school with a great revenue sport and a nice TV market, while also giving the western B1G schools another nice opponent that is close by. I have always believed that if the B1G can get Mizzou to also join them, that would make the most sense to get them to 16. 

The ACC will eventually get take in WVU, while also keeping ND in some sort of quasi-football connection. The SEC could look at adding KSU at that point to make up for the loss of Mizzou, but the other three are just shit outta luck at this point. Those three probably just join the MWC or AAC at that point, with TCU and BU going west, with ISU going East. That gives the MWC 14 teams and the AAC would have 13 football members. The AAC would have to add a team to be at 14, so I'd guess it would be someone in the middle of the country, which would probably be MTSU. We would probably then add in a SBC team to get back to 14. 

On 10/30/2018 at 3:57 PM, TheReal_jayD said:

I dont think the goal of Wren and co is to join the AAC. But yet to be in the front of the line when the Big 12 dissolves. The Baylors, TCU and Tech are going to be looking to create a new conference.  If thing continue with new denton the way things are headed. I believe UNT will be a choice before SMU. If football conitues to win and we can keep 28k plus at every game. Basketball men and womens continue to be near the top. I think that is where Wren and co are sitting sights on. instead of just joining the AAC. Because major shake up is coming and i believe we will be in good shape.

I think the goal is to move upward. I don't see UNT leapfrogging the two AAC schools in Texas for Big 12 from CUSA. If you look at TCU, they went WAC to MWC to Big East to Big 12. For this reason, I'd take MWC or AAC invite if offered.

• Lovely Take 1

11 hours ago, meangreenJW said:

I think the goal is to move upward. I don't see UNT leapfrogging the two AAC schools in Texas for Big 12 from CUSA. If you look at TCU, they went WAC to MWC to Big East to Big 12. For this reason, I'd take MWC or AAC invite if offered.

Either way...  we'll be moving up when the shakeup happens.

If we can put our house together and keep it consistent, we'll be in a good position to join Houston (and maybe SMU) with the Big12 leftovers.
If no, we should at least be in a good position to jump into the AAC.

If the shakeup happens and NT remains in C-USA while other G5 schools move around, Wren Baker did something catastrophic.

Win where we are now.   Take the MWC or AAC invite if it comes before the shakeup (doubtful), and win there too...  then be ready to campaign to join the Big12 leftovers.

12 hours ago, meangreenJW said:

One minor, meaningless correction regarding TCU.  They were affiliated with CUSA at one time.

Past conferences Mountain West (2005–2011)
C-USA (2001–2004)
WAC (1996–2000)
SWC (1923–1995)

3 hours ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Either way...  we'll be moving up when the shakeup happens.

If we can put our house together and keep it consistent, we'll be in a good position to join Houston (and maybe SMU) with the Big12 leftovers.
If no, we should at least be in a good position to jump into the AAC.

If the shakeup happens and NT remains in C-USA while other G5 schools move around, Wren Baker did something catastrophic.

Win where we are now.   Take the MWC or AAC invite if it comes before the shakeup (doubtful), and win there too...  then be ready to campaign to join the Big12 leftovers.

So, just to play Devil's Advocate here, its not inconceivable to see us being stuck in CUSA for a long time.

The Big XII implodes, the AAC takes in Iowa State and Kansas State, while the MWC adds in Baylor and TCU, voila, nothing changes. 

Or the Big XII big boys leave (UT, OU, and KU) and leave behind everyone else, so the leftovers keep the conference together, but add in Cincy, Houston, USF, UCF, and Memphis. That gets them to actually being a 12 team conference again. But it decimates the AAC, which has to get 5 new members. With SMU still there, the DFW market is still covered in their minds, so they add in Rice to replace UH, FAU and FIU to replace USF and UCF, MUTS to replace Memphis, and a MAC school to replace Cincy. 

As long as TV controls the decision making for the leadership of the G5 conferences, we won't see market sharing anytime soon. Thus, we deal with SMU being in the AAC, TCU being in the Big 12/MWC, and us being in CUSA. 

Again, for the umpteenth time, this is why a few of us are so high on the MWC in its current state. If there was any way to go out there for us, we have to take it, even if it pisses off the large majority of the fanbase. Its the only way to see a clear path forward that can get around SMU and TCU...

• Lovely Take 1

2 minutes ago, untjim1995 said:

So, just to play Devil's Advocate here, its not inconceivable to see us being stuck in CUSA for a long time.

The Big XII implodes, the AAC takes in Iowa State and Kansas State, while the MWC adds in Baylor and TCU, voila, nothing changes. 

Or the Big XII big boys leave (UT, OU, and KU) and leave behind everyone else, so the leftovers keep the conference together, but add in Cincy, Houston, USF, UCF, and Memphis. That gets them to actually being a 12 team conference again. But it decimates the AAC, which has to get 5 new members. With SMU still there, the DFW market is still covered in their minds, so they add in Rice to replace UH, FAU and FIU to replace USF and UCF, MUTS to replace Memphis, and a MAC school to replace Cincy. 

As long as TV controls the decision making for the leadership of the G5 conferences, we won't see market sharing anytime soon. Thus, we deal with SMU being in the AAC, TCU being in the Big 12/MWC, and us being in CUSA. 

Again, for the umpteenth time, this is why a few of us are so high on the MWC in its current state. If there was any way to go out there for us, we have to take it, even if it pisses off the large majority of the fanbase. Its the only way to see a clear path forward that can get around SMU and TCU...

Remember, OSU & OU are tied at the hip via Oklahoma's legislature.   Anywhere one goes, the other must follow.
Tech is owed nothing if Texas joins a different conference, so they're also open to join somewhere.  And don't forget WVU. There are many pieces.   Jayhawks would likely join the B1G for their B-ball.

All that to say, sure!  I suppose there's a way the former Big12 leftovers would just assimilate into existing conferences as you describe.  That would be a nightmare scenario for us.  I just don't see that happening.

I would be willing to bet we see at least one new conference formed at the G5 level when it all happens.   And the Big12 leftovers will be the drivers. 
Why would they need to split up when just about every other G5 school would drop everything to join them?  They'll cherry pick who they want in their new top-tier G5 conference, and if we position ourselves right over the next 6 years, we'll be in the mix.   Just need to have our finances in order for the C-USA buyout.

• Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 1

6 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Remember, OSU & OU are tied at the hip via Oklahoma's legislature.   Anywhere one goes, the other must follow.
Tech is owed nothing if Texas joins a different conference, so they're also open to join somewhere.  And don't forget WVU. There are many pieces.   Jayhawks would likely join the B1G for their B-ball.

All that to say, sure!  I suppose there's a way the former Big12 leftovers would just assimilate into existing conferences as you describe.  That would be a nightmare scenario for us.  I just don't see that happening.

I would be willing to bet we see at least one new conference formed at the G5 level when it all happens.   And the Big12 leftovers will be the drivers. 
Why would they need to split up when just about every other G5 school would drop everything to join them?  They'll cherry pick who they want in their new top-tier G5 conference, and if we position ourselves right over the next 6 years, we'll be in the mix.   Just need to have our finances in order for the C-USA buyout.

We both agree on the MWC being a solid choice if we ever get that chance...

• Lovely Take 1

I haven’t posted in along time but I’m going to put this right here.  My family is also a long time K-State season ticket holder and Manhattan is my hometown.  Anyone who knows me knows my story... we adopted North Texas when Apogee opened and love North Texas.   

I’ll tell you right now this is true and wouldn’t be surprised if things materialize quickly   

Seth Littrell's agent has been in Manhattan twice recently in the last few weeks, including within the last 7 days.

• Upvote 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 1

12 minutes ago, smoothfresh said:

I haven’t posted in along time but I’m going to put this right here.  My family is also a long time K-State season ticket holder and Manhattan is my hometown.  Anyone who knows me knows my story... we adopted North Texas when Apogee opened and love North Texas.   

I’ll tell you right now this is true and wouldn’t be surprised if things materialize quickly   

Seth Littrell's agent has been in Manhattan twice recently in the last few weeks, including within the last 7 days.

Yeah, but is KS St. a school everyone here is OK with?

Also, Seth Littrell's agent, Jimmy Sexton, is pretty much everywhere, and represents a lot of coaches.   So he could be there for Seth, or he could be there for someone else.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Mean Green 93-98 said:

If you're saying we here at gmg.com get veto power (not just Vito power), I'll go ahead and say "no" to K-State.  And Tech.  And OU.  And Alabama.

More of a rhetorical question for those who like to judge other schools as, "where coaching careers go to die", "always be a basketball school", etc....

22 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

More of a rhetorical question for those who like to judge other schools as, "where coaching careers go to die", "always be a basketball school", etc....

No, I wouldn't say that about K-State.  That's KU.  That said, it would be a challenge to win consistently there, much less have a shot at a national title.  I wouldn't blame SL for taking it, though.