Seth Littrell Rumors Mega Thread

Cerebus

4 hours ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

This would be fantastic for us.   
1. I don't think the OU donors are ready to seriously consider Seth.   Maybe if we went 13-0... but we didn't. 
2. If he somehow is considered/hired, then we are in a fantastic position to take a huge buyout to turn around & money-whip a hotshot P5 coordinator to come take over.  Tee Martin?  Mario Cristobal?

Kendall Briles might be the best OC in the country. Would coming from a school with similar size . He would be familiar to HS Coaches in recruiting.

• Lovely Take 1

5 hours ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

I'm a little skeptical on this. 

$2mil/yr is plenty (like, needs to be the cap) to keep Littrell here until we actually DO move up in competition level.   At this point, we're basically bidding against ourselves.   We're certainly not bidding against P5 schools, because if the right opportunity comes up, he's going to leave no matter what Brint's balance sheet looks like.
OU could offer him $1mil/yr ($.4mil less than what he makes here already) and he's going to take that job.   

It's not about the money y'all.    If he were making $600k, then yeah, we'd have to worry about a G5 higher up the pecking order coming to get him, but he makes plenty here to keep any/all G5's away.   And when it comes to P5's, money is not the problem (they can all match/exceed what we pay, even if over $2mil), it's the opportunity.

I agree with part of this. I think what you are saying applies for a good job. I don't think it applies for any job. For instance, I know you think there's a chance he takes Kansas. I'd wager whatever I could scratch up that doesn't happen. But if a job opens up that's a middle of it's league or higher power 5 job, I think he takes it. Sadly, right now G5 programs have ZERO shot at a natty. And all coaches (I assume) want a shot at a natty. For the most part, the lower end P5 schools also pay the lowest amount. So KU for instance, currently pays $2 million. I think Seth stays here for even a modest raise (maybe $1.75 million) vs a KU offer of $2-$3 million. Now if TCU was open and offered $3-$4 million, he's gone. TCU has demonstrated they can compete nationally and the money is double. He's gone in my opinion. Switching leagues, I don't think there's any way he takes Rutgers. But Illinois if they pay him enough and his assistants enough, they might have a chance. 

So I think it is smart to be aggressive. But I agree that $2 million should be the absolute max. Anything beyond that is overpaying when it isn't going to ward off the good jobs. In other words, if his performance is good enough to warrant that kind of $$$ then he's done well enough to get one of the jobs I think he would take. Pay him $1.75 million (in line with highest G5s) and put the rest in the assistants pool or facilities or other sports who desperately need it. 

Last thing, I would assume the more we pay him the higher his buyout is. So maybe we get some of that $$$ back?

• Lovely Take 1

4 hours ago, Cr1028 said:

That’s a very #OldDenton way to look at things. We are just little old North Texas after all, that commuter school north of Dallas. Thankfully Smatresk and Wren Baker don’t just throw their hands up and quit at the first sign of adversity. 

Nothing #OldDenton about it.

North Texas is a G5 school, when you have an undefeated G5 school for 2 years capped at #10 in the polls, it’s a clue that you’re not going to ever get an opportunity to coach a national champion.  You have to go somewhere else to do that.  Unfortunately, that’s where the money makes no difference.  If he gets a P5 opportunity he likes, he’s going to take it.

Now, am I glad that folks are stepping up to make sure SMU or Houston or the like... never hires him?  Yeah!  That was a legit concern after year 1.  It’s not anymore.

26 minutes ago, meangreenJW said:

I agree with part of this. I think what you are saying applies for a good job. I don't think it applies for any job. For instance, I know you think there's a chance he takes Kansas. I'd wager whatever I could scratch up that doesn't happen. But if a job opens up that's a middle of it's league or higher power 5 job, I think he takes it. Sadly, right now G5 programs have ZERO shot at a natty. And all coaches (I assume) want a shot at a natty. For the most part, the lower end P5 schools also pay the lowest amount. So KU for instance, currently pays $2 million. I think Seth stays here for even a modest raise (maybe $1.75 million) vs a KU offer of $2-$3 million. Now if TCU was open and offered $3-$4 million, he's gone. TCU has demonstrated they can compete nationally and the money is double. He's gone in my opinion. Switching leagues, I don't think there's any way he takes Rutgers. But Illinois if they pay him enough and his assistants enough, they might have a chance. 

So I think it is smart to be aggressive. But I agree that $2 million should be the absolute max. Anything beyond that is overpaying when it isn't going to ward off the good jobs. In other words, if his performance is good enough to warrant that kind of $$$ then he's done well enough to get one of the jobs I think he would take. Pay him $1.75 million (in line with highest G5s) and put the rest in the assistants pool or facilities or other sports who desperately need it. 

Last thing, I would assume the more we pay him the higher his buyout is. So maybe we get some of that $$$ back?

I only say that about Kansas because he’s the kind of guy who would believe in himself enough to give it a try.  Would other offers come available if he sits pat?  Probably.  Will he pass on KS?  I hope so, because I probably would... but I have no idea what he’d do.   He was crazy enough to take our job!

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, greenminer said:

The rumor mill won’t stop. Might as well consolidate it into a single source.

Oh, I agree with that, but why pin it to the top of the first page?  Just what people want to see when they open up the football forum is a thread dedicated to our coach leaving.  Just unpin it. 

• Lovely Take 1

10 hours ago, GreenN'walinsVet said:

Do you overpay (2 mil +) not so much because your overpaying Litrell as much as signaling to the rest of the nations coaches that you are serious, thus getting a much better candidate pool?

Yes. That plus signaling to AAC and MWC that North Texas is ready for a call up. Everyone should go back and re-read that consultants report from when the AD transition took place. There is a master plan strategy behind all this. #NewDenton

• Upvote 2
  • Lovely Take 1

2 hours ago, Green Lantern said:

Yes. That plus signaling to AAC and MWC that North Texas is ready for a call up. Everyone should go back and re-read that consultants report from when the AD transition took place. There is a master plan strategy behind all this. #NewDenton

So here's the problem with that. The AAC isn't adding another team to the same TV market they already have a presence in (SMU). And the fans on here have it made it overwhelmingly clear that they want nothing to do with the MWC (ask @MeanGreenTexan) because they believe it will be the Big West all over again (SMH...). I have been on record that the MWC is the best possible spot for us now, both because of their other conference members and our presence here in Texas to compete with the teams out west (think TCU before the Big XII). I also recognize that I am clearly in the minority on this. Are fans have made it ABUNDANTLY clear that they want games that are close enough to travel to see us play. I get that, too, but I think its a ceiling to our potential, to be real honest.

• Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 1

22 minutes ago, untjim1995 said:

Just like your school loses good coaches when the time comes to leave...

Worst comeback ever. “Well your school keeps winning and the coaches get hired away! So there!” 

Shit, I wish we had that problem. 

4 hours ago, untjim1995 said:

So here's the problem with that. The AAC isn't adding another team to the same TV market they already have a presence in (SMU). And the fans on here have it made it overwhelmingly clear that they want nothing to do with the MWC (ask @MeanGreenTexan) because they believe it will be the Big West all over again (SMH...). I have been on record that the MWC is the best possible spot for us now, both because of their other conference members and our presence here in Texas to compete with the teams out west (think TCU before the Big XII). I also recognize that I am clearly in the minority on this. Are fans have made it ABUNDANTLY clear that they want games that are close enough to travel to see us play. I get that, too, but I think its a ceiling to our potential, to be real honest.

I dont think the goal of Wren and co is to join the AAC. But yet to be in the front of the line when the Big 12 dissolves. The Baylors, TCU and Tech are going to be looking to create a new conference.  If thing continue with new denton the way things are headed. I believe UNT will be a choice before SMU. If football conitues to win and we can keep 28k plus at every game. Basketball men and womens continue to be near the top. I think that is where Wren and co are sitting sights on. instead of just joining the AAC. Because major shake up is coming and i believe we will be in good shape.

• Lovely Take 2
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, TheReal_jayD said:

I dont think the goal of Wren and co is to join the AAC. But yet to be in the front of the line when the Big 12 dissolves. The Baylors, TCU and Tech are going to be looking to create a new conference.  If thing continue with new denton the way things are headed. I believe UNT will be a choice before SMU. If football conitues to win and we can keep 28k plus at every game. Basketball men and womens continue to be near the top. I think that is where Wren and co are sitting sights on. instead of just joining the AAC. Because major shake up is coming and i believe we will be in good shape.

If the Big 12 goes away any new conference won't be part of the new P4 and will be on the outside looking in. Without the Big 12, Baylor is Tulane. TCU won't be much better. It might be a better conference geographically but it won't get a better TV deal than the AAC has. Still haven't heard a logical explanation of how any re-alignment benefits us unless we get into the Big 12 and I don't see that happening. Better improve our lot as is because we won't be part of any P4. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, untjim1995 said:

It was more of a statement than a comeback...when G5s win, they tend to lose their coaches...

Agree.  But we can also get into a position like Boise State has done.  Winning records, win their bowl games(usually), lose their coach, then RELOAD with a new coach!!!  REBOOT!

• Lovely Take 2

9 minutes ago, meanrob said:

Still haven't heard a logical explanation of how any re-alignment benefits us unless we get into the Big 12 and I don't see that happening. 

Getting in with the B12 leftovers would, probably:

• Get us a better media contract. The non P4 contract money is never going to be the same as the big boys, but the ex-B12 conference is probably going to have the best one.  
  • More name recognition against opponents.  There is no doubt that games against teams like SMU and UH still draw more recognition from the local fans, even though the SWC died almost 25 years ago.  
  • Who has brought the most visiting fans?  Teams like Baylor and Houston.  Wouldn't it be nice to play them every year?  
  • Water cooler talk.   It hard to get pumped up playing FIU or MTSU when you've never even met a single person who went there.  But how many of us could trash talk Tech or UH co-workers/neighbors/family.  That creates buy in.  

So, if you the only "benefit" you see is "getting into a P5/P4 conference."  Then no, I don't see any path for us.  But just like CUSA is a better for us than the SBC, which was a better conference for us than the Big West, being a part of the ex-B12 conference would be another step up.  

1 hour ago, TheReal_jayD said:

If thing continue with new denton the way things are headed. I believe UNT will be a choice before SMU. If football conitues to win and we can keep 28k plus at every game. Basketball men and womens continue to be near the top. I think that is where Wren and co are sitting sights on. instead of just joining the AAC. Because major shake up is coming and i believe we will be in good shape.

I like this topic.  My question would be: is there reason to think their conference mates don't like having SMU around?

• Upvote 1