Seth Littrell Rumors Mega Thread

Cerebus

Mentioned to me by a major donor that Seth will get a raise that will put him in the $2m range. I had mentioned he is already the highest paid coach in c C-USA! He says that is not the conference UNT wants to compete in ! They believe the timing is now to make the push for better. They hope to keep Seth at least another 3 years especially with the recruiting that is happening, the IPF and hopefully the new athletic facility on the horizon! If he leaves then they  believe we will have a very successful and attractive football program! Timing is now! GMG 

• Upvote 3
  • Lovely Take 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Ray 2
  • Confused 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 2
  • Downvote 1

Rumors are that the Cleveland Browns are looking to hire Lincoln Riley away from OU.  No idea if it would happen but they could pay him stupid money.  Better to get Seth lined up now as opposed to later as even if OU doesn't hire him away it could be another P5.  At least make it hard for a mid tier P5 to poach him is what I am saying!

1 hour ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Forgot Taggart left.
Heck, Taggart may be available after this season.

If Taggart has the type of contract that would pay him the contract out minus whatever he makes at his next job, maybe we could get him on the cheap for the first few years and backload the contract. 

1 minute ago, Harry said:

Rumors are that the Cleveland Browns are looking to hire Lincoln Riley away from OU.  No idea if it would happen but they could pay him stupid money.  Better to get Seth lined up now as opposed to later as even if OU doesn't hire him away it could be another P5.  At least make it hard for a mid tier P5 to poach him is what I am saying!

I'm a little skeptical on this. 

$2mil/yr is plenty (like, needs to be the cap) to keep Littrell here until we actually DO move up in competition level.   At this point, we're basically bidding against ourselves.   We're certainly not bidding against P5 schools, because if the right opportunity comes up, he's going to leave no matter what Brint's balance sheet looks like.
OU could offer him $1mil/yr ($.4mil less than what he makes here already) and he's going to take that job.   

It's not about the money y'all.    If he were making $600k, then yeah, we'd have to worry about a G5 higher up the pecking order coming to get him, but he makes plenty here to keep any/all G5's away.   And when it comes to P5's, money is not the problem (they can all match/exceed what we pay, even if over $2mil), it's the opportunity.

• Upvote 2
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Downvote 1

8 minutes ago, 97and03 said:

If Taggart has the type of contract that would pay him the contract out minus whatever he makes at his next job, maybe we could get him on the cheap for the first few years and backload the contract. 

He'd probably go back to his Alma Mater & bring them back up to prominence before he came here.

5 minutes ago, drex said:

Just look back and remember all the empty seats at Homecoming and tell yourself Seth did not notice that.  Seth has delivered the goods and the North Texas community has not.

Could it be that the North Texas community has unrealistic expectations that Seth has not met yet? Maybe a bowl win, or conference championship win, or an undefeated season? Question. No info.

We go into homecoming 8-0 that place is sold out. Period.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 2

11 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

At this point, we're basically bidding against ourselves.   We're certainly not bidding against P5 schools, because if the right opportunity comes up, he's going to leave no matter what Brint's balance sheet looks like.

I would expect the buyout amount to go up with the base salary.  

9 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

"all the empty seats..?"     I didn't think the stadium was all that empty.

I mean we're gonna set the all time attendance record for North Texas for the 2nd year in a row by a sizable margin.  This with 2 significantly weather affected games (1 against an FCS squad).  I was a little disappointed in this past weekend's showing given what had come before with SMU and La Tech, but that's a reason moving forward that we should actively avoid early kicks at every opportunity. 

For the most part, the fans have done their part.  For the most part, the team and coaches have done their part.  Things are still looking up.

• Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 3

2 hours ago, Wag Tag said:

Mentioned to me by a major donor that Seth will get a raise that will put him in the $2m range. I had mentioned he is already the highest paid coach in c C-USA! He says that is not the conference UNT wants to compete in ! They believe the timing is now to make the push for better. They hope to keep Seth at least another 3 years especially with the recruiting that is happening, the IPF and hopefully the new athletic facility on the horizon! If he leaves then they  believe we will have a very successful and attractive football program! Timing is now! GMG 

Were you and this major donor hanging out at Zebra Head?

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

I'm a little skeptical on this. 

$2mil/yr is plenty (like, needs to be the cap) to keep Littrell here until we actually DO move up in competition level.   At this point, we're basically bidding against ourselves.   We're certainly not bidding against P5 schools, because if the right opportunity comes up, he's going to leave no matter what Brint's balance sheet looks like.
OU could offer him $1mil/yr ($.4mil less than what he makes here already) and he's going to take that job.   

It's not about the money y'all.    If he were making $600k, then yeah, we'd have to worry about a G5 higher up the pecking order coming to get him, but he makes plenty here to keep any/all G5's away.   And when it comes to P5's, money is not the problem (they can all match/exceed what we pay, even if over $2mil), it's the opportunity.

That’s a very #OldDenton way to look at things. We are just little old North Texas after all, that commuter school north of Dallas. Thankfully Smatresk and Wren Baker don’t just throw their hands up and quit at the first sign of adversity. 

On 10/26/2018 at 8:17 AM, Aldo said:

While we're at it, why is it that the people think the McRib is a good sammich? It is not a good sammich I tell you.

I'd rather eat a burger that gives me nightmares.

I love the McRib.  I can’t make sense of it so I won’t try.  I will just wear the scarlet M  proudly as I order another one.  

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1