Seth Littrell Rumors Mega Thread

Cerebus

On 9/20/2018 at 2:52 PM, MeanGreenTexan said:

Seriously?
Until UNT is in a Power 5 conference, it's not "a better job" than ANY school in a P5 conference.   You simply don't get a fair shot to play for a National Championship if you're not in a P5 conference.   As long as UNC is in the ACC, and UNT is in C-USA or whatever G5 equivalent, UNC is "the better job".  It's very simple.

I agree with UNC having a better shot at a national championship but UNC really doesn't have much of a shot either. If you pay close attention, being a P5 isn't a requirement to being in the playoffs. It's actually being one of THE P5s. If UNC goes undefeated, they will need the other P5 conferences to be have down years. Otherwise, voters will say the ACC had a down year. Just like Baylor/TCU getting screwed until it was OU who had 1 loss. I believe a 1 loss Bama, Ohio State, LSU, Georgia, Michigan, USC, OU, Texas would make it over an undefeated UNC unless the ACC was very strong.

In order for a conference to be viewed as strong, it seems like the flagship programs of those conferences need to be strong. UNC doesn't cut it.

If SL wants a national championship, he needs to wait for OU or LSU or the like to become available.

Edited by GMG_Dallas
  • Upvote 2

The only team I can see actually getting Seth Littrell in the next two seasons is OkSt when they get tired of being almost great with coach mullet and go in a different direction to get over the hump. Other than that, I do not think Coach Littrell leaves here within the next 3 seasons, not even for Texas Tech. Now, if Mizzou, Arkansas, or LSU open up in the next three seasons, i'm pretty sure he'll be outta here, and deservedly so. 

Our defensive staff on the other hand is gonna get poached. Maybe not Reffet, but everyone else could be gone.  I also think some of our offensive staff (looking at Choice and Filani) and Biagi will get offers too. Contrary to most people, I do not think Graham Harrell is gonna leave yet. I think he needs a couple more years of seasoning before someone makes him a head coach on the lower level or a big school coordinator.

I think they need to restructure Seth's deal depending on how the season ends, and then give a pay bump to all the assistant positions. like no one makes less than 150K type of pay bump! 

• Upvote 3

32 minutes ago, MeanGreen13 said:

The only team I can see actually getting Seth Littrell in the next two seasons is OkSt when they get tired of being almost great with coach mullet and go in a different direction to get over the hump. Other than that, I do not think Coach Littrell leaves here within the next 3 seasons, not even for Texas Tech. Now, if Mizzou, Arkansas, or LSU open up in the next three seasons, i'm pretty sure he'll be outta here, and deservedly so. 

Our defensive staff on the other hand is gonna get poached. Maybe not Reffet, but everyone else could be gone.  I also think some of our offensive staff (looking at Choice and Filani) and Biagi will get offers too. Contrary to most people, I do not think Graham Harrell is gonna leave yet. I think he needs a couple more years of seasoning before someone makes him a head coach on the lower level or a big school coordinator.

I think they need to restructure Seth's deal depending on how the season ends, and then give a pay bump to all the assistant positions. like no one makes less than 150K type of pay bump! 

I don't think they'll get the funds for that as they'd rather dump that $ into a Littrell Pay increase, then bump assistants.  I could see maybe our lowest paid asst being in the 110-120 range and increase by maybe 5/10 all the way up to Graham/Reff/Biagi all being highest paid assts.  Graham currently sits at 250 I believe 

IDK about this year but last year was:

Reff at 250k

Harrell at 235k

Koonz at 145k

Biagi at 130k,

Langston at 125k

Yellock at 125k

Mainord at 120k

Filani at 110k

Brown at 95k, which is too low IMO. 

I have no clue what Choice is making but I suspect it's lower than what Brown got last year.

maybe they don't have enough to pay them all 150k or better, But i think we need to get out assistant coaches' salary pool around 1.75 - 2 million if we can.That would be very competitive with schools in the AAC, at least by last year's standards.

• Upvote 2

If we are as serious as it sounds about doing everything we can to keep Seth, then if Seth wants his Assistants to get raises, his assistants will get raises.  I truly believe 2mil for Seth, and 2 mil for the assistants is not out of the question.  Damn that just feel weird writing that and talking about UNT in the same sentence.

• Upvote 4
  • Haha 2

So let me get this straight: Brint Ryan is the Chairman of the Board of Regents, who is a partner at a large accounting firm in Dallas. Dude makes bank. He's apparently in love with SL (I mean, who isn't) and retweeted him. Some idiot named Josh tried to play the "my school will just poach him" card, and got SHOT down hard when Ryan told him to look at his books (implying he'd donate any amount of money it would take to keep SL). 

That about right? Because that's amazing. 

• Lovely Take 1
  • Thanks 4

11 hours ago, MeanGreen13 said:

IDK about this year but last year was:

Reff at 250k

Harrell at 235k

Koonz at 145k

Biagi at 130k,

Langston at 125k

Yellock at 125k

Mainord at 120k

Filani at 110k

Brown at 95k, which is too low IMO. 

I have no clue what Choice is making but I suspect it's lower than what Brown got last year.

maybe they don't have enough to pay them all 150k or better, But i think we need to get out assistant coaches' salary pool around 1.75 - 2 million if we can.That would be very competitive with schools in the AAC, at least by last year's standards.

This is a good post because it is not just about retaining Littrell, it is also about keeping the assistant pool high enough to keep his staff in place as well.  In years past, and quite frankly not that many years ago, we had sort of a revolving door for assistants.  In fact, this happened after Littrell’s first season.

17 minutes ago, Jason Howeth said:

So let me get this straight: Brint Ryan is the Chairman of the Board of Regents, who is a partner at a large accounting firm in Dallas. Dude makes bank. He's apparently in love with SL (I mean, who isn't) and retweeted him. Some idiot named Josh tried to play the "my school will just poach him" card, and got SHOT down hard when Ryan told him to look at his books (implying he'd donate any amount of money it would take to keep SL). 

Ryan isn't your run-of-the-mill accounting firm.  The Texas Comptroller's office isn't being very nice to me on a cursory search to find details, but I can see that Ryan is an LLC, not a partnership.  Brint Ryan is far more than a mere partner of the company who bears his name on the side of a tall building at the intersection of 635 and DNT.  The company is an aggressive money making machine.  Not to my particular taste in some of the things they do, but you can't argue with the cash flow.  

tl;dr -- Brint has more money than God and is as close as we have to a T. Boone at present. 

• Upvote 6
  • Lovely Take 1

22 minutes ago, Jason Howeth said:

It's True.

However, Fertitta said the same thing about Herman in Houston.

We'll see.    I know Brint will make it hard for him to leave...   and at least Wren has made it lucrative for NT if he were to leave.

55 minutes ago, oldguystudent said:

Ryan isn't your run-of-the-mill accounting firm.  The Texas Comptroller's office isn't being very nice to me on a cursory search to find details, but I can see that Ryan is an LLC, not a partnership.  Brint Ryan is far more than a mere partner of the company who bears his name on the side of a tall building at the intersection of 635 and DNT.  The company is an aggressive money making machine.  Not to my particular taste in some of the things they do, but you can't argue with the cash flow.  

tl;dr -- Brint has more money than God and is as close as we have to a T. Boone at present. 

Yep.  Lots of money in finding corporate tax loopholes.   Brint's firm is one of the best in the nation at doing this.

1 hour ago, Jason Howeth said:

If you dig down further, the Josh guy is a VP within Ryan, LLC. So while I love the comeback, this now feels more like intra-office C-suite banter.

• Upvote 5
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

It's True.

We'll see.    I know Brint will make it hard for him to leave...   and at least Wren has made it lucrative for NT if he were to leave.

True, but Herman was in Houston...just sayin'

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Wag Tag said:

Thursday night is the unveiling of the master plan for Athletic Facilities. I'm looking forward to hopefully some major announcements and not just the show of plans! GMG

Any chance this is happening at the Collin County Alumni Reception on Thursday night at the Omni at The Star?  Not an AD event, but Smatresk is supposed to be speaking.

3 minutes ago, jtm0097 said:

Here's a hypothetical situation.

Jason Garrett gets fired and Jerry Jones hires Lincoln Riley because he's the next young upcoming offensive mind.

OU looks to Denton and hires Seth....

What if Vesuvius erupts once again  & swallow all of Italy?  

Deep Green probably still has distant cousins in that part of the world.  BTW, don’t ever piss off DG because he has a Cuzzin’ Guido in Sicily.  I narrowly escaped his anger a few years ago but still profusely apologized to Phil just in case.😳

BEAT THE HELL OUT OF LA TECH! 

45 minutes ago, PlummMeanGreen said:

What if Vesuvius erupts once again  & swallow all of Italy?  

Deep Green probably still has distant cousins in that part of the world.  BTW, don’t ever piss off DG because he has a Cuzzin’ Guido in Sicily.  I narrowly escaped his anger a few years ago but still profusely apologized to Phil just in case.😳

BEAT THE HELL OUT OF LA TECH! 

Wife and I, plus friends, spent a week in Sicily this past June visiting several 2nd/3rd cousins in the area where my Dad was born.  So, when DeepGreen posts on this board, THERE WILL BE NO DOWN VOTES!  CAPISCI?

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1
  • Ray 2
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Downvote 1

8 hours ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

It's True.

Iconic programs like Texas are lucrative jobs that rival NFL jobs.  So yes no G5 program (unless sitting on a ton of money) is going to keep a hot coach from taking one of those jobs.  However in my opinion (and I would suspect many coaches opinions too) a top stable G5 program that is positioned to dominate their conference for the next 3-6 years is better than trying to build a midteir P5 team to take the Blue Bloods of their conference.  You are always on the hot seat with most of those programs because you can rarely beat them.  And when you do beat them you fans and Alumni lose perspective and expect to beat  top dog in your conference every other year.  Look at Harrell.  If he beats Texas this year he is safe but only until 2019.  Go 0.500 in 2019 and lose to both Texas and  Oklahoma and he is probably fired.  Who want to deal with that drama and have to recruit to Lubbock?