Seth Littrell Rumors Mega Thread

Cerebus

2 minutes ago, MGNation92 said:

I wish Littrell would become our Chris Peterson. I don't expect him to be here forever, but build the culture and recruiting to a point where it's damn near impossible to fail when he leaves. 

Boise St is a perennial G5 powerhouse and while it started with Dirk Koetter and Dan Hawkins, Peterson put them on the map. 

I'd even settle for a 2000's Rutgers' Greg Schiano.    Stay 10 years, get us where we need to be, then leave.   
I just don't see it happening.

So I don't know if, whereto and when SL is gonna leave. It will take at least a few firings before the speculation will really be fun.

But can we all agree that some P5 will be throwing a stupid amount of money at ST coach Biagi at the end of the season? The pub he got this weekend was likely as good as an ST coordinator ever gets. UNTs special teams portion is like third in S/P right now.

Edited by outoftown
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, outoftown said:

So I don't know if wherto and when SL is gonna leave.

But can we all agree that some P5 will be throwing a stupid amount of money at ST coach Biagi at the end of the season? The pub he got this weekend was likely as good as an ST coordinator ever gets.

If Hedlund keeps it up, I think between Hedlund's and Moore's results, as well as return & coverage improvements, he is building a nice resume.

DENTON - “Peter Pan” is retired at North Texas, realistically, if not officially. Word is the NCAA might outlaw the sort of fake fair catch that resulted in Keegan Brewer’s wildly entertaining 90-yard punt return for a touchdown against Arkansas. Never mind that it seems like criminalizing creativity. Probably keeps a poor imitation from disaster. Also now a moot point at UNT. As good an actor as Brewer is, he’s not fooling anyone again with that Emmy-caliber performance.

Not since it’s been seen on SportsCenter, Sunday Night Football, Inside Edition, College Football Live, NBC Nightly News and Good Morning America.

Not to mention, Brewer’s been on ESPNU radio, a couple or three XM stations and all through the locals.

If you haven’t heard of Brewer or “Peter Pan” or Seth Littrell by now, you cut off more than your cable.

“I told our marketing people this morning that they were brilliant,” UNT’s athletic director, Wren Baker, said. “I can’t think of a strategy or a dollar figure that would have brought the same attention to this university.”

Here’s the deal: “Peter Pan” didn’t simply join the pantheon of “Kick Six,” “Lateralpalooza,” the Stanford band and Tyler John Tyler making Mike Zoffuto want to throw up. The sheer virtuosity overshadowed the fact that UNT, now 3-0 and receiving Top 25 votes, didn’t just beat an SEC team on the road, it humbled Arkansas.

read more:  https://sportsday.dallasnews.com/college-sports/untmeangreen/2018/09/18/unt-college-footballs-sleeping-giant-becoming-nationally-relevant

• Upvote 2
  • Lovely Take 1

18 hours ago, UNT Mean Green said:

Exactly. Elite program means competing for conference championships and a spot in the CFP on a routine basis. Think Oklahoma. Otherwise, why leave a place that you’ve built into a perennial, respected G5 power where your family loves it and is compensating you and your staff accordingly (albeit at the top of the G5)? 

Follow what a Chris Petersen did as a practical example. 8 years at Boise State winning 88% of his games, had plenty of opportunities with P5 programs “fishing”, but stayed until he received one of his dream jobs. Now, he’s not going anywhere, and his family is set. 

If you look at UNT, Littrell and his staff have made the turnaround, and now the fun is just beginning. As others have posted, how good can you be with players who are the caliber of athletes in the 2019 signing class, or what we can imagine the 2020 class will be? It’s scary really, and it all goes back to “this place can be a monster”, and his family and his staff’s families love the North Texas area and community. Again, stay here until you get an elite job that’s the right fit for you and your family.

I am almost echoing you echoing me...but so many people (and not just North Texans) have said for decades that we could be HUGE in football and have been a wasted enterprise. Yeah, we had moves in the early years and then brief jumps with Fry and Greene....but nothing long term. If Seth is the guy who takes this potential and runs with it...why leave for anything other than a top 5/10-ish program if he makes a legacy and gets PAID for his effort and his family is happy and stable?

• Upvote 2

"I know as he wins, his profile will increase," Baker said of Littrell, now in his third season at UNT. "But I also fully believe it'll take something special for him to leave. More than just money.

"You'd better believe, when that time comes, we're not gonna make it easy for anyone."

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Jason Howeth said:

"I know as he wins, his profile will increase," Baker said of Littrell, now in his third season at UNT. "But I also fully believe it'll take something special for him to leave. More than just money.

"You'd better believe, when that time comes, we're not gonna make it easy for anyone."

Been trying to tell people this. I have got asked about 10 times this week. I think it has to be a perfect situation for him to up and leave.

• Upvote 2

59 minutes ago, Jason Howeth said:

$2m buyout for starters!

15 minutes ago, Cerebus said:

This is the hard hitting inside information people flock to GoMeanGreen.com to see.  

I know right... His genius is already well established... but my man crush got crushier after Arky.I gotta go build something, or shoot a critter, before i really start questioning things...

Edited by Primo
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Ray 2

I may be naive, but something tells me that SL will stay here for awhile. I listen to him talk, watch his eyes, and watch his body language and they all say to me that he wants to stay here because he loves where he is. When I hear him speak, he often brings up how OU football was down in the dumps until a guy named Bob Stoops showed up and turned things around. Stoops is of course a legend in OU football now. I believe SL wants to do the same at UNT. When Stoops arrived at OU, he was doing a rebuild, but let's face it, OU had been national championship winners before so the potential was certainly there. UNT has never been national champs and have never even sniffed a top 20 finish. This is a much tougher hill to climb. To even get UNT to a top 10 finish would send that coach into CFB history forever. I think SL wants to make history and build a program, that some people probably still thinks is in the FCS, into a perennial power. He has an Administration, AD, Regents, City, and fan base that is 100% behind him. He is getting facilities that he wants. Donors are starting to come out big time. He is getting paid well and depending on how this season ends, I can see his salary being pushed to 2 mil or just north of 2 mil. When I was in the Army, I had one of my Soldiers talking about Memphis and how large the student enrollment was. He asked me who was my team. I said North Texas. He asked why and I said because that is my alma mater. He asked why I went to such a small school. He was shocked when I told him their enrollment was larger than Memphis'. That is what people think of UNT or that it's just liberal arts and music with no real athletes. For SL to turn UNT into a nationally prominent university that all sports fans talk about in the same breath as Texas, OU, Auburn, Alabama, LSU etc would be historic and would be talked about long after many of us are gone. I think he wants that and may only leave if OU opens up. Again I may be naive.

• Upvote 1
  • Ray 2

My guess is that he will stay here with Mason for his senior year. But if the right job comes available to his liking (see PJ Fleck moving to Minnesota from western michigan) I can easily see him taking the money while the iron is hot—but it would have to be a better job than Texas Tech, I’d  guess. People mention UNC and that one will intrigue him, I’d bet. I’d be surprised if he turned that kind of offer down...

• Ray 1

My gut tells me he is not leaving this year.  My reasoning is no more reliable than a mailman's in Detroit Michigan but here goes:

As he moved up the coaching ladder over the years he had no kids or very young kids.  Now his kids are in school and moving them becomes much harder on them.  My guess is he wants his next move to be his last move.  I dont think Texas Tech is a last move.

I fully expect UNT to get his pay up to 2 million this year.  More importantly I expect UNT to greatly increase the asst. pool.  I think its a total beating for a head coach when he loses multiple assistants every year.   Being able to keep his assistants in place is important. 

His stock is rising fast right where he is at.  He has no reason to leave if he can spring board from UNT to an elite position. Texas Tech and similar schools are not elite positions.   

This is the best looking recruiting class we have had since Joe Greene.  I would think part of the reason for such a good class is coaches promising they will not be leaving in the very near future. Sure coaches are not exactly well known for being truthful but I actually look at Littrell as someone that says what he means.  

I fully believe that SL will not be here in 5 years but this will not be the year he leaves.  Take it to the bank!  lol

• Upvote 3

Does he stay or does he go?  Either way, I am secure in that I no longer have to worry about: 

His replacement being a booze soaked dinosaur retread. 

His replacement being an arrogant know absolutely nothing high school coach. 

A university president who refuses to pay a football coach more than the president because something something white male patriarchy. 

I fear that the replacement, should it be necessary, may or may not be the right choice, but at least I know there are resources and open avenues to find and go after somebody with some skillz.