Seth Littrell Rumors Mega Thread

Cerebus

Y'all are funny.
Between calling for this thread to be deleted, and the delusions of Littrell hanging around, turning down P5 opportunities...
giphy.gif

This thread is here to be the only place for this kind of banter.  Otherwise, as @MeanGreenEngineer stated above, there will be dozens of new threads weekly, crescendoing as the season goes on.

If he stays through the conference championship game and leaves before the bowl, or stays another year, or becomes NT's Bobby Bowden, it doesn't really matter.   The leadership is in place to keep the train moving forward.  You don't have to worry anymore.

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 1
  • Downvote 1

https://www.dentonrc.com/sports/colleges/mean_green/the-monday-edition-of-what-we-learned/article_17357582-14e9-5071-af27-cefa6af111e6.html

He turned down two opportunities to talk to athletic directors at two programs, including one at the Power Five level. (no, I'm not going to divulge who those programs were).

2 minutes ago, TheColonyEagle said:

https://www.dentonrc.com/sports/colleges/mean_green/the-monday-edition-of-what-we-learned/article_17357582-14e9-5071-af27-cefa6af111e6.html

He turned down two opportunities to talk to athletic directors at two programs, including one at the Power Five level. (no, I'm not going to divulge who those programs were).

Don't care about the other G5 job.  Why would he leave here for another G5?
As for whatever P5 that one was... it must not have been one he wanted.  Which is fine.  He can be picky if he wants to.  He doesn't have to take the first one offered.   But the idea that he's going to hang around here forever goes against his track record.  A leopard doesn't change it's spots. 
Littrell likely doesn't want his 2000 NC ring to be his only one.   Sadly, he's not going to get that opportunity at NT.

• Downvote 2

7 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

As for whatever P5 that one was... it must not have been one he wanted.  Which is fine.  He can be picky if he wants to.  

That's the whole point.

He very well could be here for a long time until that perfect job opens up. He doesn't have to jump on the first thing that comes up (uh...because he didn't) I'm sick of hearing how "UNT is so small time and people come here just to move up." I'm also sick of hearing that from people that have an extremely small knowledge of UNT. Like it is a foregone conclusion and guaranteed that Littrell will be gone next year. I just don't believe that.

"Where will LIttrell be next year?" 

"Someone will pay him big money next year."

"Oh...Littrell won't be here next year"

He's making big money now. Ask anyone that doesn't follow North Texas football but follow another team. "What do you think Littrell is making at UNT?" I bet they say.....$500K?" I bet most have no idea he's making $1.5 mil. I told someone that and they couldn't believe it. - "What?!" was their reaction.

He's getting everything he wants here

His family loves it here

He's close to home

I'm not naive here....but he can sit back for several years if he wants (Like a Chris Peterson) and wait for the perfect job....assuming he wants to leave at all.

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Wag Tag said:

if we loose Seth is Graham the auto replacement? If Seth stays is Graham hired away?

I don't think so. First, I don't know if Graham would want to be a HC this early in his career.  Second, he's so young and so early in his coaching career I don't know if he's ready.  You watch him give a halftime speech and it's very fast paced and kinda chaotic.  Also, in hiring a Men's BB coach and softball coach, Baker has hired young coaches who already have success as head coaches at previous stops.  If Littrell leaves I bet Graham goes with him and Baker hires someone who's already a head coach.  That coach at IWU is one to keep an eye on. 

16 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Thanks

Tennessee is 1 of 15 jobs in the nation on that level? Everyone not with a job at one of those 15 or so jobs is going to look into it.

TTech is not one of those jobs.

12 minutes ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

yes, especially if SL leaves this year. We need that continuity for Fine and Co's last year. 

I would rather have Reffett. I know we all love Fine and the offense but this defense is special and we lose several seniors on defense this year (Brooks, Hall to name a couple). I would rather have Reffett stay and keep his young defense recruits and have Fine and the leaders in the wr corps help a new OC establish himself in the offense, that is if Harrell leaves with SL. Plus we have so much depth in the wide receiver room, we can lose a couple to transfers and still be top notch. 

13 minutes ago, TheColonyEagle said:

TTech is not one of those jobs.

Personally, at this point, I would rank TT over Tenn.  

TT is a middle of the road B12 team, where you don't have to play an SEC schedule, the fans aren't going to want you to beat Bama by year two, and you CAN be successful.  I think SL was at TT when they got up to #3 in the nation.   Tenn is, at this point, a bottom of the pack SEC team.  It's a much tougher rebuild.  

I think there are A LOT of P5 programs that SL would turn down an offer to coach at.  I am just not sure if TT is one of them, in fact I would lean to him going if he got that offer.  

1 minute ago, Cerebus said:

Personally, at this point, I would rank TT over Tenn.  

TT is a middle of the road B12 team, where you don't have to play an SEC schedule, the fans aren't going to want you to beat Bama by year two, and you CAN be successful.  I think SL was at TT when they got up to #3 in the nation.   Tenn is, at this point, a bottom of the pack SEC team.  It's a much tougher rebuild.  

I think there are A LOT of P5 programs that SL would turn down an offer to coach at.  I am just not sure if TT is one of them, in fact I would lean to him going if he got that offer.  

I hear you...

I guess it would boil down to fit and more importantly if he and his family want that.

No one knows that but Littrell and his family.

I'll say this....if the TTech job opens, is offered and he does turn it down....its safe to say he could be here for a while. 

3 minutes ago, TheColonyEagle said:

I'll say this....if the TTech job opens, is offered and he does turn it down....its safe to say he could be here for a while. 

If he turned down that job offer to sign an extension here, then we should start a GoFundMe for the statue immediately.  In fact, I'll do that and be the first donation.  

On 9/5/2018 at 1:17 PM, untjim1995 said:

I'm telling you right now that Kansas is a better job than Texas Tech. Eventually, Snyder will die, and when he does, just like the last time he retired, KU will jump them again IF they have the right coach. KU has the $$$, the academics, and a great location being 40 miles from Kansas City. 

Tech has a ceiling that will never be higher than OU, UT, TCU, or OSU. Hell, it hasn't been higher than UH ever.

KU has one win in a BCS bowl game--Tech has never been in one...think about that for a second.

you do realize that KU team lost to the one ranked team they played in the big 12(Mizzu) and avoided playing OU(11 W's), (UT 10- W's) and Tech(9 W's) who all finished the top 25 right?

this is the worst argument ever.

the KU BCS game was s prime example of how broken the BCS system was. 

On 9/5/2018 at 1:17 PM, untjim1995 said:

45 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Don't care about the other G5 job.  Why would he leave here for another G5?
As for whatever P5 that one was... it must not have been one he wanted.  Which is fine.  He can be picky if he wants to.  He doesn't have to take the first one offered.   But the idea that he's going to hang around here forever goes against his track record.  A leopard doesn't change it's spots. 
Littrell likely doesn't want his 2000 NC ring to be his only one.   Sadly, he's not going to get that opportunity at NT.

Not completely dismissing your ideas (I don’t think he stays much longer), but tracking the movement of an assistant coach versus a head coach is totally different and track record as a head coach is he has never moved

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, TheColonyEagle said:

That's the whole point.

He very well could be here for a long time until that perfect job opens up. He doesn't have to jump on the first thing that comes up (uh...because he didn't) I'm sick of hearing how "UNT is so small time and people come here just to move up." I'm also sick of hearing that from people that have an extremely small knowledge of UNT. Like it is a foregone conclusion and guaranteed that Littrell will be gone next year. I just don't believe that.

"Where will LIttrell be next year?" 

"Someone will pay him big money next year."

"Oh...Littrell won't be here next year"

He's making big money now. Ask anyone that doesn't follow North Texas football but follow another team. "What do you think Littrell is making at UNT?" I bet they say.....$500K?" I bet most have no idea he's making $1.5 mil. I told someone that and they couldn't believe it. - "What?!" was their reaction.

He's getting everything he wants here

His family loves it here

He's close to home

I'm not naive here....but he can sit back for several years if he wants (Like a Chris Peterson) and wait for the perfect job....assuming he wants to leave at all.

I'm sure the Bowling Green fans were hoping, just as you are, with reasons out the wazzoo, for Urban Meyer to hang around.
I'm sure the Ball State fans were hoping Brady Hoke (again, with many reasons) would stay.
I'm sure the UCF fans, with all of their reasons, were hoping Scott Frost would stay.

These are uncharted waters for NT fans. 
Outside of Hayden Fry, we've never ever had to worry about a Head Coach leaving for a "better opportunity".   We don't know how to react, and I think most here are reacting out of fear instead of genuine hope.  We don't want to see this good thing end.

"Sit around and wait for the perfect opportunity" has not been Littrell's MO.   
What he does instead, at each of his stops, is make an opportunity into the perfect opportunity. 

North Texas was certainly not the "perfect opportunity" when he took the job...  can we agree with that?

Just be prepared.   If you're not ready, you're going to suffer, unnecessarily.

• Downvote 1

What some of you just don't get is that recruits/commits follow this page, like it or not, and read this crap that is all speculation at this point.  What happens is that start believing this crap, start wondering if they want to stay committed, etc...  Many have congratulated the staff on this recruiting class and have now stated it is their job to hang on to these young men.  How about we help and not potentially hurt this process?

• Downvote 1

22 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

I'm sure the Bowling Green fans were hoping, just as you are, with reasons out the wazzoo, for Urban Meyer to hang around.
I'm sure the Ball State fans were hoping Brady Hoke (again, with many reasons) would stay.
I'm sure the UCF fans, with all of their reasons, were hoping Scott Frost would stay.

Bowling Green and Ball State are no where near UNT in any conceivable comparison

UCF....perhaps is comparable. Big school in a good location. Then Scott Frost's alma mater came available.

Look, I'm not trying to convince anyone that Seth Littrell is going to retire here. What I am saying is it is NOT a slam dunk that he's gone next year or the immediate years after....

This IS a good job. It pays VERY well. The administration is 100% behind it. The head coach is getting everything he wants. It's in a great location. It's growing. Fund raising is breaking records. There is an infrastructure and foundation in place here that is just starting to come out of the ground. There aren't too many more exciting situations in the country......that's all I'm saying. 

There is a lag in perception of this program. the outside perception is going on old information....that's why "no way Littrell hangs around" is so prevalent 

Edited by TheColonyEagle
  • Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

What some of you just don't get is that recruits/commits follow this page, like it or not, and read this crap that is all speculation at this point.  What happens is that start believing this crap, start wondering if they want to stay committed, etc...  Many have congratulated the staff on this recruiting class and have now stated it is their job to hang on to these young men.  How about we help and not potentially hurt this process?

LOL.

1) Message boards to 18 year old kids might as well be telegrams.  Old tech.

2) The ones that even know they exist put next to no stock in them.  It's just a bunch of blowhards who no almost nothing.  Including me.  I at least make up for it with my stunning good looks and sparkling personality.  And the humility, can't forget my almost inhuman humility.  

3) Recruits know how the game works.  If they are worried about SL leaving, NOTHING WE SAY ON THIS BOARD IS GOING TO ASSUAGE THAT.  We could have a banner on top of this page saying SETH LITTRELL IS GOING TO COACH HERE FOR 45 YEARS and it would mean nothing to them.  It is up to SL to make the recruits feel good about coming here, not us.  If he wants to put those rumors to bed, I am sure WB would love to sign him to a new extension with a huge buyout tomorrow.  

4) This isn't TexAgs.  This isn't a cult.  As long as people follow the rules, we're not going to censor someones opinion just because it makes us feel bad.  Disagree with someone saying we're going to lose SL, or to Liberty, or don't deserve a good bowl game?  Fine, have a discussion with them.  Calling for admins to delete threads that follow rules just because you don't like what they say is childish.

5) This team has a chance to win.  A lot.  We are a G5 school.  When G5 school coaches start to win a lot, P5 ADs are going to notice.   This is going to cause a lot of media speculation.   I don't want the front page of this board to be dominated by 50 SL rumor threads.   They are all going to be in this thread.  Ignore this thread if you don't like knowing what is going on.  Simple.