Seth Littrell Rumors Mega Thread

Cerebus

Rumor has it that Coach Littrell will discontinue his coaching career & make a run for the White House.  This tidbit from Unknown Source..  (Unknown Source has been very busy of late & has his own book coming out called "I'm Just A Wonder of the Wasteland" inspired from a country hit song by former Houston TV personality, one Utah Carl.    (It's getting past my bedtime).  

BEAT LIBERTY U CONVINCINGLY!

• Haha 3

The good,  UNT had a massive win against Arky. The Bad, unless Mason gets hurt, Seth is gone. Wren Baker better get his list started.  Surprised, I recorded the Michigan-SMU game and watched it yesterday. SMU finally put Ben Hicks on the bench. The freshman quarterback Will Brown is the REAL deal.  6'4 220, calm cool and extremely gifted. I'm glad he didn't play against us. 

• Downvote 14

27 minutes ago, dodgefan said:

SMU finally put Ben Hicks on the bench. The freshman quarterback Will Brown is the REAL deal.  6'4 220, calm cool and extremely gifted. I'm glad he didn't play against us. 

I was really hoping to find a Ben Hicks post game interview, but couldn't.  Are you aware if it's out there somewhere?  He was so downtrodden in a popped collar gonna drive my BMW home to cry kind of way -- it's rather entertaining. 

55 minutes ago, dodgefan said:

The good,  UNT had a massive win against Arky. The Bad, unless Mason gets hurt, Seth is gone. Wren Baker better get his list started.  Surprised, I recorded the Michigan-SMU game and watched it yesterday. SMU finally put Ben Hicks on the bench. The freshman quarterback Will Brown is the REAL deal.  6'4 220, calm cool and extremely gifted. I'm glad he didn't play against us. 

Don’t most G5’s AD’s keep such a list?  Boise State did as they just kept hiring new HFC’s who kept on keeping the Broncos in Top 25 polls.  BSU proved that losing a HFC is hardly the end of the world.

Personally, I think Seth stays around to see how much he can build this “monster” especially operating from an college athlete plant of venues that some P5 schools canno match. 

I also think while Seth is here our extremely pro-active AD & staff will want to think outside the usual box to enlarge  Apogee so we can all experience what we did in Fayetteville other night right here in Mean Green Country.  (See ADLER’s thread & reasoning on why to expand Apogee).

“IT’S ALL GOOD!  ITS ALL GREEN!” (FFR)

GMG!

• Thanks 1

This is off the SMUT board so take it for what is worth. i would not live in Lubbock if I had a choice.

They're in the drivers seat. He was the running backs coach under Leach there back in the day. I've heard from a UNT football staffer that that's where he wants to go back. If I had to bet on it, I'd say he's their next head coach next year and takes Graham Harrell with him to be the OC there too. Personally, I think he should aim higher.

Edited by southsideguy

Yes, please delete this whole thread then block any further attempts on another tread to predict the future of Seth Littrell!

I am sick of these Seth Littrell will be hired away!  Bull Shit! Seth will stay with the Mean Green for a good while!

Some day the Mean Green may lose Seth, but not any time soon!

Here is a story- I took the wife down on Lower Greenville Ave for brunch Sunday morning.

I wore a Mean Green Polo shirt. I had at least 7-9 people say to me "Great Game Mean Green!", "You guys kicked the hogs ass!" , 'Way to go Mean Green!" and other props to the Mean Green!

The last guy to offer his congratulations said to me, " You guys played a great game! Dominated the Razorbacks! "

then came this - " Seth Littrell is too good to be at North Texas! He needs to be some where else !

I had some words with this knucklehead then my wife and I went on our way.

My wife said "who the F was that guy?" " That guy has a major problem!"

I said to her, "that guy does not believe in the Mean Green!" F him!

• Thanks 1
  • Ray 1
  • Downvote 2

On 9/4/2018 at 11:11 AM, HoustonEagle said:

If I was the Littrell's my thought process would go like this:

The kids are are getting old enough that constantly moving them is more and more difficult.  

Would you rather raise a family in the DFW Metroplex and or in Lubbock? 

Lubbock is 7 1/2 hours away from Muskogee while Denton is 3 1/2 hours away.

Turning down 3 million dollars seems asinine but everything is in place to stay in Denton for as long as they want and current salary trajectory would have base at 2 million in the next few years.  

Now that it is proven that recruits and fans will come to Denton.  There is no reason to worry about waiting for a dream job to come up. Texas Tech is not a dream job.  

My intuition tells me if the Tech job is offered he will take it but for the reasons I stated above it is not a given.  

I agree... and just from perception and the way he speaks in interviews I don’t think he’s in this for the money. He seems to be in it for making history and building greatness. $1M a year is a ton of money. Why uproot your children in elementary school for a raise and move further away from their grandparents. The only way I see him leaving is if OU calls and offers mega bucks. 

• Upvote 1

I agree with those that think this rampant speculation is fruitless and probably not good for recruiting. That being said, here's the facts in my opinion.

1) SL is going to be considered a hot candidate. 

2) He isn't by himself on that list. Just to name a couple I think may be hotter names

a) Neal Brown - beat LSU last year and beat Nebraska this year. Beat the hell out of us.

b) Mike Norvell - has killed at Memphis for three years. Almost beat UCF last year. 

c) Brian Harsin - won big at Ark State. Winning big at Boise. 

3) The Ark win is huge but IMO SL will need to finish this year strong to be in the top 3 or 4 G5 coaches. If we lose to FAU for a 3rd time in two years for instance, that will hurt Seth's stock. 

4) There are also power 5 coaches who are on the lower end of P5 that are "available." Think Dino Babers at Syracuse. Tech probably pays more and Dino was at Baylor and knows this area. In other words, the candidate list is longer than most of think about for any job that opens.

5) Our President and AD are have shown themselves to be aggressive. We hired SL at near the top of the conference in pay. I think I remember it being 2nd or 3rd. We gave him a raise after his 1st year that tied FAU, FIU and UTSA at the top of the league. After last year he got a monster increase that pays him $400,000 more than anyone else in CUSA. I have to believe Neal and Wren will make another agressive offer to keep Seth.

6)Mason Fine is back!!!! And so is one of the best receiving corps in the country along with a ton of other juniors.

7) We have a tremendous recruiting class committed.

😎 Seth's buyout aint cheap. He'll cost someone almost $2 million. Plus they'll have to pay his taxes on that $2 million so it will be closer to $3 million. This will be particularly important when weighing him against other candidates. Someone will need to like Seth Littrell $1.5 million dollars better than a Neal Brown who's buyout is reported at $500,000.

Let's say we are able to pay Seth $2 million. That's going to eliminate a bunch of competitors. For instance, Maryland, UNC, NC State, Kansas, Cal, Rutgers and Indiana all pay less than $2.5 million.  I don't see SL leaving a place he routinely describes as "home" for a negligible raise. Anyone that comes after him better be prepared to offer north of $3 million. Probably well north.

Could we lose Seth? Yeah, we could. But I still say the smart money is he isn't quite on the elite school's list yet. Come back another year with Mason Fine and crush it again and his stock is even better. This is why I've never worried about Kansas. Only a damn fool takes that job when they are holding the hand Seth holds. Tech is worrisome. Only because they may pay stupid money. But one thing I think could help is they can't interview Seth without knowing 100% he'll take the job. If word leaks that the UNT coach turned them down, Lubbock will burn. I'm not sure Seth would take the job without listening to them, evaluating and giving UNT a chance to counter. That may mess the deal up. 

• Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 2

On 9/16/2018 at 12:15 AM, JesseMartin said:

If a P5 is in a down season...they would have to be lower rung to offer at this point (a la Western Michigan to Minnesota) and we are paying well enough to provide a more solid future. And Seth will need to turn us into a Boise State level program before a P5 with better funds and a real future offers. We are actually paying well now. Of course if he gets offered OU in the next couple of years he is outta here. Maybe Tech or another up and down P5 but honestly I don't see him leaving for anything other than an elite program if he keeps elevating the program and getting paid accordingly.

Exactly. Elite program means competing for conference championships and a spot in the CFP on a routine basis. Think Oklahoma. Otherwise, why leave a place that you’ve built into a perennial, respected G5 power where your family loves it and is compensating you and your staff accordingly (albeit at the top of the G5)? 

Follow what a Chris Petersen did as a practical example. 8 years at Boise State winning 88% of his games, had plenty of opportunities with P5 programs “fishing”, but stayed until he received one of his dream jobs. Now, he’s not going anywhere, and his family is set. 

If you look at UNT, Littrell and his staff have made the turnaround, and now the fun is just beginning. As others have posted, how good can you be with players who are the caliber of athletes in the 2019 signing class, or what we can imagine the 2020 class will be? It’s scary really, and it all goes back to “this place can be a monster”, and his family and his staff’s families love the North Texas area and community. Again, stay here until you get an elite job that’s the right fit for you and your family.

• Upvote 3

Delete this thread?  Grow up people.

This team has a legitimate chance to win out.  Every single win we get is going to increase the speculation that Coach Littrell is leaving.  Without this one thread there would be twenty threads on the first page.  

This is the life of a winning G5.  Enjoy it for what it is.   Let us hope Coach Littrell is our Petersen. 

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Downvote 1