Seth Littrell Rumors Mega Thread

Cerebus

4 hours ago, GrandGreen said:

Nothing like a unsubstantiated rumor to generate another long thread on losing Littrell.   Yes, I am sure the Littrell's were checking out houses in Lubbock before the season even started.  Does that really make sense to anyone?

My thoughts exactly.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, untjim1995 said:

The Tech folks I know are already clamoring for Littrell. They feel like he would be a great fit, with his southwestern roots and his casual style. Honestly, at Tech, if he wins 7-8 games a year, like Leach did, he will be there for as long as he wants, similar to Spike Dykes. Leach burnt the bridges that SL wouldn't, just because their personalities are polar opposite.

My fear is that SL and GH are bought together by Tech. That could very possibly happen, too. Otherwise, GH should be the guy, just because of the name recognition he brings and the fact that he has been the OC here on some very good squads.

They’ve had heir fill on former quarterbacks turned offensive coordinators turned tech hc. 

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, FirefightnRick said:

The mods need to remove this thread and keep similar ones off the board in the future.  It does us no good to worry about this subject now and could potentially  give a committed recruit a reason to question their decision.

Rick

It's the reality of our situation, which is great! There's nothing wrong talking about it because the more we win the more his name is going to be thrown around. If you're uncomfortable talking about Seth leaving then I suggest you stay out of the thread. 

And if you think this forum is the first place recruits hear about Seth being hired away, I don't know what to tell you. We have dozens of schools we recruit against that are doing that for us. 

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 2

45 minutes ago, pastorgrant said:

Any chance a huge season this year with a monster recruiting class coming in is enough for the school to pay him enough to keep him? Texas Tech's current coach makes 3.5 mil. Could we match that if we're constantly selling out Apogee and selling lots of merch?

I agree. I do not think we have to match 3.5 million but at least go above 2 million. Don't get me wrong, 3.5 is significantly more than 2+ but when you consider other factors that may go into his decision, it may not be all about the money. Lubbock is a bad location for one. Secondly, if UNT is winning, it is easier to recruit kids to want to come to DFW instead of Lubbock. Thirdly, his children are getting older and have friends and family closer. Trust me after moving around in the Army several times in the earlier part of my career, it gets tougher and tougher to uproot your family and move again when kids start to get older. They hate leaving their friends. They want somewhere to establish themselves and have friends that they can grow with and graduate high school with. I think all that plays a part in his decision. 3.5 is a lot, but if we can get him to 2+, is it enough for him to want to move his family to Lubbock? This administration, regents, and AD are 100% behind him. The only thing in my mind that Tech can provide that we cannot is the chance to compete at the P5 level. However, that could change if we blow up for the next few years and that crap show in Waco continues to falter. 

Edited by Venson
addition
  • Lovely Take 1

2 hours ago, UNTcrazy727 said:

It's the reality of our situation, which is great! There's nothing wrong talking about it because the more we win the more his name is going to be thrown around. If you're uncomfortable talking about Seth leaving then I suggest you stay out of the thread. 

And if you think this forum is the first place recruits hear about Seth being hired away, I don't know what to tell you. We have dozens of schools we recruit against that are doing that for us. 

There's nothing wrong with talking about it if it's a fan bases point to prove its  low expectations to the rest of the world.  Go ahead and wring your hands, gnash your teeth and worry over something you have little control over like a 12 year old.

But there's something very wrong with presenting some bullshit rumor about selling houses, talking to realtors etc without an ounce of proof that festers and grows out of control.

For once lets act like a big boy because we have confidence in our leadership to cross any bridge we face in the future.

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick
  • Upvote 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Downvote 1

9 hours ago, FirefightnRick said:

The mods need to remove this thread and keep similar ones off the board in the future.  It does us no good to worry about this subject now and could potentially  give a committed recruit a reason to question their decision.

Rick

I agree.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

5 minutes ago, FirefightnRick said:

There's nothing wrong with talking about it if it's a fan bases point to prove its  low expectations to the rest of the world.  Go ahead and wring your hands, gnash your teeth and worry over something you have little control over like a 12 year old.

But there's something very wrong with presenting some bullshit rumor about selling houses, talking to realtors etc without an ounce of proof that festers and grows out of control.

For once lets act like a big boy because we have confidence in our leadership to cross any bridge we face in the future.

Rick

This is why I'm not worried if when we lose Littrell.

• Upvote 3

I think the Big Boy thing to do if we want to keep winning is write them a check every year, which I do.  If they come to me and ask if I can pitch in to keep SL, I will do what I can.   That is the real world.  SL might leave, if we do our part then the program can continue to rise.

Screwing our eyes shut, sticking our fingers in our ears, and humming the fight song as loud as you can might make you feel better, but it's not changing the way the world works.  

This is a good problem to have.  I'll gladly take winning and having to receive buys outs over losing and having to give buyouts to bring in someone new.  

2 hours ago, FirefightnRick said:

Rick

Trying to kick and scream to close a thread because you don't like the thought of losing your coach is acting like a 12 year old. These "bullshit" rumors are going to be more and more prevalent as the year goes on. Are we supposed to stick our heads in the sand and ignore them until some official press release drops that Seth has been hired by a P5 school? 

And how does talking about Seth leaving make us a lesser school? Some of us happen to live in the real world and know we can't pay like most P5 schools and can accept the thought that Seth doesn't want to be at UNT forever. And when Seth does decide to leave, I have full faith that our administration will make the right hire to keep the program moving forward. 

Edited by UNTcrazy727
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

20 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

But why now?  One game in to the new season.  It's like our fan base can't even enjoy a little success.  Why put this out there when we are on the verge of signing our best recruiting class ever?  Why put this out there so that other schools use it against us?  Address the issue if it were to arise, but not one of us on this board has any idea what goes on behind the closed doors of the athletic offices.

This is what success looks like. Feel good in it!

18 hours ago, 97and03 said:

Can we make a rule that all "Seth is leaving" posts MUST be made in this thread and starting a new thread on the subject will result in a one-week suspension?

Pretty please?

I think that is @Cerebus' intent. Hence, Megathread in the title.

9 hours ago, FirefightnRick said:

Rick

I'm surprised no one has brought up this in-depth interview article on Seth in The Athletic from July:

"Littrell also says he doesn’t see North Texas in that same ‘stepping stone’ lens that many others may see it.

“I think this place can be a monster,” Littrell said. “Why can’t this one be the next one that climbs that ladder, that you can compete for championships here and continue to rise, not just as a football program, but overall as an athletic program?”

The talent in the area along with support from school president Neal Smatresk and athletic director Wren Baker give him that confidence. Still, it doesn’t mean anything is set in stone.

“Any recruit that walks in my office, I tell him I can never guarantee you I’m going to be here for your entire career,” Littrell said. “Future looks bright but whenever that happens, God will lead us to whatever the next challenge is.”

After a good first impression, the Mean Green ripped up Littrell’s original deal and handed him a new five-year contract last May, paying him a base salary of $900,000 and a $36,000 signing bonus.

In addition to the money, coaching in Denton allows Littrell to be as close to his home of Oklahoma as he’s been in a decade, since leaving Texas Tech in 2008. Littrell has a large and tight family, making Denton all that much more appealing.

Instead of speculating on the unknown future, Littrell is focused on the task at hand at North Texas and leading the Mean Green to a third consecutive bowl game for just the second time in school history."

That healthy honesty in recruiting is really good to see.

15 minutes ago, Cerebus said:

I think the Big Boy thing to do if we want to keep winning is write them a check every year, which I do.  If they come to me and ask if I can pitch in to keep SL, I will do what I can.   That is the real world.  SL might leave, if we do our part then the program can continue to rise.

Screwing our eyes shut, sticking our fingers in our ears, and humming the fight song as loud as you can might make you feel better, but it's not changing the way the world works.  

This is a good problem to have.  I'll gladly take winning and having to receive buys outs over losing and having to give buyouts to bring in someone new.  

This 110%.

• Thanks 2
  • Downvote 1

16 minutes ago, Cerebus said:

All very true!  It's a great problem to have. And the last football coach we had stolen by another school was stolen by Tech. But that was a long, long time ago. I really don't think this is going to have any effect one way or another on recruits as 1. other staffs are already telling them that and 2. only a handful of schools do not have to worry about successful coaches being poached. 

1 hour ago, Venson said:

I agree. I do not think we have to match 3.5 million but at least go above 2 million. Don't get me wrong, 3.5 is significantly more than 2+ but when you consider other factors that may go into his decision, it may not be all about the money. Lubbock is a bad location for one. Secondly, if UNT is winning, it is easier to recruit kids to want to come to DFW instead of Lubbock. Thirdly, his children are getting older and have friends and family closer. Trust me after moving around in the Army several times in the earlier part of my career, it gets tougher and tougher to uproot your family and move again when kids start to get older. They hate leaving their friends. They want somewhere to establish themselves and have friends that they can grow with and graduate high school with. I think all that plays a part in his decision. 3.5 is a lot, but if we can get him to 2+, is it enough for him to want to move his family to Lubbock? This administration, regents, and AD are 100% behind him. The only thing in my mind that Tech can provide that we cannot is the chance to compete at the P5 level. However, that could change if we blow up for the next few years and that crap show in Waco continues to falter. 

Agreed. Lubbock stinks, and the Tech program is what it is. 

Littrell has had several colleagues take the 'intermediate' step to a lesser P5 only to be fired, and start the carousel all over again. Have a feeling he will hold out until he gets the "right" one which should be a major P5 in this part of the country (which there are only a few).

Build this place into a monster, get compensated appropriately where an offer from lesser P5 is frankly not desirable, have an excellent quality of life for your family, and wait on the big one. 

3 minutes ago, UNT Mean Green said:

Build this place into a monster, get compensated appropriately where an offer from lesser P5 is frankly not desirable, have an excellent quality of life for your family, and wait on the big one. 

SL no doubt is doing that.  If Kansas comes calling, I don't think they are a big threat.  

Could Tech be a threat?  Depends on how much of that $70+/bbl money those guys want to slosh around. 

22 minutes ago, Christopher Walker said:

I think that is @Cerebus' intent. Hence, Megathread in the title.

100%  

If we keep winning, there is just going to be more and more talk.  Already media is talking about it.  Hardline actually talked us up yesterday, and then immediately said SL is gone at the end of the year. 

The talk is gonna happen.

10 minutes ago, UNT Mean Green said:

Agreed. Lubbock stinks, and the Tech program is what it is. 

Littrell has had several colleagues take the 'intermediate' step to a lesser P5 only to be fired, and start the carousel all over again. Have a feeling he will hold out until he gets the "right" one which should be a major P5 in this part of the country (which there are only a few).

Littrell was coaching at Tech when they were ranked #2 in the nation.   He knows what they/he can do out there.

10 minutes ago, Christopher Walker said:

So, are you a frequent customer at Zebra Head, or something?

I share a room with multiple coaches who have experience at varied levels and a former AD. One of them is a tech graduate who has worked the sidelines at tech, Baylor and UNT. I just take my info from the discussions we have had. It may not be accurate, but a few guys have experience and connections. 

I see Littrel at tech, but they see otherwise. I don’t see Riley leaving if OU is a contender this year and next. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Littrell was coaching at Tech when they were ranked #2 in the nation.   He knows what they/he can do out there.

This is certainly true. However, are you better off jumping into a deal at Tech where you aren't positioned to be nearly as successful as Oklahoma, TCU, Texas, Oklahoma State, etc.? Or are you better off to wait on a place like Texas to open? This is the dilemma, but the prudent decision is to follow the path of Chris Petersen and stay here until your dream job (Oklahoma in this case) opens. 

1 hour ago, Cerebus said:

SL no doubt is doing that.  If Kansas comes calling, I don't think they are a big threat.  

Could Tech be a threat?  Depends on how much of that $70+/bbl money those guys want to slosh around. 

Kansas is on par with UTEP in the college football world...he ain't going there!

2 hours ago, UNTcrazy727 said:

Trying to kick and scream to close a thread because you don't like the thought of losing your coach is acting like a 12 year old. These "bullshit" rumors are going to be more and more prevalent as the year goes on. Are we supposed to stick our heads in the sand and ignore them until some official press release drops that Seth has been hired by a P5 school? 

And how is talking about Seth leaving make us a lesser school? Some of us happen to live in the real world and know we can't pay like most P5 schools and can accept the thought that Seth doesn't want to be at UNT forever. And when Seth does decide to leave, I have full faith that our administration will make the right hire to keep the program moving forward.

You don't act like it so go ahead and be lit...and beat this into another 10 pages.

Rick 

• Ray 1

1 minute ago, UNT Mean Green said:

This is certainly true. However, are you better off jumping into a deal at Tech where you aren't positioned to be nearly as successful as Oklahoma, TCU, Texas, Oklahoma State, etc.? Or are you better off to wait on a place like Texas to open? This is the dilemma, but the prudent decision is to follow the path of Chris Petersen and stay here until your dream job (Oklahoma in this case) opens. 

Money talks... but for the sake of the argument, let's just leave money out of this conversation.

Tech can be more successful than TCU in the long run... absolutely. 
The others, maybe... probably not, but those jobs are pretty secure right now.
You never know when the next availability at OU will be.   Riley could be the next Stoops there & remain for 20+ years.   
It would be every Mean Green fan's dream to keep Littrell around here that long...   Judging by his track record, that's just not going to happen.

And again, regarding Kansas...   Littrell got his start on Mangino's staff.   He knows how high Kansas can go.

The same arguments everyone is using about these schools were being said about North Texas as far as G5's go in 2016.  North Texas was 1-11 & lived in the ESPN bottom 10 perpetually.   Why wouldn't Littrell just continue tearing it up as OC at North Carolina and wait for the "best opportunity"?   Because he's looking to move up.   Even if he has to start at the bottom (Kansas) to move up.

• Upvote 1