Seth Littrell Rumors Mega Thread

Cerebus

There a difference between "I like working here" and "here, this is enough money for your kids to not have to worry about working."  If SL keeps winning someone will come along and backup a dump truck full of money on his lawn.  

I would hate to lose him now for many reasons, but especially because I would think that #1 in CUSA recruiting class would dissolve.   My best case scenario is him sticking around for a couple more years, winning, and landing a couple more great classes.  At that point if he leaves this is a job that a lot of up and coming top talent would really want.  

1 hour ago, Wag Tag said:

Is Harrell the automatic choice? I would think so.

Well I'd imagine he would be. UNT could offer him the position to keep our air raid offense coaching style. I don't think he is on par at being a better head coach than Littrell though. (at this moment, not saying a couple years in the future to prove himself)

I hope we can be in the position to not give up Littrell without a fight. Do what Houston did with Herman when Texas was showing interest. UH had another year and threw some money at him, before Texas finally decided take him the year after and pay more. 

Edited by GreenTexan13
  • Lovely Take 1

2 minutes ago, GreenTexan13 said:

I hope we can be in the position to not give up Littrell without a fight. Do what Houston did with Herman when Texas was showing interest. UH had another year and threw some money at him, before Texas finally decided take him the year after and pay more. 

That's actually a perfect example of how sometimes it's not just money.   UH's biggest booster is Tilman Fertitta, net worth of a somewhere around four and a half BILLION dollars. 

He pledged he would match any offer Tom Herman got.  Tom Herman left anyway.  It wasn't just the almost $30 million dollar contract, that Fertitta went on the radio and said he would have "beat handily", it's that CFB is a setup.

The big teams are the only ones with the access to the big time TV contracts, and therefor access to the playoffs the big time TV networks run.  Every coach wants to prove he is the best, and they all know they can only do that in a few places. 

8 minutes ago, Cerebus said:

That's actually a perfect example of how sometimes it's not just money.   UH's biggest booster is Tilman Fertitta, net worth of a somewhere around four and a half BILLION dollars. 

He pledged he would match any offer Tom Herman got.  Tom Herman left anyway.  It wasn't just the almost $30 million dollar contract, that Fertitta went on the radio and said he would have "beat handily", it's that CFB is a setup.

The big teams are the only ones with the access to the big time TV contracts, and therefor access to the playoffs the big time TV networks run.  Every coach wants to prove he is the best, and they all know they can only do that in a few places. 

I did not know about that. That is very true though. My only hope is that we can buy one more season to keep Littrell. If 2018 continues the way last Saturday went. I hope UNT could hold onto him for another year, before Littrell goes to the P5's. Don't know if that is plausible though.. 

7 minutes ago, Cerebus said:

Agree.  If Seth continues on his current path its not a matter of if but when he will leave.  I just think that an objective analysis would indicate that waiting for something bigger than Tech would be smart.  Even the vaunted Mike Leach averaged about 5 losses a season and never had a top 20 recruiting class.  (If memory serves) 

Who has the spreadsheet of the largest 20 TTech donors and the tail numbers of any aircraft they own? Now correlate that data against flight manafests between DTO and LBB on any day that's not Saturday (unless it's a byweek) and throw in ADS and DAL for good measure.

Please provide daily updates in another master thread. 😁

• Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 2

1 hour ago, UNTLifer said:

I honestly don't know if he would take it.  Tech is a good school with a lot of cash, but what is there potential?  Will they ever overtake UT, OU, or TCU in the Big XII?

What’s our potential? Do we ever crack the T25, win a bowl, or overtake FAU?

I don’t think Seth stays here forever, but I like your positivity.

1 hour ago, UNTLifer said:

I honestly don't know if he would take it.  Tech is a good school with a lot of cash, but what is there potential?  Will they ever overtake UT, OU, or TCU in the Big XII?  If there is a conference shake up down the road and UT and OU bolt the Big XII, is there a chance UNT gets invited should we continue our upward trajectory?  I know the tendency is to expect coaches to jump at jobs that pay more, etc... but SL strikes me differently.  There is something to be said about working for a supportive administration, BOR, AD, etc...  In fact, I think he has stated as much.  Why wouldn't he just stay and become our Patterson?

I’m hoping he becomes our Bill Snyder!

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

The potential is that when SL sleeps at night, he dreams of leading OU to a national championship.  

Let's say in 5 more years OU decides to hire a new coach.  It won't matter to them if SL stayed here all five years and averaged 10 wins.  Their donors are going to want a proven P5 coach.   

To get to his dream job, SL has to move up the ladder, rung by rung.  The next run is a lower level P5.  

3 minutes ago, Cerebus said:

The potential is that when SL sleeps at night, he dreams of leading OU to a national championship.  

Let's say in 5 more years OU decides to hire a new coach.  It won't matter to them if SL stayed here all five years and averaged 10 wins.  Their donors are going to want a proven P5 coach.   

To get to his dream job, SL has to move up the ladder, rung by rung.  The next run is a lower level P5.  

giphy.gif

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Green Mean said:

Clearly TT can money whip Seth compared to us so that is more than enough to get him out of Denton but couple of things to consider...if NT really wanted to up their game how high could we go to pay him to keep him a few more years more?  That and I would have to think there will be much better jobs he can pick from instead of going to Tech.  I don't think Tech will ever be much more than what they are now and will top out what Mike Leach did there which was really good but hardly a true threat to the big boys.  And you're going to Lubbock...no offense.  If Seth is a little more patient I have to think he'll get far better opportunities to choose from instead of TT.

I'm hoping that this is the case with Seth. Right now he is enjoying building North Texas into a winning program and (hopefully) being the main reason for the overall growth/success in athletics at NT. Plus, as someone else has pointed out, we are much closer to his family and his family's friends.  Maybe Seth could develop into the North Texas version of Gary Patterson. 

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, Cerebus said:

I don't buy that at all. Lincoln Riley had never been a HC at any level and only an OC at the P5 level for two years before OU hired him as HC. 

Project are current success out 3-5 years and any school in the nation would want Seth. Texas hired Tom Herman after only being a HC at the G5 level for two years. You really don't think OU would hire Seth after winning 8+ games at UNT for 5-8 years??

• Lovely Take 3
  • Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, UNTcrazy727 said:

I don't buy that at all. Lincoln Riley had never been a HC at any level and only an OC at the P5 level for two years before OU hired him as HC. 

Project are current success out 3-5 years and any school in the nation would want Seth. Texas hired Tom Herman after only being a HC at the G5 level for two years. You really don't think OU would hire Seth after winning 8+ games at UNT for 5-8 years??

I think OU and a program of that stature would be looking for someone that wins far more than just 8 games a year if someone is around for that number of years.  UNT would have to match or get close to seasons that Boise St., Houston, TCU etc have had.  Hell even the MAC has had a few schools that accomplished undefeated years.  

5 minutes ago, UNTcrazy727 said:

Lincoln Riley who was on staff at OU and was Bob Stoops chosen successor? 

UT knew they were taking a risky homerun shot and it's backfired in their faces.  After aTm went and got Jimbo, no way OU or Texas is going to go after a lower level coach for a while.   Their #1 plan is going to be #1) try to sell their souls to hire Saban, #2) when that doesn't work go after the next best top P5 coach.  

3 minutes ago, edcollopy said:

Does Tech want another Leach disciple?  What will be so different?

This is the ONLY THING giving me pause about Tech.   I would not be surprised to see them go with a defensive guy as their next HC.

4 minutes ago, UNTcrazy727 said:

... Lincoln Riley had never been a HC at any level and only an OC at the P5 level for two years before OU hired him as HC. 

Lincoln Riley had also been the OC under Stoops, and had Stoops' endorsement.

3 hours ago, GreenTexan13 said:

Sucks.. But Seth is going to be poached from us at some point. Just keep winnig and promote Graham Harrell to HC. 

I bet we lose Graham before Littrell.  This staff is smart they know if they win enough a giant school will come and Seth can take all his guys with him.  It really (shouldn't be) that hard to win consistently at UNT.  

2 minutes ago, Cerebus said:

Lincoln Riley who was on staff at OU and was Bob Stoops chosen successor? 

UT knew they were taking a risky homerun shot and it's backfired in their faces.  After aTm went and got Jimbo, no way OU or Texas is going to go after a lower level coach for a while.   Their #1 plan is going to be #1) try to sell their souls to hire Saban, #2) when that doesn't work go after the next best top P5 coach.  

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree. I think turning the biggest joke of a program in the nation into a perennial winner AND being an alumnus of OU with a national championship ring would be enough to calm the nerves of OU donors.  

And UT might care what A&M does, but I don't think OU could give a flip. 

• Lovely Take 1
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, Cerebus said:

Tom Herman had large school P5 OC experience at OSU. He came from a large G5 in Houston. Littrell fits the mold with his UNC OC experience and UNT MAJOR TURNAROUND. There will be better schools than Tech knocking at the door if he wins 10+ games this year, a conference championship, and potential bowl win. Even if he stays and can repeat something close to that, there will be an Oklahoma State, Large PAC-12 school, mid size Big 10 school, etc. school calling for him. It won't just be TT.