Running backs

97and03

I think we can all agree the running game was...well, in a word, bad. We had only two runs over 10 yards, and one of those was by Shanbour (the other was Smith, 17 yards). Only 68 net yards, 87 if you exclude the sack yardage.  That simply will not do in more competitive games.  I think we can also agree that most of the struggles were likely more on the line than the backs, who are fairly talented.

I was very surprised to see Easly get the start and so many carries. I am curious of everyone's thoughts on that. Is he the best back we have? Best pass blocker? 

I also noticed that they had Evan Johnson out there on 3rd down. Seemed like a pretty good role for him and he caught three passes. 

Torrey obviously has some skills based upon his KO return - and good speed as well apparently. 

Smith still might be the best of the bunch.

So what are everyone's thoughts on the running backs?  Who should start and/or get the lion's share of carries?  Do we need more screens or swing passes in the game plan if we can't run effectively?

• Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 1

I don't see it as a negative at all.

Dykes is a run first guy and knows you gotta stop the run first.  And that's what they sold out to do...and paid dearly for it.

Mason had so many options on countless plays that he could have thrown for 800 yards if he had wanted to.

Im not panicking about the run game just yet.

Rick

• Upvote 4
  • Lovely Take 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Downvote 1

6 hours ago, FirefightnRick said:

Dykes is a run first guy and knows you gotta stop the run first.  And that's what they sold out to do...and paid dearly for it.

Mason had so many options on countless plays that he could have thrown for 800 yards if he had wanted to.

Rick

I think you are on the money Rick 

Re-watching the first half of the SMU game (and adding to that the KO return), I am leaning toward Torrey as a strong contender to get more carries.  He showed a great ability to take a hit and keep his balance.  Both his return and longest run featured a defender hitting him and he was able to maintain his balance and keep moving forward. 

• Upvote 5
  • Lovely Take 1

On 9/2/2018 at 5:09 PM, FirefightnRick said:

Rick

Spot on Rick!  We got some nice runs in at times and we took what Sonny would give us.  The concerns about the running game are premature in my book!

Despite the naysayers mostly from other universities, SMU's talent was not the issue.   I suspect it is better than any team in CUSA.  They had some beasts on the defensive line.  

They also played to stop the run.   In general, SMU just was not ready for a QB with the talent of Fine.   He picked them apart with medium passes.  

There were also a lot of almost long runs were if not for one SMU defender that would have went for distance.  SMU tackled well for most of the game.   

So it is going to take a few more games, to determine if NT has an adequate running game.   At this point, I think they will do much better as teams realize that the passing game will kill them if they run a defense like the ponies.   

• Upvote 1

I agree with others. I think SMU focused on the run. And that got them burned for over 450 yards to 11 different receivers. 

Littrell wants to run the ball but he took what the D gave him. Our running game will loosen up when they focused on defending the passing game. If teams continue to focus on the run that much, Fine’s gonna throw for 5,000 yards and a whole bunch of TDs this year. 

Watching the game on Stadium now...several loss of yardage offensive plays, backs being tackled for a loss behind the line of scrimmage.  Need more consistencey getting to that second level running the football.  

On a second note, looks like the SMU defenders continue to try and injure Mason Fine...

if running the ball becomes difficult this season, pressure on the QB will mount, need to keep QB injury free to be successful

My concerns with the running game spill over into the last few games of last season. I get the zone-read is meant to be basically a gap option for QB and RB, I'm concerned at the lack of creativity I've seen over the last 3-4 games. This past week, SMU defense, 29,500 people in attendance and all of us watching online knew not just when, but more importantly how we were going to run.

I'm happy at this point to say we purposefully stayed vanilla, especially after it seemed pretty obvious SMU wasn't going to be showing up. I'm also happy to say that rolling 5 tailbacks meant no one had a chance to get in a rhythm. 

That said, moving forward, I'm hoping we find better and more inventive ways to get the ball in the hands of our backs...we have game changers...and as much as I'm a fan of the jet-sweep, I feel that utilizing an actual back like Johnson or Torrey on runs like that might prove more effective than Darden or Guyton 

• Upvote 1

Our true fullback is Cannon Maki, 5-11, 233 power house!

Cannon is a lead blocker on running plays and carry the ball up the middle when needed.

I would like to see Cannon get into the game plans more. Plays on special teams.

Kevin Smith,# 87, 6-2, 252 is a TE playing like a WR, but lines up in the back field with Mason,

then goes into motion, blocks on runs or with pass plays gets separation on DB's. Very good receiver! NFL prospect!

On 9/2/2018 at 5:09 PM, FirefightnRick said:

Rick

Yep.  I almost wonder if Sonny and the Stangs were watching game film from last year when we couldn't pass when we weren't running well.  At least this first game, it looked like we didn't care so much whether we ran, and maybe were just doing it when we did to keep them (somewhat) honest.  Great to have such talent at wr.

Regarding the running game. It's not our running backs. I wasn't surprised to see Easley start. He's a Wilson(ish) type running back. He gained over 1k yards at SFA....including a 75 yrd TD run against TCU. Our other running backs have a little more speed and quickness, but I saw them go down with ankle tackles entirely too much. I agree with the poster who said that SMU was stacked to stop the run......and paid dearly for it. I don't think future opponents will want to repeat that mistake.

UIW is the kind of opponent you can 'experiment' against, and I believe this game could get a little frustrating if the run game isn't working... because we're going to be experimenting with running the ball a lot in this game.

But, it's going to work, and Easly/Smith/Torrey/Johnson will have a big game.   Mason may only throw for 250yds.

25 minutes ago, TIgreen01 said:

SMU was definitely focused on the running game, but I still didn't like seeing so much rotation.  2-3 guys, ok.  4-5?  Way too many.

you'll see just as much rotation, if not more, this weekend. I think the only RB who didn't get into the game was Wyche (#4), and I thought that was strange considering how many times I read his name in fall practice stories.  I have a feeling the coaching staff is going to try and find out who's going to work best with the o-line before we face Arkansas.

7 minutes ago, SilverEagle said:

you'll see just as much rotation, if not more, this weekend. I think the only RB who didn't get into the game was Wyche (#4), and I thought that was strange considering how many times I read his name in fall practice stories.  I have a feeling the coaching staff is going to try and find out who's going to work best with the o-line before we face Arkansas.

I think he was dinged up during the week.

Also, they are playing a lot of people to figure out who they need to put into heavy rotation later.  I doubt they keep this many backs shuttling in/out.