University of Incarnate Word Preview

Danish43

2 hours ago, Prettylittleeagle said:

Might be a dumb question...but...what are we paying UIW for this game? Surely we are paying them since its a body bag game?

I don't know offhand about monetary payment but I pray to God that we're not paying them little mind!  We have to come out hot again this week and put them away before they give us any problems.

• Upvote 1

43 minutes ago, UNT 90 Grad said:

According to ESPN's Matchup Predictor, we currently have a 99.3% chance of winning this battle of the birds.

http://www.espn.com/college-football/game?gameId=401014987

That's all well and good but did they take into account Incarnate Word's secret play?   

the Hail Mary!

• Haha 7

17 hours ago, Harry said:

Here's the box score and write-up from the Incarnate Word game against New Mexico:

https://uiwcardinals.com/news/2018/9/1/football-new-mexico-defeats-uiw-in-season-opener.aspx

Their QB is Jon Copeland a freshman from Argyle:  https://uiwcardinals.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=7272

Copeland hit 17 of 36 passes for 328 yards and a touchdown.

Copeland can sling it. At one time he, Nick starkel and our current ‘19 QB commit Keuhne were all 3 at Liberty Christian in Argyle:.. talk about a QB run full of dudes.  

• Upvote 3

10 hours ago, 97and03 said:

I hope we execute well early and get a substantial lead.  I would be happy if FIne has low numbers and did not play the second half.  I think this will a run-heavy game for us. 

I agree.
This is the kind of game you use to work on things you need to improve upon.

I wouldn't be surprised to see the 1st quarter look a lot like SMU, but after that, a lot of Easly & Smith running the ball.

2 hours ago, ipd054 said:

We lost to SMU 31 - 45.  Daniel Meager threw for 601 yards.

Most passing touchdowns in a game was 8 against Navy by Giovanni Vizza vs. Navy, in 2007 another loss 62 - 74.

Source:https://s3.amazonaws.com/meangreensports.com/documents/2017/8/31/_ntex_m_footbl_2017_18_misc_non_event__2017_North_Texas_Fact_Book_v3.pdf

Yes. And I was at both of those games to the bitter end. 😞

200w.gif

3 minutes ago, southsideguy said:

Never forget Portland State!

The dichotomy between the two teams cannot even be put into words.   
The 2015 team & the 2018 team are polar opposites in just about every facet imaginable.
So yeah, until we see another team like 2015 again (which, once-in-a-lifetime should sum that one up), we can forget Portland State.

8 minutes ago, southsideguy said:

we thought we paid them to come and get beat.  I never saw this game going the way it did.  Just saying dont overlook anyone.  Heck they might be better then SMUT.

I get what you're saying.

It's just misleading because of the important details that are being ignored.

I think it's safe for us, as fans, to overlook them.   

For the team?   Absolutely not.   And I'm fairly certain the team is preparing for UIW & watching UIW game film instead of prepping for the Hogs.

The team better be concentrating on IW and not looking ahead, for a few reasons I can think of:

They are college athletes and will show up; we will get their best shot.

The ball sometimes takes funny bounces and assignments get missed; stuff happens.

Getting caught out of position or not tackling can change things in a hurry.

Carrot - Coming out hot and putting game out of reach early means more reps for backups and more rest for regulars going into a road game with the Hogs.

Just some thoughts I had that should contribute to our success this week and, indirectly, the following week.  JMHO.

P.S. Size DOES Matter!

CardinalBeaks.gif.71ea84d33e6c343d66a2d2ca7e986d79.gifEglSzeMtters.gif.4330e4a69abbce3387a4414495c88aed.gif

Edited by EagleMBA

On 9/4/2018 at 3:05 PM, TheColonyEagle said:

Their offense very well could be better than SMU's

They are coming here to make a statement and we'll get their best shot. I expect the game to be interesting and not a total blowout. It looked like SMU thought all they had to do was show up and go through the motions.

On 9/4/2018 at 3:05 PM, TheColonyEagle said:

Their offense very well could be better than SMU's

I dunno.  SMUs OL is probably way better, & Proche is probably better than any IW receiver.  SMUs running backs are pretty good too.  I’ll refrain from comparing QBs.

I think our defense is better than New Mexico’s, & I think IW will feel that early.