Another thought from game 1

TheColonyEagle

51 minutes ago, RiseUNT said:

Fine missed Guyton a couple times after he got behind the coverage. Left some stats on the table.

Yeah, I think he misjudged the wind on a few deep ones and/or left a couple too flat.  I didn't like one deep one that was dangerous into double coverage.  Otherwise, I'm lovin' what I see.

Big difference from prior seasons is that the MG have a stable of very good receivers, and a QB who knows where they are and are going to be on every play.

Fine made a couple of plays last night that telegraphed how much time he has put in in the film room.  On a couple of plays, he had to go to second and third reads, and did so effortlessly.  When he put the ball where it needed to be, the receiver made the catch.  Its obvious that a lot of work has been done in the off season to get better.  

If Fine can stay upright, this can be a very special season for UNT.

• Upvote 5

52 minutes ago, MEANGREENCOACH2 said:

With the attention that Guyton is going to get I really think Rico stat wise is going to have the better year.

Hot take, Rico is the best WR we have, yes better than Guyton, and Guyton is really really good

• Upvote 5

4 hours ago, TheColonyEagle said:

Is it possible our Receivers are even better than advertised?

Man. They are good. I mean. Scary good. 

I heard one of Seth's late off season interviews and in I detected an effort not to overstate the talent he has in that receivers room.  That being said I think the only way to have a prayer to stop this offense with a healthy Fine and receivers is to get pressure with 4 pass rushers or less.  Fine can read coverages even better now.  So if you give him time and he isn't pressing the make the big play it is death by a thousand cuts.   Think they are going to see a lot of exotic zone blitzes later in the year.  (if the offensive line and back pick up regular 5 man blitzes better than they did against SMU).

Edited by Mike Jackson
  • Upvote 1

49 minutes ago, Mike Jackson said:

I heard one of Seth's late off season interviews and in I detected an effort not to overstate the talent he has in that receivers room.  That being said I think the only way to have a prayer to stop this offense with a healthy Fine and receivers is to get pressure with 4 pass rushers or less.  Fine can read coverages even better now.  So if you give him time and he isn't pressing the make the big play it is death by a thousand cuts.   Think they are going to see a lot of exotic zone blitzes later in the year.  (if the offensive line and back pick up regular 5 man blitzes better than they did against SMU).

Bring on the 6 man blitzes... hot read ALL DAY LONG and if they miss the tackle look out it’s house!

• Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, GMG24 said:

Bring on the 6 man blitzes... hot read ALL DAY LONG and if they miss the tackle look out it’s house!

No good defensive coordinator with competant defensive line talent is going to try 6 man blitz against this team (outside their own 30 yard-line).  With a six man blitz you have to play man to man and no team outside of Arkansas on this schedule has the athletes to thrive against the UNT receiving core doing that.  Now  if they prove they prove they can beat some exotic zone blitzes and he starts to get desperate maybe.  Also if the blitz protection isn't good Fine can make the right read but get hit while pulling the trigger.

Edited by Mike Jackson

1 hour ago, Mike Jackson said:

No good defensive coordinator with competant defensive line talent is going to try 6 man blitz against this team (outside their own 30 yard-line).  With a six man blitz you have to play man to man and no team outside of Arkansas on this schedule has the athletes to thrive against the UNT receiving core doing that.  Now  if they prove they prove they can beat some exotic zone blitzes and he starts to get desperate maybe.  Also if the blitz protection isn't good Fine can make the right read but get hit while pulling the trigger.

Maybe, if he’s late seeing it.  I think teams won’t have time to bring 5 and drop 6 in some zone concept.  We struggled most with man blitzes bringing 6... that’s how I’d try and beat us.  If you complete it and we screw up it is what it is, but I’m not letting Fine get comfortable

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Ray 1

18 hours ago, Mike Jackson said:

It’s paramount importance we get the run game going this week as we move deeper into the season. Put he defense in a dilemma- stack the box we beat you deep. Protect against the pass we pound the front into submission. 

17 hours ago, GreenGuy123 said:

Weird. This is the first time I can remember where it’s the QB and WRs I have confidence in. When was the last time RB was the position with question marks?

I have been thinking this same thing.   It seems like our running game is always ahead of passing game for as long as I can remember, with the exception of a couple of years when they were probably equal.     Think of what a healthy Jeffrey Wilson would add to the team this year.  Yikes.

Edited by akriesman
  • Upvote 1