New Turf Looks Great

Mad Hatter

11 hours ago, GreenBacker said:

Anyone still getting this to work online?  I've tried on my phone and computer and it says  the content isn't available.  Only think I can find on Stadium is highlights.  

I just tried it right now, Monday morning, and it's all still there.  Maybe my link is tied to my computer or something.  Wish I could help further.  The Stadium search feature for videos is lacking at best. 

13 hours ago, untcampbell said:

Haven't seen any posts about the "cooler" turf. Didn't mention it on the Stadium replay. Has anyone heard if the turf is noticeably cooler? Uniforms appeared to be less sweat soaked, but I guessed that was related to the level of competition we were up against.

GMG

The pre-game radio talk discussed the ~35 degree difference and messed up a joke.  They were going for something along the lines of "If later games are 50 degrees, will the field be frozen", but they said if "games are 0 degrees".

What's the reason for the expected cooler temp? Different material, looser packing, sub-surface??? 

I bet if the hotter pro stadiums weren't mostly indoors now, they'd probably add some sort of water circulation system to their fields similar to the floor heating systems used in bathrooms.

22 hours ago, untcampbell said:

Haven't seen any posts about the "cooler" turf. Didn't mention it on the Stadium replay. Has anyone heard if the turf is noticeably cooler? Uniforms appeared to be less sweat soaked, but I guessed that was related to the level of competition we were up against.

GMG

Yes substantially.... it’s still hot as can be, but there is a CLEAR difference between that turf and the ones I’ve coached on before. 

• Upvote 1

The 3 layer system is composed with a first layer of sand, for a heavy and stable surface. Then, the patented mix of sand and cryogenic SBR (rubber) is used to propose a high stability for the player and the field. The final layer is composed of cork, a 100% natural component, absorbing the heat and shocks.

Basically by using cork instead of the black rubber the turf is cooler...and safer.   

It appears to me that there is more fill flying around when players impact the turf in whatever way, compared to the old turf. I don't know much about turf but I suspect it is just because it has not been in place long enough to settle. Or could it be a characteristic of the cork fill versus rubber?