UNT has record crowd for 2018 SMU win

DeepGreen

4 minutes ago, Cooke County Kid said:

Best attended home game I have attended ever.  I graduated in 1980.  The bottom bowl was full all around the stadium.  Best attendance on the west side of Apogee since it opened.  This week, since we filled the place ourselves, lets see how we can do when we Beat the Cardinals.  Those that were there come back and those that were not come joins us for a special year!!.  How many home games have we won in a row, 9-10?

I think it is 8

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, FirefightnRick said:

I was at Fouts at its first sellout against SFA in 1988.

I was at its second sellout against SMU in 1990.

I was there at Fouts for the Baylor game in 2003.

I was at Apogee for the Houston game in 2011.

And I was there last night and that was BY FAR...HANDS DOWN...the largest collection of NT fans to attend on campus event I've ever witnessed.  

Congratulations to WB and company.  Y'all just set another bar never reached before.  Let's keep climbing!

IMG_8001.PNG.b2fcc2ac104d4aac714e30785bae12b7.PNG

Rick

My point exactly. I have no idea how many were there. But I have zero doubt it's the most that's ever been in Apogee. I'm not going to debate the "analytics for a living guy" on how many seats were open per 25. But if someone says there were more at the Houston game, they're delusional. Anyone at both of those games that was taking pictures would see the difference.

• Upvote 4
  • Haha 1

Since everyone else gives opinions - here is mine.

The students came out - that is great! The alumni filled in a bit more than I have noticed in the past. 

I sit in the club level with the other monocle wearing 1%'ers at UNT. My observations are somewhat different than @Cerebus. My section had the same empty seats they had last year. As far as selling out the club, I really think this AD is all out optics and positive thinking -- which is good -- but is just the reality. My friend got married in the summer and decided to add a seat to his plan, which he had no problem doing and signing the paperwork last week. The club didn't look noticeably any fuller. The row in front of mine was empty, minus the two people that sometimes show up. The sections to the right of my seats was fairly empty too, just the normal faces. 

Also, when I look down on the 'family section', which is also the recruit section, it was was exactly what @KingDL1said. It was rows of empty.. You can zoom in the picture as see it, clear as day. That is almost how it normally is during games -- but yes -- there were definitely more people. just not butt to butt with a packed house. 

The longest line was the soda line, because they can't figure out how to keep the secret soda machine inservice.  Why can't they get an ice machine that can keep up with demand? One ice machine for that whole level is just silly. 

I think it was about the same as Houston, but with all that said, what a fun game! Even if I don't think the crowd was any larger than the Houston game, I think it was definitely louder and more into it. 

Onto commentary of the AD performance: Of my two friend bases that I tailgate and sit with ... BOTH of them had ticket troubles. One never got their packet and when trying to track it down, his name was not even on the mailing list. They have been in the club since day one! The other couple had theirs mailed to an address in Dallas that they haven't lived in nearly 10 years. Both of them got PDFs mailed to them ... with generic parking passes. That led to them having to bounce around parking lot attendants trying to get into their assigned spots.  I know they switched billing/ticket services this year, but damn man, how can they get it wrong so often? I picked my seats up at the Mean Green Mania because I like having them in hand as early as possible. 

Edited by SteaminWillieBeamin
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1
  • Downvote 1

Regarding attendance comparisons between this game and opener with Houston, the debate reminds me of two bald men fighting over a comb.Both crowds were big, although I have had club seats since the get-go and was surprised how many seats were empty all night. I think our new administration counts tickets sold, not butts in the seat. Similar to the size of Trump's inaugural crowd vs. that of Obama.

• Thanks 1
  • Downvote 2

6 hours ago, FirefightnRick said:

I was at Fouts at its first sellout against SFA in 1988.   -- Same

I was at its second sellout against SMU in 1990.  -- Same

I was there at Fouts for the Baylor game in 2003.  -- Same

I was at Apogee for the Houston game in 2011.  -- Same

And I was there last night and that was BY FAR...HANDS DOWN...the largest collection of NT fans to attend on campus event I've ever witnessed.  -- Correct, and it's not even close.  What a time to be a Mean Green Fan!

Congratulations to WB and company.  Y'all just set another bar never reached before.  Let's keep climbing!

-- I also attended a lot of Fouts Field games where there were *maybe* a few thousand in the stands.  We've come a long way.

IMG_8001.PNG.b2fcc2ac104d4aac714e30785bae12b7.PNG

Rick

• Upvote 2

Great game and great crowd.  I'm not sure if there were as many people there that were announced but I too sit in the club seats and I felt there was more energy and passion there in the club but I didn't feel it was that much more full than previous years of good crowd games but I have been told the club seats sales have increased.

Regarding the rest of the crowd once everything settled it looked pretty full however there were enough patches(albeit small) that probably also had an impact of perceived attendance numbers.  I don't think this matters either way folks.  Also I've said that many times and I'll say it again that I do not want any fans or rely on any fans travelling to Apogee filling up our house.  I was perfectly fine with SMU bringing what they did.  It only meant that there were much more NT fans there and that just means a much better impact on those people and future.

• Upvote 2

I think they count seats sold. Saying that, I would say this was the best ratio of reported attendance to butts in seats I can recall. Looking at the TV replay and the view I had of the stadium from Section 110 (and briefly from two rows in front of my club seats), that was the biggest crowd I have seen in Apogee. And I have been to all but one.

GMG

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, GrandGreen said:

I have been to every game at Apogee also and I have no idea or care whether the opening UH or the last game had the most attendance. 

But yet you post in an attendance thread? 😎

Good crowd no matter what

5 minutes ago, KingDL1 said:

But yet you post in an attendance thread? 😎

Good crowd no matter what

I guess you have not noticed that there is a lot more involved in this thread than which game was better attended. 

Like my issues, which was waiting an hour circling the stadium to get to the parking lot and then being turned back and told by a very rude policewoman that there was no entry allowed by that route despite following the directions on the ticket. 

Than finding someone parked in our parking place.  Missing the the first five minutes of the game and of course other people in our seats.   This is all attendance related and I wanted to see how many others had the same issues.  I talked to several at the game who had similar experiences.  

It was a great game, but NT was certainly not prepared for the crowd.  

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, GrandGreen said:

I guess you have not noticed that there is a lot more involved in this thread than which game was better attended. 

Like my issues, which was waiting an hour circling the stadium to get to the parking lot and then being turned back and told by a very rude policewoman that there was no entry allowed by that route despite following the directions on the ticket. 

Than finding someone parked in our parking place.  Missing the the first five minutes of the game and of course other people in our seats.   This is all attendance related and I wanted to see how many others had the same issues.  I talked to several at the game who had similar experiences.  

It was a great game, but NT was certainly not prepared for the crowd.  

If you can get there early come visit our tailgate. Such great problems to have, At 10:45 am there was no issues and the parking people were still in a good mood I guess.

I hope they fix everything and at the same time I would like this game to be our lowest attended game of the season. 

20 minutes ago, KingDL1 said:

If you can get there early come visit our tailgate. Such great problems to have, At 10:45 am there was no issues and the parking people were still in a good mood I guess.

I hope they fix everything and at the same time I would like this game to be our lowest attended game of the season. 

I got there at a little after 3 and there were zero problems parking...right next to you.  Pulled right in, no lines...nothing.

So for those who can't use the previous 8 months to plan ahead I'd say at least give yourself 3 hours prior to kick off.

Rick

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, DeepGreen said:

Get this.  I pull into my spot at the AC. Same spot I’ve had since Apogee was built.  Low and behold, there’s a car parked in my spot!!!  And the friggin car had an SMU sticker on it!  Sumbitch pony fan parked in my spot!   The friggin nerve!

Them bastards

18 hours ago, Cerebus said:

My row in the club has 12 seats, last year we had 4 people in it, never have had more than 6 in any year.

Last night there was 10, and the two empty seats were at a wedding.  I know for sure club sales are way up and that is huge because you don't get to sit up there without writing a check of some size.

I noticed in the membership guide that my donor classification has dropped a category while giving the same amount of money.  Wren is out for blood -- I mean cash, and he seems to be getting it.  I've got one more year of stadium gifts, then my MGC contribution will go up slightly, but I'll be done with the monthly payments.  I am still somewhat concerned that the MGC contributions will go up enough to price me out of my seats at some point in the not too far off future.  Fortunately, if I mentally keep the stadium payment in my mentality, I think I've got a bit of wiggle room before things get too hairy. 

• Downvote 1

10 hours ago, KingDL1 said:

Thanks, actually the game got us in a much better mood.  If NT had lost it would have been a disaster of a day. 

14 hours ago, SteaminWillieBeamin said:

The longest line was the soda line, because they can't figure out how to keep the secret soda machine inservice.  Why can't they get an ice machine that can keep up with demand? One ice machine for that whole level is just silly. 

Why they don't have an ice machine on top of that fountain is beyond me.  I know all too well they're expensive and Coke will give you the fountain but not the ice machine... but it can pay for itself in labor saved and customer goodwill.

Edited by Pavlovs Eagle
  • Lovely Take 2