Mason Fine Stat Watch 2018

BillySee58

First QB in North Texas history to have back to back 400-yard passing games.

Fine is now at 6,486 career yards passing.

Fine is now 437 passing yards away from Scott Davis who is 4th in school history, 590 away from Steve Ramsey who is 3rd in school history for career passing yards, and 961 behind Derek Thompson for 2nd in school history. So the next time we see Mason play in Apogee, there’s a decent chance we see him move into 2nd place in school history for passing yards.

Fine threw his 41st, 42nd, 43rd, and 44th career passing touchdowns tonight, which moved his past Scott Davis and Derek Thompson for 4th place in school history. Scott Hall is next at 50 career passing TDs.

So to get to number one for career passing yards, Fine needs 2,034 more passing yards, and to get to number one for career passing TDs, Fine needs 26 more passing TDs. 

• Upvote 2
  • Lovely Take 1

3 minutes ago, BillySee58 said:

Fine is now 437 passing yards away from Scott Davis who is 4th in school history, 590 away from Steve Ramsey who is 3rd in school history for career passing yards, and 961 behind Derek Thompson for 2nd in school history. So the next time we see Mason play in Apogee, there’s a decent chance we see him move into 2nd place in school history for passing yards.

Fine threw his 41st, 42nd, 43rd, and 44th career passing touchdowns tonight, which moved his past Scott Davis and Derek Thompson for 4th place in school history. Scott Hall is next at 50 career passing TDs.

So to get to number one for career passing yards, Fine needs 2,034 more passing yards, and to get to number one for career passing TDs, Fine needs 26 more passing TDs. 

He will do it this year. 

2 hours ago, greenjoe said:

What are the records Vizza still holds that Mason can take over ?

Great win tonight.  Beat the Hogs

GO MEAN GREEN

Without checking...I think they are single game and possible single season stats. Didn't Vizza have like 600+ yards and like 6 or 7 tds in one game? Not sure about the season records but if he stays healthy and consistent he will probably knock those out.

6 hours ago, greenjoe said:

GO MEAN GREEN

3 hours ago, JesseMartin said:

Without checking...I think they are single game and possible single season stats. Didn't Vizza have like 600+ yards and like 6 or 7 tds in one game? Not sure about the season records but if he stays healthy and consistent he will probably knock those out.

Vizza threw for touchdowns in the loss against Navy.

http://www.espn.com/college-football/game?gameId=273140249

Mason needs to throw 9 touchdowns in a game to beat it.  That’s a tough one.

Edited by UNT 90 Grad
  • Upvote 2

10 hours ago, greenjoe said:

GO MEAN GREEN

Vizza holds the record for TDS in a game.  That crazy total yards output against Navy, however, is still second to what Meager did against SMU. Someone correct me if I’m wrong.

2 hours ago, greenminer said:

Vizza holds the record for TDS in a game.  That crazy total yards output against Navy, however, is still second to what Meager did against SMU. Someone correct me if I’m wrong.

The Navy game was entertaining even as a loss. 

You are correct on the Meager. Threw the ball 60+ times for over 600yds against SMU. 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, greenminer said:

Thanks for reminding me of the Navy game, y’all.  I vividly remember how disconnected I felt in what should be considered an exciting game. Watching both teams score every 3 plays just completely defeated the part of me that likes exciting defense.

I felt the same way.  Like watching a tennis match as much as my head swiveled back and forth.  It was memorable but far from my favorite game.

Fine is now up to 6,767 passing yards and 45 TDs on his career. Scott Davis is fourth in school history with 6,923 yards and Steve Ramsey is third with 7,076. Fine needs 310 yards to pass both of them. Then next up would be Derek Thompson at 7,447. 

Still a decent shot that Fine could pass into second place in school history in passing yards the next time we see him in Apogee.

• Lovely Take 1

On 9/8/2018 at 10:40 PM, BillySee58 said:

I think I'm correct on each of these, but my memory ain't so good...

Scott Davis - QB the last time we were 3-0

Derek Thompson - QB of our last bowl win

Steve Ramsey - last QB to play significant time in NFL (or at all?)

Not bad company for MF.  Also, not surprising these are my 4 most favorite QBs ever.

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...
14 minutes ago, BillySee58 said:

Been slacking on this one but Mason Fine is now just 350 yards from breaking Mitch Maher’s record for career passing yards in NT Football history. Long time coming on this one and maybe we see it on Homecoming.

and they've lost 2 games since you updated this information....coincidence???

Fine came up just 17 yards shy of breaking Mitch Maher’s record for career passing yards. He now stands at 8,503 career passing yards, with Maher’s record at 8,519. Looks like Fine will get that record on the road in two weeks at ODU.

Once Fine breaks the record the stat watch will start becoming about where he can end up on the NCAA all-time leaderboard. It’s conceivable that he could crack the top 10 in NCAA history.

Also, for the season Fine is coincidentally just 18 yards away from passing Derek Thompson’s 2013 season for 3rd in single-season passing yards in school history. He’s also 225 from passing Maher’s 1994 season to move into 2nd place behind the record Fine set last year.

Edited by BillySee58
  • Upvote 2

How do you replace a Mason Fine?  You dont but you develope a great oline to protect the qb and give him time to make throws.  If Mason wasnt running for his life all the time he numbers that have not been seen.  I think he is that good.  I consider last night an off game for him but it was good game stats for  him.  We have to stop dropping passes.  Great to see the Law man make the catches. He always seems to make the cacthes when we need him too.  I think he might have the best hands on the team or the most consistent hands on the team.

Good to see the tight ends had some balls thrown to them last night.