The Band

UNTLifer

4 hours ago, UNT 90 Grad said:

I think that would be too similar to the MOB (Marching Owl Band) from Rice.

rice.jpg

So. We look like every other marching band now. Change it up a little. The mob is unruly. Give me black fedoras, dark green sports coats, black tie and sunglasses. Unique.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, meangreenJW said:

Not to state the obvious but one of those groups are well trained and conditioned athletes. The others, not so much. I don't have a huge issue with the shorts. Don't want anyone passing out and interrupting the game, LOL.

The band practices in air conditioned gyms all day long? 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, Hunter Green said:

So. We look like every other marching band now. Change it up a little. The mob is unruly. Give me black fedoras, dark green sports coats, black tie and sunglasses. Unique.

Stanford band does the same kind of thing as the MOB- not as well, imo. I like it. 

8 hours ago, oldguystudent said:

I asked my daughter this weekend why she didn't go out for the Green Brigade.  Hailing from the Lewisville HS marching band, one of the most BORING, but technically sound marching bands in the land, she responded that the Green Brigade doesn't take their technique seriously enough.  

Ouch, baby.  Ouch. 

dennis fisher (spelling) was an amazing marching band leader and paid attention to everything...williams does not

6 hours ago, MeanGreen17 said:

Former Green Brigade member here. I just want to point out a couple of things for the sake of pointing them out. In regards to the uniform, they are insanely hot and way worse then the ones I wore in high school. There is an added layer on the uniform then a traditional uniform, so the band can have different looks. With that, the uniform doesn't breathe at all and traps in all the heat. Comparing a long sleeve uniform that is being worn by (mostly) non athletes to athletic wear that has been specially designed for athletes to wear isn't fair. So hate on whoever designed to go with the "new" uniforms. I know many of the Texas college bands don't wear the same material as GB. Also, keep in mind the band does rehearse hours before game time in the stadium.

In regards to the start/stopping of Go Mean Green, I don't know why it's a thing. To my understanding, it done to distract the visiting team since by then they know how the chant goes. I do know some of the student section gets a kick out of it, but also many don't understand it. 

That is all. Carry on.

former member here as well, 95-97....we wore our uniforms for every game...took off the coat for the third quarter...marched 3 shows a year...not this half asses shit that williams does now...he was my drum major so he knows what the green brigade should be about.

• Upvote 5
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Thanks 1

They look silly sound great.  You have to appreciate a smart attire to drive a smart attire.  Look at the leader.  Casual not crisp. It is what it is.  The poor part and difficult segment of the gameday experience to address.

I thanked the band on the way out.  They energized from the stands.

GMG

@UNTLifer has me converted.  I thought the bands march through the hill was pathetic.  Only the drum line played.  A drum lined that looked smaller than usual.  The rest of the band was just jacking around displaying  zero showmanship.  Why in the world would you not play something to get the fans whipped up as you march through the tailgating area?

• Upvote 1

41 minutes ago, HoustonEagle said:

@UNTLifer has me converted.  I thought the bands march through the hill was pathetic.  Only the drum line played.  A drum lined that looked smaller than usual.  The rest of the band was just jacking around displaying  zero showmanship.  Why in the world would you not play something to get the fans whipped up as you march through the tailgating area?

100 percent agree with this. I felt we were in bizarro world. Our band was lifeless and our football team was nails. 

I'm not a great judge of musuc but no one cares to see a couple guys on drums followed by a bunch of people dressed in a Summer Gap ad while carrying instruments they didn't bother playing. Then they expect the masses to be entertained by unentertaining tuba players that the gaggle of kids we took between our giant group of friends all thought were terrible. 

Everyone is a critic, I know that, the band can surely hit the notes but obviously doesn't have imagination or care about performing. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

They are loud.

I have never seen them ranked as a university marching band but yet they are  proclaimed as the best in the land I get confused.  I  do a quick web search each year even on the extended rankings I never see our band. https://www.greatvaluecolleges.net/35-great-college-marching-bands/

I do admit its a simple search so maybe I am missing something. 

Should our football team proclaim themselves to be national champs? 

4 minutes ago, KingDL1 said:

They are loud.

I have never seen them ranked as a university marching band but yet they are  proclaimed as the best in the land I get confused.  I  do a quick web search each year even on the extended rankings I never see our band. https://www.greatvaluecolleges.net/35-great-college-marching-bands/

I do admit it a simple search so maybe I am missing something. 

All that best band and drum line in the land stuff came from a Bleacher Report article and was one person's opinion.   

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, GrandGreen said:

All that best band and drum line in the land stuff came from a Bleacher Report article and was one person's opinion.   

I have had guests at the game ask me and I never know what to say. Good to know thank you.

11 hours ago, KingDL1 said:

My dreams of a self proclaimed National Championship died when FAU lost to Oklahoma... All FAU had to do was beat Oklahoma, we go undefeated and beat FAU, and Oklahoma go to CFB Playoff Championship game and win with only one loss to FAU.

2018 National Champions University of North Texas!

Edited by Pavlovs Eagle
  • Upvote 1